Post-Game Talk: Leafs are a good team. They also are a franchise with skilled players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Don't get too hyped up, Sparks has had very little under pressure minutes in tonight and the Ducks game and he still looked very shaky in net
Got to admit that after watching a few games, not that impressed by Sparks.

Still sticking to the same old story, they should have kept McElhinney and it was real dumb to get rid of him.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Can't afford him.
depends.

everyone shits on gardiner. i've always been a huge fan, though I know he's not perfect. but gardiner when he's playing well is as good as any defender in the NHL. but he does have his flaws.

but i think gardiner may stay with the leafs. he might be the guy to take a team discount. i think he could sign a $5.5 x 5 years contract with the leafs after this year. I think he would turn down $7mil x 6 years to take the lesser contact to stay with the leafs.

i picked this avatar cause gardener was my favourite leaf when i joined hf boards. still a huge fan. beat mode gardiner is what we need to win the cup. he really does control the game when he is on his game. he can play 30min a game and dominate. he's the guy i trust to play 40 minute in those double and triple OT games.

I would like to see gardiner play with a guy like Hainsey. He needs a defensively sound partner to allow him take his chances.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Surprise, surprise, our AHL goalie got another shutout.

I just thought there was no way that JvR doesn't pot one.

Oh well, had the score right in the prediction thread if I take JvR's goal away and give it to our Leafs. I was right with guessing that Johnsson would score our 1st goal. Had no clue he'd get a hat trick. Missed a grand salami by 1 misplaced goal.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Good effort all round. Bottom 6 were GOAT. But speaking of him...sadly when AM returns he's destined for the PB, Marlies or...and I hate to say it cause I like Freddie...release. I think he's used up his 9 lives. Do goats have 9 lives?

I think he'll go to the pressbox. It probably comes down to him or Holl for the Marlies, but I think Holl is a safer waiver risk. There's no way they release him though. Even if they didn't think he was an NHLer, he would still be retained and re-signed to play with the Marlies, and it's not like they're taking him out of the lineup for bad play - GOAT has been doing a decent job and is part of an effective line.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure they don't have to make any roster decisions until (if/when) Nylander signs. When Matthews returns, they'll just send back down Moore, who took his injury spot if I'm not mistaken.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kind of a silly post based on 1 game. I mean look at Sparks in the Chicago game. Sparks had a nice game tonight, and the same could be said for Pickard (tonight on the 2nd game of a b2b) last night who had a 4-0 shutout.

Of course it's a silly post. So are the silly posts, when we lose with him in the net. They are quick hot takes, not based on a body of work.

But, he's now 4-1 with a 0.924 percentage. Hopefully he keeps this up, and the Henny Penny people, can disappear, and not care about Pickard or McBackup..... I think they've made the right decision, not just for this year, but long-term too.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Really enjoyed the game tonight.

Was it just me or was Sparks rebound control better tonight?

I thought overall Sparks had much better poise and played a quieter game, although the Leafs didn't give up a lot of good scoring chances.

Of course anything would look like poise after Pickard on the Marleau goal. If he were any further out of the crease he might have got a penalty for being in the no-play zone.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Did the puck hit him? Did he give a struggling team a chance to win?

If he's doing that I'm more than happy with the guy
I need a backup goalie capable of possibly beating an elite team. I don't have that confidence in Sparks yet, hopefully, his losing stick, and shaky play is just nerves and he chills out later on

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What exactly are you doing here then?

You watch this crap from start to finish and think it’s exciting?

Actually, you know what? I’m sorry.

This is a generation that thinks what Drake does is music.

You have no frame of reference. Not your fault.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He was very calm tonight, he wasn't the skiddish scared cat that normally bothers me about his game. Gj, Sparks!
A very noticeable difference... Of course a 4 goal lead should help a goalie settle in. Also,I noticed the team collapsed around him more often.
Still,a positive vibe for Sparks to build on. Confidence is tricky to get back once its gone.Hopefully ,he continues to improve.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I need a backup goalie capable of possibly beating an elite team. I don't have that confidence in Sparks yet, hopefully, his losing stick, and shaky play is just nerves and he chills out later on
Nope, he’s a reactionary goalie.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's a backup, as long as he gives you a chance to win he's doing his job

Normal backups aren't capable of winning against elite competition consistently, that's just unrealistic

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Got to admit that after watching a few games, not that impressed by Sparks.

Still sticking to the same old story, they should have kept McElhinney and it was real dumb to get rid of him.

He's a backup who has played 5 games so far and won 4. He looked very confident and tall in the crease tonight. That will only improve the more he plays.

I guess if you bang you head against a tree long enough it won't hurt right? Keep on trying...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Man, Johnsson had the book on Pickard. Made him look silly. Hopefully this can break him out to start finishing on his chances. I still would not be surprised by a 20-20 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad