Post-Game Talk: Leafs are a good team. They also are a franchise with skilled players

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Tough night for Pickard. He isn't doing much with his shot. A really nice win for the club after dropping two with Freddy in the net. Hopefully the big night gives Johnsson some confidence when playing against better goalies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Tough night for Pickard. He isn't doing much with his shot. A really nice win for the club after dropping two with Freddy in the net. Hopefully the big night gives Johnsson some confidence when playing against better goalies.

Posted a shutout the night before but Cherry was right on Coaches corner that he shouldnt have been played back to back against the Leafs. Bad coaching to throw him in there and the other guy was fresh and played really well.

Reactions: nuck

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Posted a shutout the night before but Cherry was right on Coaches corner that he shouldnt have been played back to back against the Leafs. Bad coaching to throw him in there and the other guy was fresh and played really well.

Yeah I agree (though Cherry should have better explained what he meant).

Babcock gets a lot of crap for not playing his backups enough, and even he refuses to ever play a goalie on back-to-back nights. Doesnt seem to be a good idea in today's NHL

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Academics have been talking about this for years.

Bibby Finds Major Decline in Teenage Interest in Pro Sports | UNews

Hockey participation rates are also dropping.

Anywhoo... we got 2 points. I found the game boring.

If anyone is personally offended by me flipping the channel to watch NCAA Football and Fail Army... or thinking that Drake is the Justin Beiber of Hip Hop... you need to rethink your life.

I’m offended that you watched NCAA football, considering their stance on women’s rights. See Baylor, Ohio State, Alabama and Miss State as recent examples.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I’m offended that you watched NCAA football, considering their stance on women’s rights. See Baylor, Ohio State, Alabama and Miss State as recent examples.

Maybe I was protest watching. I laid down the whole time.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Dermott leading the team in ice time. With Oz right behind him. Nice to see the young defenders log big minutes, and although the game was won in the first they continued to hold their own.

This is Babcock making adjustments, to push his young dmen and help them grow by giving them the opportunity to make mistakes that could be afforded in a 6-0 game with the Flyers pushing to save some face.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That was not a well played game last night. Those turnovers 2 feet from the blue line will go in the net against a good team.

I hope they get a good rest and come out flying tomorrow.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Great couple periods but the 3rd was a snooze fest.
I always stay to the end unless it's a blowout. Last night may have been the earliest I've ever left.

Reactions: Joey Hoser

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Outside of the HDO box? Can you explain? Pardon my house league hockey knowledge

Great read on Kap
B7FFFFCB-BF20-4D5C-B954-273C3A2895B0.jpeg

That black box (Dot to Dot then dots to the red line) is what is known as the High Danger Opportunity Box. Anything inside is what’s considered an A opportunity. There is still debate that this box is too big given quality of goaltenders, but it still is this box. There is another tranche that goes from the edge of the circles to the red line where it’s an A+.

This heat map is the “isolated metric” component of what Kapanen does in the Ozone. Red means high density and blue means low. A take away from this should be that Kapanen is slowly moving to those A chances as you can see his highest density of shot selection is right on that border. Even in the outside, at that location, is still considered to be a good shot location and opportunity.

You can see that he does revert back to his safe play at the boards because he does have most of his shots (density) still outside of the HDO box. He’s not a net front presence which is why infront of the net is close to dark blue. He doesn’t venture there often. That is why I was so surprised with the twirl around shot that almost beat Stolarz.

Another takeaway is that this type of hockey is fun to watch. Maybe not when his shots are from Low Danger (Point shots, or shots along the boards). He’s becoming a player that’s fun to watch. He showed that last night.

I know you guys could probably care less about the flyers, but I want to point out something systematic and extremely alarming:
B753BC5E-F88C-4D2A-BB62-0F26936F7E16.jpeg

This is the entire teams density. Don’t think, WOW, look at that high density in front of the net... they’re getting good opportunities. That’s a red herring. ~70% of their shots in the Ozone originate from the Point. Gudas has led the team in shots, during a game, more than 4 times this season while Ghost has done it approximately 5 times. Almost half of our games have been led by Dmen in shots. That high density in front of the net is only by rebounds, not a player creating an A+ scoring opportunity.

THIS IS NOT FUN HOCKEY.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I have to say that after the little recognition of JVR in the 1st period, I barely noticed him all game. No power plays for Philly so he never got to do what he does best.

Same goes for Claude Giroux. What was going on there? He's usually really noticeable.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I have to say that after the little recognition of JVR in the 1st period, I barely noticed him all game. No power plays for Philly so he never got to do what he does best.

Same goes for Claude Giroux. What was going on there? He's usually really noticeable.

D completely shut them down.

Amazing bounce back performance from Rielly/Hainsey and everyone was pretty good from the forwards back.

Babs was so confident he was just playing the bottom pair much of the third.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
4 goals on 7 shots. I thought he was still playing for the Leafs. Sure did nothing for the Flyers.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

John Boruk, one of Phillys top insiders for the Flyers, Eagles, Sixers, and Phillies was on NBCSP last night for the game.

He said it best (there is no video so I’m quoting him):

“This isn’t hockey. They’re not playing hockey. They’re playing with NO INTEREST or HEART. You can tell they don’t want to play for their team. Something will happen in Philly”

I’m not trying to degrade or diminish the pounding TOR gave PHI. Pickard averages 4+ GAA and just about .800 SV%. Philly is averaging 3 goals against for every 20 shots. The players aren’t playing hockey. They don’t want to play for their system so they’re an easy team to beat because they’re not playing. Please refer back to my heat map (at the bottom I show the flyers).

Dave Hakstol loves safe hockey. Point shots are very safe because, generally speaking, the lanes are much wider. He loves his wiley vets in Amac, Lehtera, Weise (promotes to to 6), Hagg (not a vet, but promoted to play most TOI over past 3 games with the worst shot suppression metrics in the entire league), and doesn’t know how to run a lineup. It also doesn’t help that 3 of our 6 NHL goaltender are injured, but this falls on Hextall and Hakstol. It’s just kind of sad that this is flyers hockey.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
John Boruk, one of Phillys top insiders for the Flyers, Eagles, Sixers, and Phillies was on NBCSP last night for the game.

“This isn’t hockey. They’re not playing hockey. They’re playing with NO INTEREST or HEART. You can tell they don’t want to play for their team. Something will happen in Philly”

I’m not trying to degrade or diminish the pounding TOR gave PHI. Pickard averages 4+ GAA and just about .800 SV%. Philly is averaging 3 goals against for every 20 shots. The players aren’t playing hockey. They don’t want to play for their system so they’re an easy team to beat because they’re not playing. Please refer back to my heat map (at the bottom I show the flyers).

Dave Hakstol loves safe hockey. Point shots are very safe because, generally speaking, the lanes are much wider. He loves his wiley vets in Amac, Lehtera, Weise (promotes to to 6), Hagg (not a vet, but promoted to play most TOI over past 3 games with the worst shot suppression metrics in the entire league), and doesn’t know how to run a lineup. It also doesn’t help that 3 of our 6 NHL goaltender are injured, but this falls on Hextall and Hakstol. It’s just kind of sad that this is flyers hockey.

They dominated the Rangers the night before and not just on the scoreboard.

What was the difference?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Flyers might not have a perfect team, but it's pretty easy to see that they are dragged down by coaching. they don't have structure or motivation to compete, and that's on the coaching staff. I couldn't believe he started Pickard, since even I know that a rested goalie is a smarter option in a back to back situation. That probably cost the Flyers the game right there, as he let the Leafs put the game out of reach right away. Hakstol will probably get fired soon

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I like this team, I wish we had just one guy that is a little bit mean and can stand up to simmonds for running dermott. Kadri has heart but he knew he wasnt able to stick up for dermott. Another tough but effective guy like Brian Boyle would be so sweet on the 4th line instead of Gauthier.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm kinda surpised Hakstol wasn't fired this morning.

I wouldn't be shocked if Philly is one of the teams reaching out to Q and McLellan via a third party as Headlines suggested last night.

I thought Hakstol would find success. He was a quality hire out of the NCAA, but it seems NCAA coaches aren't able to adapt to an NHL style.

When was the last quality NHL coach to come from the NCAA?

(Turns out, there was only one coach prior to Hakstol's hiring to get hired out of the NCAA, Bob Johnson, who coached the Pens to a Cup in the 90's. There was another coach, but he lasted only 38 games.)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
They dominated the Rangers the night before and not just on the scoreboard.

What was the difference?
Isn’t that weird. I don’t have an answer for that. The rangers didn’t show up besides King Henrik. 2 out of the 4 goals were fluky so the domaintion word may be overzealous.

I see that the bear writers use that word, but I just don’t agree. They were able to walk in those HDOs, but converted on so little... again 2 goals weren’t fluky.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anybody think that on the Tavares goal, Marner put himself in a very vulnerable position to be crushed by Gudas. It looked like Gudas did the right thing and let up a bit or he could have sent him into orbit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Anybody think that on the Tavares goal, Marner put himself in a very vulnerable position to be crushed by Gudas. It looked like Gudas did the right thing and let up a bit or he could have sent him into orbit.
I've watched it a few times (because I have the same thought as you) and it almost seems like Marner is aware of Gudas.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Great couple periods but the 3rd was a snooze fest.
I always stay to the end unless it's a blowout. Last night may have been the earliest I've ever left.

I managed to ride out the whole game, largely because I wanted to see if Sparks could shut it down.

But yeah, soon as Johnsson finished his hat trick I was ready to do something else with my evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->