TSN: Leafs are highly motivated to deal

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Just tweeted by Dreger.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 15m

I doubt there are many teams as motivated to make deals as the Leafs are. Nonis is virtually willing to listen to offers on everyone.

What does this say for our future? Team had their best season in 9 years and it seems like Nonis wants to blow it up. I really hope he doesn't set this franchise back. Is Leiweke involved?

What say you?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Just tweeted by Dreger.

I doubt there are many teams as motivated to make deals as the Leafs are. Nonis is virtually willing to listen to offers on everyone.

What does this say for our future? Team had their best season in 9 years and it seems like Nonis wants to blow it up. I really hope he doesn't set this franchise back.

What say you?

How could you read this as a bad thing?

IMO Nonis learned from his past by sitting on his hands for a little too long. Now, he sees TML as being on the cusp of becoming a contender for a long time, he sees now as the time for adding pieces to get us there. We're 2 pieces away, a center and a #2 d-man.

The french connection:
Bernier
Lecavalier
Letang

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Seems like he wants to make it his team. Also he has been criticized in the past as to being too patient and unwilling to do big moves, now he may be trying to shake that label by going overboard with moves, we will see within 10 days.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Unless people think that our team is a cup contender as currently constructed, this is welcome news.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After landing Bernier and addressing the goalie situation, Nonis has moved his attention to the defense and centers for improvement.

"Good teams are built from the goalie out, through strong defense and strength down the middle".

Nonis is simply trying to shape the team into a contender by using the age old tried and tested blue print methodology.

Many of Leafs previous top assets were turned into wingers the least important position on a hockey team, and now Nonis is willing to parlay those assets into positions of need.. He has no untouchables and lots of holes he would like to fill.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This is great news.

Our current core isn't good enough to win the Cup.

Let's not be under the same spell Montreal is under.

They think Subban is amazing, Price is elite, Pacioretty will figure it out in the playoffs, Galchenyuk will be Toews etc etc.

Improve our roster to compete in the playoffs...not the regular season.

We need to get tougher across the board...find players that can skate and be effective in transition and get more pucks to the net.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Just tweeted by Dreger.

What does this say for our future? Team had their best season in 9 years and it seems like Nonis wants to blow it up. I really hope he doesn't set this franchise back. Is Leiweke involved?

What say you?

I don't say anything until I see what deals actually get done. We should have no untouchables, if the right offer comes along you take it. I loved the Bernier deal, hopefully we're in store for more of the same (i.e quantity for quality deals).

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Some wheeling and dealing could get us as potential cup contenders.

But then again it could have a negative effect.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This season, with a falling cap and compliance buy-outs, there will be some very good players available and if he can upgrade the team, without compromising the core of good young players, then I say go for it.

Change just for the sake of change, shouldn't enter into the plan but I think that maybe, 3-4 additions, could make us a top team in the league.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs enter off-season with plenty of areas to improve

That said, Nonis doesn’t plan to sit back and simply hope it will happen again.

“We took some significant steps,” Nonis said. “But there’s room for improvement. We need to get better. We need to add more pieces. We’ve taken some significant steps but we’re not there.

“[Coach] Randy [Carlyle], myself, our staff, we feel the same way about how our team needs to play, and the pieces that we need to acquire or develop, and we’re going to go about our jobs to try and do that.”

Full Story: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...h-plenty-of-areas-to-improve/article11982638/

No resting on his laurels it does seem Nonis is willing to be a man of action and mold the Leafs into a contender.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Its all for hits

No. Nonis truly is going to be all over the place this offseason.

Even Elliote Friedman has said that two GM's have been all over the place trying to get deals done: Craig MacTavish and Dave Nonis.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Our current needs are: # 1 C, Top-4 Veteran defender, and size in the top-6.

We have lots of options to fill those holes through both free agency and the draft.

At the draft, we could move up to CAR or EDM's picks and snag one of Monahan or Lindholm, or even go after guys like Statsny, Gagner, or Clutterbuck.

Through free agency, lots of pieces like Lecavelier, Scuderi, and Clarkson will be available.

It makes sense that Nonis is looking to make moves, as there are a lot of moves out there to be made. Hopefully he makes the right ones.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
You know what would really be news ? If the Leafs weren't highly motivated to make a deal.

And how do you propose we go about getting to the stage where we don't have to be highly motivated to make a deal? East contenders Pittsburgh and Boston made deals. Chicago did as well. To become a contender, you have to shake it up.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Nonis is going to do something big to make this 'his' team. I have a feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad