Post-Game Talk: Leafs are a good team. They also are a franchise with skilled players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Anybody think that on the Tavares goal, Marner put himself in a very vulnerable position to be crushed by Gudas. It looked like Gudas did the right thing and let up a bit or he could have sent him into orbit.

Gudas didnt let up, he just wasnt able to do it as he wasnt lined up that well for a big hit. Got a good piece of him though.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Flyers might not have a perfect team, but it's pretty easy to see that they are dragged down by coaching. they don't have structure or motivation to compete, and that's on the coaching staff. I couldn't believe he started Pickard, since even I know that a rested goalie is a smarter option in a back to back situation. That probably cost the Flyers the game right there, as he let the Leafs put the game out of reach right away. Hakstol will probably get fired soon

It is coaching. Hakstol is on his last straw. I dream that he gets fired. I don’t think he does until Dec. 15. I think games like the rangers keep his job safe. It isnt 100% the coach, it’s also the players, and mostly Hextall, but the mantra of 2 years from 2 years doesn’t seem to change.

I'm kinda surpised Hakstol wasn't fired this morning.

I wouldn't be shocked if Philly is one of the teams reaching out to Q and McLellan via a third party as Headlines suggested last night.

I thought Hakstol would find success. He was a quality hire out of the NCAA, but it seems NCAA coaches aren't able to adapt to an NHL style.

When was the last quality NHL coach to come from the NCAA?

(Turns out, there was only one coach prior to Hakstol's hiring to get hired out of the NCAA, Bob Johnson, who coached the Pens to a Cup in the 90's. There was another coach, but he lasted only 38 games.)

Pretty sure Q said he will wait until the offseason so he can spend time with his family.

I would look at Scott Gordon (AHL). He’s done well with development and we have some AHL players already knocking on the flyers door (NAK, Rubtsov, Twarynski, Myers, Hart, Friedman, Vorobyev) along with coaching Laughton, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim, Ghost, Lyon, and Stolarz. He knows them well. I would keep Hakstol and a developmental coach. Look at the players he developed at North Dakota during his tenure (Toews, Zajac, Oshie, and a lot more). I would fire Lappy because the best PK hasn’t been top 20 in the league during his tenure either. Haks system is a college system- it just doesn’t work at the NHL. The players aren’t buying into it either.

I would also fire Hextall too. Love him as a draft guy (Sanheim, Hart, Frost, Vorobyev, Sandstrom, Myers, Ratcliffe, Allison, Lindblom (I think), Rubtsov, Provorov, Konecny, Patrick, Farabee, O’Brien)- that’s amazing to me. It takes like 5 years for mgmt to trust rookies. Hakstol runs 11 forwards unless the 4th line is Laughton - Lehtera - Weise. It’s just insane to me.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Man, it’s crazy to think about but jt is actually exceeding expectations. Just goes to show, pay for the elite players, dont overpay for good ones.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Man, it’s crazy to think about but jt is actually exceeding expectations. Just goes to show, pay for the elite players, dont overpay for good ones.

And due to Marner's breakout, Nylander's situation and Matthews injury, no one is talking about Tavares dominating in his first season as a Leaf.

You just know if he had just 10 points, there would be 5 different threads on the main boards about him though.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
And due to Marner's breakout, Nylander's situation and Matthews injury, no one is talking about Tavares dominating in his first season as a Leaf.

You just know if he had just 10 points, there would be 5 different threads on the main boards about him though.

Hes literally playing like a 10 - 12 M player, cant think of many other ufa signings in the past few years that played worth their contracts.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't want to take away the importance of last night's win, but let's keep a cool head here .

People keep making "How are we going to pay ___________ (insert whoever got a point last night)?"threads.

That was a pitiful goaltending performance by whoever they played in net last night.

A nice win but not a reflection of the skill we have.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't want to take away the importance of last night's win, but let's keep a cool head here .

People keep making "How are we going to pay ___________ (insert whoever got a point last night)?"threads.

That was a pitiful goaltending performance by whoever they played in net last night.

A nice win but not a reflection of the skill we have.

Strange that you forgot Calvin Pickard’s name given how vocal you were about what a mistake it was to let him go.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Gudas didnt let up, he just wasnt able to do it as he wasnt lined up that well for a big hit. Got a good piece of him though.
True, if Gudas was able to destroy Marner he would, especially as he was toe-dragging... Just didnt have enough positioning

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Anybody think that on the Tavares goal, Marner put himself in a very vulnerable position to be crushed by Gudas. It looked like Gudas did the right thing and let up a bit or he could have sent him into orbit.

Yes, I thought the same thing for sure.

The fact that Gudas let up and barely got a piece of Marner instead of destroying him is (while good for Marner) probably part of the reason why the Flyers suck, --players just don't care.

You're getting blown out 0-5, Marner makes your team look absolutely silly, and the so-called physical guy on the team has a chance to destroy Marner and instead totally lets up and lets him off the hook. It was pretty pathetic from a compete standpoint.

But if that situation happens again and it's against a team/player that actually has some pride, I have a feeling Marner may find himself unconscious next time.

Last edited:

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Ok so if Nylander signs, what would the lines be?

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman tavares Marner
Johnsson kadri kapanen
Leivo/Ennis Lindholm Brown.

Thats's what I bet Babcock will do..

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Yes, I thought the same thing for sure.

The fact that Gudas let up
and barely got a piece of Marner instead of destroying him is (while good for Marner) probably part of the reason why the Flyers suck, --players just don't care.

You're getting blown out 0-5, Marner makes your team look absolutely silly, and the so-called physical guy on the team has a chance to destroy Marner and instead totally lets up and lets him off the hook. It was pretty pathetic from a compete standpoint.

But if that situation happens again and it's against a team/player that actually has some pride, I have a feeling Marner may find himself unconscious next time.
huh?

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
True, if Gudas was able to destroy Marner he would, especially as he was toe-dragging... Just didnt have enough positioning

I disagree. He had a straight line at Marner as Mitch was skating backwards into him and Gudas angled off to the side instead of going straight through Marner -- which if he would have (and it would have been clean since Marner was skating backwards into Gudas) it would have surely resulted in a significant head/neck injury as Marner would have been violently propelled the other way and face first into the ice.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I disagree. He had a straight line at Marner as Mitch was skating backwards into him and Gudas angled off to the side instead of going straight through Marner -- which if he would have (and it would have been clean since Marner was skating backwards into Gudas) it would have surely resulted in a significant head/neck injury as Marner would have been violently propelled the other way and face first into the ice.

He took Marner off his feet, and many players wouldve probably fell to the ice after that - Marner is just extra nimble and small.
See how he absorbs his hit usually.

Gudas is like what 6'4, 6'5 230lbs? Marner is barely 6 feet tall and weighs like 160lbs.

Try hitting someone smaller and faster than you. Its very hard, hence the crouch down from the angle - taking out the legs.

Unless youre on the boards, you can save yourself if you miss, or just clip enough of the guy regardless.

Gudas steam rolling Marner like you suggested wouldve 1. Yes, planted Marner on his belly

2. Marners small body stopping none of the force so Gudas flies into goalie Stolarz, or
3. the Flyer player beside marner.

Wouldve been a bad play to be outta position and taking your teammate out with Tavares behind you. 9/10 that puck doesnt land on elite garbageman Tavares stick to shelf it.

Wouldve been a good play by Gudas

Another example is Trouba hitting matthews dead on. Matthews is big 6'4 and 230 lbs.
Even collide at full strength but both standing by the net. If that was Marner trouba wouldve either missed him and flew into net or boards, while making Marner airborne.

Lil guys are dumped, rarely creamed straight on.

The only sure way to know is to ask Gudas, hey did you wanna take out marner, or just bump him.

Beautiful Play!!

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Gudas did not have the right angle to deliver a Phanuef type of hit, agree.

Marner cut suddenly into the slot. Even though Gudas was coming back, their paths not really colliding there head on with that play.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Strange that you forgot Calvin Pickard’s name given how vocal you were about what a mistake it was to let him go.

Oh was i crying because they let Pickard go? Are you sure it wasn't McElhinney and Pickard?!

This is so funny. You'll be no where on this board when Sparks falls, but you're all over me because I wanted to keep our goaltending depth. Yes that includes Pickard.

Edit - if people associate me with this whole McGoalie/Pickard vs Sparks thing then you're way off. If I am hard on Sparks it's because I want him to play better for the leafs. That goes for anyone I criticize in a blue and white sweater (Johnnson, Hainsey, Nylander, Kadri, etc.). If they can serve this team better then great. I don't have any hate towards anyone. I could care less.

Last edited:

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Gudas did not have the right angle to deliver a Phanuef type of hit, agree.

Marner cut suddenly into the slot. Even though Gudas was coming back, their paths not really colliding there head on with that play.

I totally disagree. You can watch it on NHL.com for this game and the Tavares goal.

Pause at the tail end of 3 seconds. Gudas could have absolutely skated towards Marner and ran over him. Instead he just glided forward and ended up only getting a piece of Marner.

And it wouldn't have been a 'Phanuef' type hit because it would have been hitting Marner in the back and wouldn't have needed to make head contact, although it would have had the same result because of the whiplash affect and the forced of sending a smaller player in the opposite direction with considerable force.

Wouldve been a bad play to be outta position and taking your teammate out with Tavares behind you. 9/10 that puck doesnt land on elite garbageman Tavares stick to shelf it.

It's not a bad play to destroy an opposing player who just made 2 of your teammates look ridiculous. If he had finished the play, Marner would have been in a world of hurt (and probably unconscious) instead he barely clipped him and Tavares scored anyway.

Like I said, it's great for Marner and the Leafs that Gudas doesn't play full out and doesn't have that extra edge (especially when being embarrassed 0-5 -- soon to be 0-6) but you can't count on continuing to be that fortunate.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Oh was i crying because they let Pickard go? Are you sure it wasn't McElhinney and Pickard?!

This is so funny. You'll be no where on this board when Sparks falls, but you're all over me because I wanted to keep our goaltending depth. Yes that includes Pickard.

Edit - if people associate me with this whole McGoalie/Pickard vs Sparks thing then you're way off. If I am hard on Sparks it's because I want him to play better for the leafs. That goes for anyone I criticize in a blue and white sweater (Johnnson, Hainsey, Nylander, Kadri, etc.). If they can serve this team better then great. I don't have any hate towards anyone. I could care less.

First, it's "couldn't care less."

Second, it's hard to blame Dubas for losing our goalie depth when every goalie had to go through waivers. The team isn't going to carry three goalies, it was likely we'd lose one or two out of three backups.

Third, I never said you hated Sparks. I was just pointing out that I think someone who went on and on about Pickard and McElhinney being claimed would remember their names when we play them. It also comes off as really petty since you dismissed Sparks' performance while simultaneously blowing past the fact that Pickard let in four goals on six shots.

Reactions: Lauro

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
They should fire Hakstol if only because it sounds too much like "Hextall" and it's confusing.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
First, it's "couldn't care less."

Second, it's hard to blame Dubas for losing our goalie depth when every goalie had to go through waivers. The team isn't going to carry three goalies, it was likely we'd lose one or two out of three backups.

Third, I never said you hated Sparks. I was just pointing out that I think someone who went on and on about Pickard and McElhinney being claimed would remember their names when we play them. It also comes off as really petty since you dismissed Sparks' performance while simultaneously blowing past the fact that Pickard let in four goals on six shots.

Yeah. Who cares?! I already said that Pickard played badly.

Who cares if I come off petty or not? What am I? Your role model?

I am still not happy about losing Pickard and McEhinney.

I am also not going to carve a statue of Johnsson for legends' row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->