Post-Game Talk: Leafs are a good team. They also are a franchise with skilled players

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Fourth in entire league yet 3rd in our division, with Boston right behind. Best division in hockey by a mile at the moment.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Oh was i crying because they let Pickard go? Are you sure it wasn't McElhinney and Pickard?!

This is so funny. You'll be no where on this board when Sparks falls, but you're all over me because I wanted to keep our goaltending depth. Yes that includes Pickard.

Edit - if people associate me with this whole McGoalie/Pickard vs Sparks thing then you're way off. If I am hard on Sparks it's because I want him to play better for the leafs. That goes for anyone I criticize in a blue and white sweater (Johnnson, Hainsey, Nylander, Kadri, etc.). If they can serve this team better then great. I don't have any hate towards anyone. I could care less.

You wanted us to keep four goalies on our big league roster? Because that’s literally the only way that was happening

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Fourth in entire league yet 3rd in our division, with Boston right behind. Best division in hockey by a mile at the moment.
Yep. Really think the League should award 3 pts for regulation win, 2pts for OT win, and 1pt for OT loss. While SHoot out win is for tie breaker at the end of the season, like if two teams are tie at point and regulation and OT wins, the team with more SO wins will have a higher standing.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Ok so if Nylander signs, what would the lines be?

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman tavares Marner
Johnsson kadri kapanen
Leivo/Ennis Lindholm Brown.

Thats's what I bet Babcock will do..

Yeah I’m guessing this as well. I think that third line will be fire. Let’s see what happens. Though it’s highly unlikely, if Babs feels the lines as currently constructed have great chemistry, he might try to disrupt that minimally. So we could see Leivo with Matty and Willy (I know very unlikely) or leave Johnsson where he is but put Leivo with Naz and Kappy moving up Marleau.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You wanted us to keep four goalies on our big league roster? Because that’s literally the only way that was happening

So did we have to move McElhinney and Pickard?

The argument is still a subjective or perhaps one that involves cheerleaders. I don't have to like the decision to move both goalies. Even if Sparks plays awesome I still don't have to like it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So did we have to move McElhinney and Pickard?

The argument is still a subjective or perhaps one that involves cheerleaders. I don't have to like the decision to move both goalies. Even if Sparks plays awesome I still don't have to like it.

So you would have gone into the season with three goalies on the roster?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Do you really care about my answer? It sounds like you are trying to make me understand the logic.

Let's just say that you and I don't agree and leave it at that.

I have no idea whether or not we agree because I've literally never discussed this with you. I'm genuinely curious. I don't think going with three goalies would have been completely unreasonable, but I'm curious to know if they had other options I'm unaware of.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It was exciting watching Johnsson get his hatrick. But the game was over before the end of the 1st period. And then it seemed like it was the slowest game of the year.

Look at me complaining about blowing another team out. How times have changed.

member 157595

YOU KILLED THE WRONG GUY

WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME

GO HABS GO

Any new GM is going to want to bring in his own coach, especially when the Flyers' current coach has the intelligence of the chicken wings I am currently getting all over this keyboard.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Any new GM is going to want to bring in his own coach, especially when the Flyers' current coach has the intelligence of the chicken wings I am currently getting all over this keyboard.
Problem is our president is braindead and I'm assuming his GM hire won't exactly be a genius either, which would mean his coaching hire will probably suck.

The rumor from Bobby Mac is that this wasn't about Hakstol and was more impatience with the lack of panic moves out of Hextall. If true, we're f***ed because Holmgren has no clue how to build a team. That's why it took so long for Hextall to clean up his mess and get us back on track again. Keep in mind, we had one of the worst prospect pools in the league until Hextall became GM because Holmgren just traded away picks for bad players like they were worthless. Everything we have going for us now was due to the change from Holmgrens style to Hextalls. Now it looks like we're about to get dragged backwards.

member 157595

Problem is our president is braindead and I'm assuming his GM hire won't exactly be a genius either, which would mean his coaching hire will probably suck.

The rumor from Bobby Mac is that this wasn't about Hakstol and was more impatience with the lack of panic moves out of Hextall. If true, we're ****ed because Holmgren has no clue how to build a team. That's why it took so long for Hextall to clean up his mess and get us back on track again. Keep in mind, we had one of the worst prospect pools in the league until Hextall became GM because Holmgren just traded away picks for bad players like they were worthless. Everything we have going for us now was due to the change from Holmgrens style to Hextalls. Now it looks like we're about to get dragged backwards.

I thought Hextall was rebuilding the Flyers the right way. Hakstol is an absolutely awful coach and the team is still young, that shouldn't be a reason for Holmgren to throw that entire plan away overnight.

Do you think the post-Snider ownership has a different outlook on team building than Snider himself did?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I thought Hextall was rebuilding the Flyers the right way. Hakstol is an absolutely awful coach and the team is still young, that shouldn't be a reason for Holmgren to throw that entire plan away overnight.

Do you think the post-Snider ownership has a different outlook on team building than Snider himself did?
Yeah, me too. I was happy with nearly everything Hextall did EXCEPT the coach, so the possibility that Hextall is leaving and Hakstol is staying is the worst case scenario. For perspective, the guy who traded for and signed MacDonald is now in charge of everything. He's finding the new GM and that GM will decide our coaching future. It's not looking good.

And I don't think the ownership cares about anything so long as attendance doesn't suffer. I think this move only happened because the fanbase is pretty furious with the current state of the team. Snider cared about winning more than anything and was much more involved.

Reactions: OmniCube

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
It was exciting watching Johnsson get his hatrick. But the game was over before the end of the 1st period. And then it seemed like it was the slowest game of the year.

Look at me complaining about blowing another team out. How times have changed.
I was expecting a push back, a fight, anything from the Flyers. I was counting down the minutes instead. Would Hextall still have a job if they were anything like the old Flyers in a blowout situation?

Reactions: Ratboy

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yep. Really think the League should award 3 pts for regulation win, 2pts for OT win, and 1pt for OT loss. While SHoot out win is for tie breaker at the end of the season, like if two teams are tie at point and regulation and OT wins, the team with more SO wins will have a higher standing.
I like it, but it would wreck Bettman's fake "parity". The haves would be separated from the have nots much earlier in the season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I like it, but it would wreck Bettman's fake "parity". The haves would be separated from the have nots much earlier in the season.
Not really though, good teams will be further ahead while most teams will still be fighting for points and spots. The downside of that is Teams might start to rest players like the NBA if they have a comfortable lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad