TSN: Leafs are highly motivated to deal

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Stats don't tell the whole story, but they tell a heck of a lot more than the "I watch the games" argument.

What do you see in this?

2012669_f260.jpg

Either ends of the colour spectrum, a vase/maybe a goblet and 2 people about to kiss (Tlusty and Wellwood). Is that all Professor Rorschach? :sarcasm: ;)

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I think Nonis really tries to get Clarkson but the quoted part from Dreger/TSN is just what every Leafs GM says. Burke said the same thing when he was hired. He's not going to rebuild/draft, he's building from the goalie out, he's not waiting 5 yrs to build, nada nada, blah,blah....

Then he made some of the most stupid trades.

Hopefully, the Leafs have learned their lesson about judging talent and don't gut their few good prospects/pieces (I think it's safe to say Gardiner can be included in that bunch).

Letang shouldn't cost as much as some are saying because Pittsburgh is getting squeezed out because of cap reasons. But, he's more of a luxury item than a need. He might help on the PP and he's a PMD but he's an upgrade on the type of dman Gardiner is.

I think Phaneuf is expendable because he won't want any less than he gets now (6.5 mill.) and he's not worth that, imho.

Some interesting UFA and cap issues might give Nonis some options but for the sake of Leaf fans, they better hope he's smart about it. I think the Leafs are still missing some major pieces of the puzzle before they're real contenders.
Bang on. Well thought out post. I hope Nonis sticks with his young-for-young trade style and keeps on drafting and developing. I don't see us anywhere near being a perennial contender and that takes time. Abandoning the game plan now and believing we are close sends us back to the past decades of trading youth and picks for aging veterans past their primes.We finally have it going in the right direction. Let's not change course now.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Either ends of the colour spectrum, a vase/maybe a goblet and 2 people about to kiss (Tlusty and Wellwood). Is that all Professor Rorschach? :sarcasm: ;)

Correct Your eyes see different things depending on how you choose to view it.

That is all.

Last edited:

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
So your eyes see different things depending on how you choose to view it.

That is all.

Hang on, before you go thinking you've come up with some smartass response, if he were to recognize only one item, you would argue that he is narrow-minded, but because he can point out more than one aspect to the picture, you say he changes his mind easily?

You make no sense when posting that picture. You have actually proven absolutely nothing.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Very confused about the Letang stuff. It seemed that during the playoffs he was the whipping boy for the Pens poor performances on defense, and now we're supposed to pay the guy $7M-$8M for the next 6-8 years AND give up young, controllable - and most importantly - good assets to do so? Count me out.
I agree.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hang on, before you go thinking you've come up with some smartass response, if he were to recognize only one item, you would argue that he is narrow-minded, but because he can point out more than one aspect to the picture, you say he changes his mind easily?

You make no sense when posting that picture. You have actually proven absolutely nothing.

Do you understand the context?

I wasn't directing my response to that poster specifically, nor was my intention to insult him. It was a general response about viewing something.

The OP I put the picture in was discussing stats vs watching the games. The picture is an example of how things can appear differently depending on how one chooses to look at them.

It proves what I intended it to prove.
Bias and perception can affect how something is viewed,

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Somebody on here says that TSN said something huge is brewing between SJ and you guys. Did anybody else hear this? I don't believe it's true.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
only on toronto hf boards does mentality such as this exists. ya forget the norris candidate...let's go with gunnarsson and frasor and costco again.

Letang would be an amazing pickup. I would just hate to deal Gardiner to get him though.

If we deal Gardiner I would rather it be as part of a package for Mackinnon.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Probably same guy, or someone who saw the post here on hf. If it was actually said, way more people would have heard it.

Exactly.

Hfboards is the largest hockey board in existence.

I went and watched the relevant clips from tonights SportsCentre, including Insider Trading, and there was zero mention of this.

If there was something major going on, we'd be hearing about it from everyone on Twitter. Even Rishaug's twitter account has nothing about it, and hes the guy who supposedly said it.

BigPuma

Nov 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
hey first post here just thinking with all the posturing nonis is doing was wondering if it all adds up to an offer sheet? I'm thinking Adam Henriuque at between $3,364,392 to $5,046,585, the compansation being a first and third next year. I mean he's your 23 yr old center with big upside, if we could snag him and Clarkson then maybe someone on D I think were ok. No?

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
hey first post here just thinking with all the posturing nonis is doing was wondering if it all adds up to an offer sheet? I'm thinking Adam Henriuque at between $3,364,392 to $5,046,585, the compansation being a first and third next year.

i doubt nonis offersheets anyone. he hated it when philly offer sheeted kesler when he was the GM of the canucks.

so no to henrique unless its a trade.

BigPuma

Nov 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i doubt nonis offersheets anyone. he hated it when philly offer sheeted kesler when he was the GM of the canucks.

so no to henrique unless its a trade.

All Nonis has been saying is, hey I'm going to do what ever it takes to make this team better, and in my opinion this does. What does everyone else think value wise? And if its a trade would this years first and Colborne get it done ?
I'm guessing not.

Last edited:

jughead42*

You owe me a new laptop dude. Spit out my Tim Hortons when I read this and have a sticky keyboard now. Think before you post something like that and be ready to accept the consequences next time. Great post, although I'm a mark for anything that rips on Tlusty 23 goals be damned. We don't need goals that badly.

I would seriously give my left nut to get Henrique, although I agree a trade is far more likely than an offer sheet. I'd do the rights to Kadri straight up for the rights to Henrique. We have guys like Kadri all over the roster, little inconsistent guys who can skate and are prone to the occasional spat of brilliance. We don't have anybody like Henrique, all he does is all the things you need your center ice men to do and then score in the most important games. He did it with Windsor as a junior and he's done it in the NHL with Jersey during their (almost) cup run. Do it!!!!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
You owe me a new laptop dude. Spit out my Tim Hortons when I read this and have a sticky keyboard now. Think before you post something like that and be ready to accept the consequences next time. Great post, although I'm a mark for anything that rips on Tlusty 23 goals be damned. We don't need goals that badly.

I would seriously give my left nut to get Henrique, although I agree a trade is far more likely than an offer sheet. I'd do the rights to Kadri straight up for the rights to Henrique. We have guys like Kadri all over the roster, little inconsistent guys who can skate and are prone to the occasional spat of brilliance. We don't have anybody like Henrique, all he does is all the things you need your center ice men to do and then score in the most important games. He did it with Windsor as a junior and he's done it in the NHL with Jersey during their (almost) cup run. Do it!!!!

Ok you hate Kadri what else is new?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad