Post-Game Talk: Leafs are a good team. They also are a franchise with skilled players

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, I would go to the Lemeiux Sports complex in South Side and watch the Pens practice. Once they moved to Cranberry, I wouldn’t go as much. Funny enough, I’m a die hard flyers fan, but I love the game, so that type of stuff (rivalry) is just an editorialization to the game for me.

To get on point, Kapanen was an intriguing prospect that I would go watch. Early on, he seemed to have skill, but not nearly the IQ to be serviceable in the NHL. I remember a drill where he skates up the ice with Crosby and Kunitz... Kapanen had to beat Bortuzzo to the Right Side corner and bring the puck back up to the outside of the HDO box. He had soooo much trouble in space. He could beat Bortuzzo with his skating, but that was it. He would constantly lose the puck. He was only effective riding the boards down the ice.

BOY HAS THAT KID CHANGED SINCE I LAST SAW HIM. Somehow his skating got even better. Before, he would never venture to the front of the net. He would sit back behind the A opportunity chances and wait to feed the puck to a low danger area then bail to the boards. It takes serious confidence to do that twirl around shot where he rung it off the post and almost beat Stolarz. Not only that, he’s now engaging in stick battles in open ice. Before he would try to push the perimeter.

He’s finally turning into a weapon. Although the outcome of the game wasn’t favorable for us lol, Kapanen was seriously fun to watch and appreciate. That’s really what hockey is about. Good looks for that kid.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This game honestly could've been 10-0 or more. Stolarz actually made a lot of great saves. Just pure domination by the Leafs

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Of course it's a silly post. So are the silly posts, when we lose with him in the net. They are quick hot takes, not based on a body of work.

But, he's now 4-1 with a 0.924 percentage. Hopefully he keeps this up, and the Henny Penny people, can disappear, and not care about Pickard or McBackup..... I think they've made the right decision, not just for this year, but long-term too.
i laughed when the poster you quoted said this. "Kind of a silly post based on 1 game. I mean look at Sparks in the Chicago game." like whaaaa? he didnt even thrown in an extra sentence before contradicting himself lol.
i was pro mcbackup, but sparks has done a good job, i didnt expect much but hes been fine..he wins and at the end of the day thats all that matters.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
Would anyone else not be surprised if Gardiner's name bar on his sweater read mulefarm next game?

Reactions: crump

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, I would go to the Lemeiux Sports complex in South Side and watch the Pens practice. Once they moved to Cranberry, I wouldn’t go as much. Funny enough, I’m a die hard flyers fan, but I love the game, so that type of stuff (rivalry) is just an editorialization to the game for me.

To get on point, Kapanen was an intriguing prospect that I would go watch. Early on, he seemed to have skill, but not nearly the IQ to be serviceable in the NHL. I remember a drill where he skates up the ice with Crosby and Kunitz... Kapanen had to beat Bortuzzo to the Right Side corner and bring the puck back up to the outside of the HDO box. He had soooo much trouble in space. He could beat Bortuzzo with his skating, but that was it. He would constantly lose the puck. He was only effective riding the boards down the ice.

BOY HAS THAT KID CHANGED SINCE I LAST SAW HIM. Somehow his skating got even better. Before, he would never venture to the front of the net. He would sit back behind the A opportunity chances and wait to feed the puck to a low danger area then bail to the boards. It takes serious confidence to do that twirl around shot where he rung it off the post and almost beat Stolarz. Not only that, he’s now engaging in stick battles in open ice. Before he would try to push the perimeter.

He’s finally turning into a weapon. Although the outcome of the game wasn’t favorable for us lol, Kapanen was seriously fun to watch and appreciate. That’s really what hockey is about. Good looks for that kid.

Outside of the HDO box? Can you explain? Pardon my house league hockey knowledge

Great read on Kap

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What a fine combination of ageism, holier than thou, and false assumptions jam packed into one post.

First bit whatever. Your PM still sits in my in box if you want to talk character.

In terms of the issue... it’s a big one. Big guys, small rink. Big equipment, blocked shots. Gimmick point, play to not lose. Tactics, all the same. Cycle, cycle cycle.

It was great to see 6 goals last night. A function of a bad goaltending night from the land of goaltending failure.

In terms of emotion, meh.

What's happening to this beautiful game? - TheHockeyNews

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
First bit whatever. Your PM still sits in my in box if you want to talk character.

In terms of the issue... it’s a big one. Big guys, small rink. Big equipment, blocked shots. Gimmick point, play to not lose. Tactics, all the same. Cycle, cycle cycle.

It was great to see 6 goals last night. A function of a bad goaltending night from the land of goaltending failure.

Wow, what a boner killer.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Given the headline I'm assuming that''s a Ken Campbell article? Is there anything he likes?

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Dermott leading the team in ice time. With Oz right behind him. Nice to see the young defenders log big minutes, and although the game was won in the first they continued to hold their own.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
depends.

everyone ****s on gardiner. i've always been a huge fan, though I know he's not perfect. but gardiner when he's playing well is as good as any defender in the NHL. but he does have his flaws.

but i think gardiner may stay with the leafs. he might be the guy to take a team discount. i think he could sign a $5.5 x 5 years contract with the leafs after this year. I think he would turn down $7mil x 6 years to take the lesser contact to stay with the leafs.

i picked this avatar cause gardener was my favourite leaf when i joined hf boards. still a huge fan. beat mode gardiner is what we need to win the cup. he really does control the game when he is on his game. he can play 30min a game and dominate. he's the guy i trust to play 40 minute in those double and triple OT games.

I would like to see gardiner play with a guy like Hainsey. He needs a defensively sound partner to allow him take his chances.

Gards has been much better than his overall numbers show as, I have said repeatedly, he missed most of camp with the new baby and took a few games to get up to his regular TOI and QoC.

Its why I've been personally grading him since Oct. 17th as its a true reflection of his play going forward as I dont think the first couple of weeks of him missing passes and skating in quicksand should be used against him.

Since October 17th, his numbers have been amazing:

5v5 adjusted (100 minute min) in the NHL:

TOI/60: 318:00 (12th in the NHL)
QoC TOI: 29.41 (way above average for 2nd pairing.)
Zone Starts: 44.88% OZS%
CF%: 51.05
SCF%: 53.95
HDCF%: 57.61

Gards plays a ton of minutes and is pretty much the opposite of sheltered and yet his numbers are all extremely positive. Insanely underrated around here and I agree that he should play with a defensively sound guy to maximize his chance taking. Oh wait a sec:

Lowest goals against/60 all top 4 NHL Dmen during the same time period:
1st: Zaitsev

;)

edit: Since I havnt figured out how to calculate QoC TOI numbers by date, I just posted his number for the whole year. I do know his numbers up to Oct. 17th were only 29.10 so that means he been facing tougher competition than even I stated.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Given the headline I'm assuming that''s a Ken Campbell article? Is there anything he likes?

Academics have been talking about this for years.

Bibby Finds Major Decline in Teenage Interest in Pro Sports | UNews

Hockey participation rates are also dropping.

Anywhoo... we got 2 points. I found the game boring.

If anyone is personally offended by me flipping the channel to watch NCAA Football and Fail Army... or thinking that Drake is the Justin Beiber of Hip Hop... you need to rethink your life.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
Academics have been talking about this for years.

If anyone is personally offended by me flipping the channel to watch NCAA Football and Fail Army... or thinking that Drake is the Justin Beiber of Hip Hop... you need to rethink your life.

Self centered much? No one cares about your opinions on music or your viewing habits. Get over yourself grandpa.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
This is a really nice night to acknowledge the player development, let ‘em cook approach.
Nice for AJ, nice for Sparks, and slam the losing ‘streak’ door shut.

Reactions: Liminality

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
How can people not enjoy last nights game? Attention spend is very short! The first two periods were great the last period is what happens when you’re up by so much. This isn’t new either, not running up the score has been in hockey for ever. It’s like people watching gladiators fight isn’t enough so they bring in lions lol

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
How can people not enjoy last nights game? Attention spend is very short! The first two periods were great the last period is what happens when you’re up by so much. This isn’t new either, not running up the score has been in hockey for ever. It’s like people watching gladiators fight isn’t enough so they bring in lions lol
You can tell some people enjoy the Leafs more when they lose. Guess that comes after being so used to losing over the years? Almost like it's their comfort zone, I really don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad