Speculation: Leafs and Habs interested in Josh Anderson (CBJ).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I would do it even if I really like Lehkonen, we have alote of player in the style of Lehkonen on the roaster and in the propsect pool but we have no profil like Josh Anderson ! It would be tough but I would do it

Montreal really doesn't have many players in the style of Lehkonen either. And Lehkonen suits the way Montreal plays better than Anderson.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think this is the key. Two years ago I would have said Anderson can take care of himself and others if needed. Last year Anderson turned his game into a finesse one who didn't do squat to stop the Capitals from physically hammering the Jackets in the playoffs.
That wasn't really my point.

Anderson could be a physical force and still cheap players will make cheap plays. They aren't afraid of being punched. And no, doing away with the instigator wouldn't solve it either.

Boston had Chara, Lucic (who was on the ice) Shawn Thornton, Adam McQuaid, Mark Stuart, Johnny Boychuk, and Byron Bitz on the team and still Matt Cooke cheap shotted Savard. It's a myth that having an enforcer (nevermind a middleweight) will stop someone from doing something.

Dexter20

Dec 18, 2013

Anderson could be a physical force and still cheap players will make cheap plays. They aren't afraid of being punched. And no, doing away with the instigator wouldn't solve it either.

Boston had Chara, Lucic (who was on the ice) Shawn Thornton, Adam McQuaid, Mark Stuart, Johnny Boychuk, and Byron Bitz on the team and still Matt Cooke cheap shotted Savard. It's a myth that having an enforcer (nevermind a middleweight) will stop someone from doing something.
Anderson is not a middle weight- he fought Chara and Wilson last year. He didn't win either but buckled Chara pretty good - and you might want to google his fight with Stewart from Minnesota- sorry but that is a heavyweight bout. Not arguing with the meat of your post, just keeping you honest as far as your "middleweight" comment

Reactions: Groo

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
This 4th liner that everyone is saying sucks and isnt worth much is leading the cbj in goals. Some of you probably now think his value is lower.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not saying I'd do it but wonder if Toronto is thinking Nylander for Anderson ++ or something. Otherwise I'm not sure what else Columbus would want per se.

Reactions: mikeyp24
Feb 24, 2017

That is partly true. The other half of the truth is if the offending team and other teams see that someone was beaten half to death because of the transgression...yeah, that matters.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Not saying I'd do it but wonder if Toronto is thinking Nylander for Anderson ++ or something. Otherwise I'm not sure what else Columbus would want per se.
Be careful saying that I did and apparently thats as bad as saying matt martin for austin mathews.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well straight up its pretty lopsided, it depends what the ++ is.
Agreed... I added a first and said another top end prospect not named Foudy. Id even do Wennberg but they dont need centers. Milano or Bjorkstand. D we are injured often so dont have much there to offer.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Agreed... I added a first and said another top end prospect not named Foudy. Id even do Wennberg but they dont need centers. Milano or Bjorkstand. D we are injured often so dont have much there to offer.

In all honesty I'm not the best at valuation. I tend to overrate other teams assets in an attempt to be fair, which leaves some homerish Leafs fans agog. I have some players in mind but I find its much safer to hedge with a ++ to avoid the inevitable freak out. lol

Reactions: mikeyp24

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That is partly true. The other half of the truth is if the offending team and other teams see that someone was beaten half to death because of the transgression...yeah, that matters.
1) No, players aren't beaten half to death.... which is a good thing.
2) No, it doesn't matter.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Also just to point out the 3rd liner that isnt worth Nylander even with 9 +'s according to this thread is only behind Mathews and JT on the leafs in goals with 2 less games played. Which for the 2nd year in a row he is atop the cbj goal scoring list. Last year he was only passed by Atkinson and Bread after he was hurt and came back being forced to play 2nd line because Atkinson/Panarin have Kane/Panarin chemistry. The guy is a pure goal scorer. He isnt going to get 25 secondary assists and pad his stats with numbers that dont effect the game but he will directly impact the game by putting the puck in the net.

The kid is physical, has crazy speed, and can finish with the best. The fact that people think he is a 3rd line talent yet somehow are the same people that say Kadri isnt a 3rd line player amazes me. (Meaning Kadri plays the third line because depth/line chemistry not because 3rd line talent just like Anderson who only plays 3rd line because Cam is top line and Torts splits up goal scorers to roll 4 lines)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Nikita Scherbak + Charles Hudon for Josh Anderson
Mtl doesnt have the guy for Anderson. We need to upgrade playmaking Anderson will score minimum 20 a year closer to 30 if he gets 1st line minutes. The only guy on the Habs I could see us wanting 100% isn't being traded for anderson so no reason for me to even mention it. Not a good fit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nikita Scherbak + Charles Hudon for Josh Anderson
Step back for a moment and think. What could possibly compel the Blue Jackets - a team already overloaded to the breaking point with Young Up And Coming Depth Wingers in general and RWs in particular - to want to make a trade like that?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
No. Only way we trade Anderson is in a package for Nylander. Rather keep him.
Sure, if that package includes a guy like Werenski. Anderson is just no where near in terms of value to Nylander, so he is unlikely to be anything more than a supplementary piece in a multi-player deal. If you want Nylander and don't want to send back a player of similar value go ahead and offer-sheet him the $8million per season he reportedly is seeking from the Leafs. Toronto will happily accept your 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as compensation :)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Sure, if that package includes a guy like Werenski. Anderson is just no where near in terms of value to Nylander, so he is unlikely to be anything more than a supplementary piece in a multi-player deal. If you want Nylander and don't want to send back a player of similar value go ahead and offer-sheet him the $8million per season he reportedly is seeking from the Leafs. Toronto will happily accept your 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks as compensation :)
Sure Werenski could be in a package to get us JT Mathews Marner and change Nylander out for your next 3 firsts. See I can make nonsensical requests as well. Anderson is much closer to Nylander then Nylander to Z.

I honestly dont know what stat would be the best to compare what im looking for so I might need to outsource this. I want to know which player has the better goals per minute played stat. Because Anderson put up 18 I thinknot was as a rookie with 0pp minutes and never played higher then 3rd line. 2nd year missed about 20 games and still had 19 goals I think it was while onlu playing top 6 minutes maybe 30 of those games. So while the kid gets very little offensive opportunity because linemates and toi with 0pp he still nets 20 and he is already at 4 in 6 games right now.

Nylander might have more career assists (seeing as he is a C converted to wing so he is more of a pass first guy and he played with offensive juggernaut Mathews) Anderson is by far the more lethal goal scorer. I just need someone with 2 seconds to get those stats.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Sure Werenski could be in a package to get us JT Mathews Marner and change Nylander out for your next 3 firsts. See I can make nonsensical requests as well. Anderson is much closer to Nylander then Nylander to Z.

I honestly dont know what stat would be the best to compare what im looking for so I might need to outsource this. I want to know which player has the better goals per minute played stat. Because Anderson put up 18 I thinknot was as a rookie with 0pp minutes and never played higher then 3rd line. 2nd year missed about 20 games and still had 19 goals I think it was while onlu playing top 6 minutes maybe 30 of those games. So while the kid gets very little offensive opportunity because linemates and toi with 0pp he still nets 20 and he is already at 4 in 6 games right now.

Nylander might have more career assists (seeing as he is a C converted to wing so he is more of a pass first guy and he played with offensive juggernaut Mathews) Anderson is by far the more lethal goal scorer. I just need someone with 2 seconds to get those stats.
Am I reading this right? You're saying Josh Anderson is a better goal scorer (by far) than Nylander?

Anderson has never hit 20 goals; Nylander has 20+ in every season he's played. The only better shooter on the Leafs is Matthews.

Reactions: NoName and Tmart335

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Am I reading this right? You're saying Josh Anderson is a better goal scorer (by far) than Nylander?

Anderson has never hit 20 goals; Nylander has 20+ in every season he's played. The only better shooter on the Leafs is Matthews.
No Im saying I want to know stats wise who scores more per toi. I post strictly from my phine so its hard for me to do stats comparisons. And Anderson hasnt hit 20 on a technicality if he played a full season last year hits it. Its only his 3rd season. Season 1 with 0pp time and never playing higher then 3rd line he hit 18. Last year he was leading the team most of the year then got his legs taken out from under him and landed on his hip/back weird and missed 20 games but finished 19g i think so saying he hasnt hit 20 just add context and yeah.

So agian my question is who scores the most goals when compared to TOI. I give Nylander the playmaking hands down and the better passer but when you compare TOI Nylander gets more obviously but when it comes to scoring goals Anderson nets a similar amount with im assuming significantly less time.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

It was entertaining to read the convoluted way you cherry pick specific stats to attempt to justify claiming two players with vastly different production numbers are near equal in value. Irregardless of your slanted evaluation of your 68 point in 165 game, third-line winger, he just isn't going to net a top-6 winger with centre experience like Nylander (who is two years younger to boot). If you don't want to trade a top-4 caliber defenceman you are not getting Nylander without offersheeting him a contract he will accept and the Leafs won't match... in which case go ahead, the Leafs can make good use of all your compensatory picks to get that top-4 dman anyway, and if Anderson is so good, despite his unimpressive numbers, maybe he can switch wings for you next season and fill your Panarin sized hole.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I have to say, fans from other teams need to "put up or shut up" when it comes to acquiring Nylander. If a GM wants him they either have to trade the Leafs a roster part that addresses their needs of similar value, or they need to go ahead and offer-sheet him a contract that both he will sign and the Leafs won't match and be willing to part with a bundle of draft picks (pretty much assuredly a 1st, 2nd and 3rd). Otherwise there really is nothing to talk about here, Dubas won't just trade him for another team's scraps, because he has no reason to do so; you don't just give away assets you control when you are not forced to do so.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It was entertaining to read the convoluted way you cherry pick specific stats to attempt to justify claiming two players with vastly different production numbers are near equal in value. Irregardless of your slanted evaluation of your 68 point in 165 game, third-line winger, he just isn't going to net a top-6 winger with centre experience like Nylander (who is two years younger to boot). If you don't want to trade a top-4 caliber defenceman you are not getting Nylander without offersheeting him a contract he will accept and the Leafs won't match... in which case go ahead, the Leafs can make good use of all your compensatory picks to get that top-4 dman anyway, and if Anderson is so good, despite his unimpressive numbers, maybe he can switch wings for you next season and fill your Panarin sized hole.
I agree they have 2 vastly different skill sets. We have more Andersons then Nylander though where as Toronto has more Nylanders and Mathews is really the only Anderson type you have. I wish instead of wasting time with getting point totals for a player who is a goal scorer not a secondary assist scavenger so that we could see who the more more prolific goal scorer is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad