Speculation: Leafs and Habs interested in Josh Anderson (CBJ).

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Well, he’s only slightly better in the playoffs! It really depends on the situation. When teams start taking liberties with Matthews, and they will, Anderson is a LOT better to have around. At under $2 million a season, he’s also far better to have around when it comes time to sign Matthews and Marner. I’m not saying straight up, but Anderson could be a huge part of a package.
Willy despite his poor performance last playoffs has 8 pts in 13 games whereas Josh has 5 in 11. So if we are looking at straight production william has produced ~18% more PPG. Also william was fantastic vs the caps that everyone conveniently forgets about. Again, no interest in dealing with CBJ unless werenski and jones are involved (and they WON'T be for GOOD reason I get that). No trade to be had here.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Andreas Johnsson + (something small) ?

Leafs should of traded Johnsson before this season started if you wanted value from him. I thought it kind of premature when some people said he was a for sure replacement for JVR in the off season. Great AHL stats on a deep AHL team don't always translate into the same in the NHL. He had a great AHL playoff run last year though!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Willy despite his poor performance last playoffs has 8 pts in 13 games whereas Josh has 5 in 11. So if we are looking at straight production willima has produced ~18% more PPG. Also william was fantastic vs the caps that everyone conveniently forgets about. Again, no interest in dealing with CBJ unless weresnki and jones are involved (and they WON"T be for GOOD reason I get that). No trade to be had here.

oh, I think I see your mistake friend.

you're including the Washington series, which didn't actually happen. Only the series against Boston happened.

Reactions: migi and ER89

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Leafs should of traded Johnsson before this season started if you wanted value from him. I thought it kind of premature when some people said he was a for sure replacement for JVR in the off season. Great AHL stats on a deep AHL team don't always translate into the same in the NHL. He had a great AHL playoff run last year though!

another Leaf hot take from you. so he's done and we're less than 10 games into the season? I hope you don't make real life decisions like this.

Reactions: Zrinski

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
another Leaf hot take from you. so he's done and we're less than 10 games into the season? I hope you don't make real life decisions like this.

Didn't say he was done. I said I thought it was funny that he was pegged as the JVR replacement. The Leafs appear to think all their prospects will fill holes at cheap ELC moving forward and no prospect will disappoint.

I have actually spoke to both positives and negatives towards the Leafs. It's not all negative. Just calling it the way I see it.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I disagree.

He showed more in the NHL last season than he has so far. Slow start, but he's a guy that could end up playing in our top 6 by next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree.

He showed more in the NHL last season than he has so far. Slow start, but he's a guy that could end up playing in our top 6 by next season.

Possible but he needs to prove himself. We will have to wait for him to adjust to the NHL for a larger sample size. Takes time.

So far... this is what he has accomplished.

AHL:
- 129 games
- 46 gols
- 101 pts
- 0.78 pts/game

NHL:
- 13 games
- 2 goals
- 4 pts
- 0.31 pts/game

No offense but it's very premature to peg him as a top 6 forward in the NHL at this point.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Possible but he needs to prove himself. We will have to wait for him to adjust to the NHL for a larger sample size. Takes time.

So far... this is what he has accomplished.

AHL:
- 129 games
- 46 gols
- 101 pts
- 0.78 pts/game

NHL:
- 13 games
- 2 goals
- 4 pts
- 0.31 pts/game

No offense but it's very premature to peg him as a top 6 forward in the NHL at this point.
That's what everyone said about kappy as well. What do we expect when they are on the fourth line?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Didn't say he was done. I said I thought it was funny that he was pegged as the JVR replacement. The Leafs appear to think all their prospects will fill holes at cheap ELC moving forward and no prospect will disappoint.

Why is it funny? you understand that players can contribute offensively and defensively right? well ok, JVR didn't, but regardless.

also your third sentence doesn't follow your second in the least, just another stupid jab at a rival. I don't care but at least be honest about it instead of passive aggressive and pretending to be objective. It's the latter that bugs me a lot more.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017

This post isn’t going to age well

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

I have actually spoke to both positives and negatives towards the Leafs. It's not all negative. Just calling it the way I see it.

Coming from you thats rich.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Connor Brown does not get you Josh Anderson.
He'd be an acceptable substitute if we found ourselves forced to move Anderson. But there's no scenario in which that happens, because he's tried the holdout route once before and lost.

* * *​
How is a team without a #1 C in a win now mode? I think Dubois could get there eventually, but he's not yet.
The team's opinion of Dubois is higher than yours. That's how.

* * *​
Jake Gardiner + Josh Leivo or Connor Brown + Conditional Pick for Josh Anderson + David Savard
I swear to G-d if I see one more variant on swapping Gardiner for Savard with Leivo as a throw in for something else valuable I am going to flip out and start randomly stabbing anybody wearing blue and white. And there are people I like and respect who sometimes wear blue and white, so I really don't want to be stuck in that situation. So can we please not do this anymore? :)

* * *​
Assuming Nylander's asking too much I wonder is Anderson is the type of guy they'd roll with in the top six in his absence.

Would a deal like Nylander and a warm body for Anderson, Carlsson and Peeke make sense for both teams?

It'd be a massive hit for Columbus' defensive prospect depth, but they'll also have Panarin's return to potentially recover anything lost in this deal. Toronto, on the other hand gets Carlsson, a close to NHL-ready shut-down type D they're hoping to find plus Andrew Peeke, a good quality college D prospect to add to their right side.
Tough but workable for Columbus. Toronto, however, is also trying to compete now, and Peeke isn't close enough to NHL-ready, so I don't think that really helps. (And LD is already overstocked, so Carlsson would have the same problems finding ice time there that he does here.)

* * *​
4. Your right no one has ever in the history of the league been traded for a guy slightly better for +'s.
Um. The difference is a just a bit more than "slightly".

* * *​
Last year I offered Gaudette for Anderson and some CBJ fans were open to it. Since then, he has won the Hobey Baker and played well at the pro level.

Would you guys still do this?
I'd be tempted, for sure. Hesitant, but tempted.

* * *​
Nikita Scherbak, Lehkonen and a 2nd round pick
No. None of those assets do anything useful for us now, and given the Bread/Bob situation, we're kind of worried about now.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
1. K
2. Im being fair
3. He is not thats why there is a +. Very rarely is a trade 1 for 1 unless they are young or fringe NHLers
4. Your right no one has ever in the history of the league been traded for a guy slightly better for +'s.
Of course they have, but when you get all indignant about asking for your middle 6 guy and say it's illogical to deal him for a lesser player +..... when at the same time saying that your middle 6 guy and a plus is totally logical for a top line player....

... well you run the risk of being contradictory at best.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Well, he’s only slightly better in the playoffs! It really depends on the situation. When teams start taking liberties with Matthews, and they will, Anderson is a LOT better to have around. At under $2 million a season, he’s also far better to have around when it comes time to sign Matthews and Marner. I’m not saying straight up, but Anderson could be a huge part of a package.

11 games and 13 games isn't enough of a sample size to say one guy is better than the other in the playoffs.

I also don't believe Anderson (or any other player) is going to stop someone from taking liberties with another player.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I also don't believe Anderson (or any other player) is going to stop someone from taking liberties with another player.

I think this is the key. Two years ago I would have said Anderson can take care of himself and others if needed. Last year Anderson turned his game into a finesse one who didn't do squat to stop the Capitals from physically hammering the Jackets in the playoffs.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not interested in trading Lehkonen for Anderson 1-for-1, definitely not adding.

I would do it even if I really like Lehkonen, we have alote of player in the style of Lehkonen on the roaster and in the propsect pool but we have no profil like Josh Anderson ! It would be tough but I would do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad