Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It's game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, Tanev just spent the last 6 games injured from blocking a shot. Doctors say he's good to go, Tanev says he's good to go.

Do you put a rusty Tanev in and mess up 3 pairings worth of chemistry?
Tanev will be long retired before Vancouver is back in the finals. So I don't know what to say.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m a fan of his, think he’s be a great partner for either Rielly or Gards, and would really round out our D. Willing to take a chance on his health. We’ve got an excess of skilled right wings (Nylander, Marner, Brown and Kapanen), IMO it makes sense for one of Brown or Kapanen to be in the deal.

If it was something like Brown + Zaitsev for Tanev, we could roll with:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen
Johnsson - Moore - Komarov

Rielly - Tanev
Gards - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

That’s a really strong lineup, that could be very dangerous in the playoffs.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I’m a fan of his, think he’s be a great partner for either Rielly or Gards, and would really round out our D. Willing to take a chance on his health. We’ve got an excess of skilled right wings (Nylander, Marner, Brown and Kapanen), IMO it makes sense for one of Brown or Kapanen to be in the deal.

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen

Rielly - Tanev
Gards - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

I feel like trading Zaitsev would look to bad on leaf management. What kind of message would that send to potential European free agents? Specially doing it the same year we extended him. I would do that trade though lol

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Longtimeleaffan85

Feb 8, 2018

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen

Rielly - Tanev
Gards - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

I know johnsson playing good in the ahl but he isnt getting uncle leo's job this season !

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
31 thoughts podcast

Friedman: Friedman:
“I have no idea what to expect from (the Leafs). They asked about Tanev. They’re obviously in on Glendening. I could see (them) making a lateral move to get something else. Like what if they trade someone to get something and then use that something to get someone else”

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Canuck fans are f***ing delusional when it comes to Tanev.

Exhibit A:

Vancouver Canucks: Trading Chris Tanev is not an option

"It’s a good thing that the Canucks are rightfully attaching a very expensive price for Tanev’s services. But really, they should be virtually hanging up the phone on any call for Tanev. The Canucks cannot afford to part with him. That is unless they’re being offered a Sidney Crosby/Connor McDavid-type player or a handful of early draft picks."

Sidney Crosby or McDavid for Tanev lol.

I am sorry guys, Matthews won't even cut it. They want Crosby or McDavid.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Since when have rumours gotten leaked from the Leafs ?

There is more than 1 way to have information leaked. Maybe the Canucks did. Maybe an agent did. Maybe other teams talking did. Who knows how the information leaked out...

Why is this brought up every single time?

Reactions: Erndog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There is more than 1 way to have information leaked. Maybe the Canucks did. Maybe an agent did. Maybe other teams talking did. Who knows how the information leaked out...

Why is this brought up every single time?

No idea. Wonder if the Tanev to Toronto thing died or they're discussing it? I would KILL to tap Lou and Benning's phone for the next few days.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Why? We're a big dman away from being contenders now. Why throw away a year? Dmen won't be any cheaper in the summer.

2 years left on his deal, the price for him is probably sky high and most likely won't come down before the trade deadline. Benning would love to take advantage of the desperate Leafs and their fans who feel we are one defender away from contention.

If we're going to trade for him would rather wait when the price is lower.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I look at Hamonic and i think its that price minus some. The minuses come from the fact that Tanev is more injury prone than Hamonic and is being traded at an older age (though not by much)

Reactions: Macallan18

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
2 years left on his deal, the price for him is probably sky high and most likely won't come down before the trade deadline. Benning would love to take advantage of the desperate Leafs and their fans who feel we are one defender away from contention.

If we're going to trade for him would rather wait when the price is lower.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the price on him would be lower in the summer. It's a buyer's market this deadline by all accounts, and the fact that he's currently on IR should impact his value further. There will likely be more suitors for him in the summer (teams who are out of contention this season will be looking to load up for next), and as you'd mentioned, since he has 2 years left, teams getting him will still have plenty of control.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
There's no chance any premium assets go out the door for Tanev.

I don't understand all the fuss over this player, frankly. He's never played a full season and doesn't look to be getting any healthier.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as I don't want Tanev to Leafs due to his health, this might be a good time to get him BC he is injured. If that make any sense.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
He's a terrific d-man when healthy, but his injuries do scare me. quite a bit. They might be "freak injuries," but it's still tough to pay a big price tag for a guy who's injured a lot.

With that said, a healthy Tanev would bolster our d-corps tremendously. He's elite defensively and would make a dominant pair with Rielly or Gardiner.

As long as the price isn’t more than a 1st + prospect not named Kapanen, Liljegren or Dermott then I’m fine with it.

I agree with this.

If the Leafs really are "aggressively" after Tanev then I hope they can convince Vancouver that an offer like this is good. I like Tanev a lot, but it would suck giving up a Kappy, Lilly, or Dermott.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Frulix

Jan 6, 2018
I think this deal will include either zaitsev or carrick (whichever the canucks feel gives them the most value they need a roster player coming back on D), B tier prospect ( Borgman/Nielson/Bracco) and 2018 1st. This is a deal I would be offering and it wont be enough to get Tanev. Anything more is really too much, especially adding Liljegren or Rasenen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad