Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Johnsson is not playing tonight and hes not injured....feel its for Tanev or Mcdonagh who we are both after..so they say
I'm late to this party but in the prospects thread it says Johnsson is day to day with an abductors strain

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Accurate, I was wondering about that earlier too but then they confirmed he was out with it.
Ya I would not mind tanev but I also would not shell out for him only because of his injury history.
That said I wonder if our sports science team could turn him into an iron man?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ya I would not mind tanev but I also would not shell out for him only because of his injury history.
That said I wonder if our sports science team could turn him into an iron man?

If our sports science team got him to 75GP a year that would be amazing. Don't want to pay some prices for defense people are suggesting for Tanev or McDonagh. Isn't the year to "go for it" like some are suggesting.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I’m a fan of his, think he’s be a great partner for either Rielly or Gards, and would really round out our D. Willing to take a chance on his health. We’ve got an excess of skilled right wings (Nylander, Marner, Brown and Kapanen), IMO it makes sense for one of Brown or Kapanen to be in the deal.

If it was something like Brown + Zaitsev for Tanev, we could roll with:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen
Johnsson - Moore - Komarov

Rielly - Tanev
Gards - Hainsey
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

That’s a really strong lineup, that could be very dangerous in the playoffs.
We have too many left D so why not move a lefty? I would day Gardiner in a straight hockey trade

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If our sports science team got him to 75GP a year that would be amazing. Don't want to pay some prices for defense people are suggesting for Tanev or McDonagh. Isn't the year to "go for it" like some are suggesting.
I agree on the not paying the price. Patience wins the day for me.
When the cupboards are overflowing then sure but not yet for me too

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
on TR/FA main board already, apparently Leafs are 1 of 2 teams agressively after Tanev. Benning said he'd be willing to trade D for forwards after signing Gudbranson to a longterm contract. Going to add some options on a poll of what we'd be willing to give up as fans, would be cool to look back at if Tanev does come to Toronto. Didn't take anyone other than Kappy & JVR off the roster as options, make your case for another player if so but you can use the players listed as relative values

Source is Dalliwal, apparently a great VAN source

I’ll take none Johnny

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Leafs would do well to hold onto their 1st, Liljegren, and Kapanen. The rest can be moved (though I really like Johnsson and see him as a future top 9 roster player).

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Canuck fans are ****ing delusional when it comes to Tanev.

Exhibit A:

Vancouver Canucks: Trading Chris Tanev is not an option

"It’s a good thing that the Canucks are rightfully attaching a very expensive price for Tanev’s services. But really, they should be virtually hanging up the phone on any call for Tanev. The Canucks cannot afford to part with him. That is unless they’re being offered a Sidney Crosby/Connor McDavid-type player or a handful of early draft picks."

Sidney Crosby or McDavid for Tanev lol.

I am sorry guys, Matthews won't even cut it. They want Crosby or McDavid.

I've never seen a fan base more delusional about a player as Vancouver is with Tanev.

They're in a rebuild and feel absolutely no urgency in trading a 28 year old defensive defenceman.

It makes no sense.

But then again, it's the same organization that held on to Luongo too long, then traded Cory Schneider. They then trade Luongo for nothing and used the cap money to sign an atrocious Loui Eriksson to one of the worst contracts in hockey.

They deserve to be terrible, if they still think they should hold on to guys like Tanev.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Of all the rumours out there this is the best D man we can target as his cost will be reasonable and he is easily the best one available.

Make no mistake we are pressing hard to get a D man who can play in our top 4.

This is also the year to go for despite what some think we have a window this year that is closing next year and the year after where long term decision have to be made that we see us lose good players to be replaced by cheaper players.

We are two pieces away from being very good a strong D man and a forward who can play in our top 9 that can physically change a game who can play up and down the line up giving us a physical presence on a line.

Reactions: Macallan18

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not desperate for Tanev but if he did go anywhere, does that mean for the rest of this season said team would only be responsible for his remaining cap hit?

Cap Hit: $4,450,000

Accumulated Daily Cap Hit: 3.40M
Remaining Daily Cap Hit: 1.05M

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Wait, what if there isn’t a second team aggressively pursuing Tanev? What if it’s all a big lie by the source to up our offer... what if!

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
It's game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, Tanev just spent the last 6 games injured from blocking a shot. Doctors say he's good to go, Tanev says he's good to go.

Do you put a rusty Tanev in and mess up 3 pairings worth of chemistry?
Over Polak???
Hmmmmm, let me think a millisecond

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Leafs better not be too aggressive, they may end up injuring him again. I sure hope there is no truth to this, and if there is it better be no more than a 2nd.

Reactions: Al14

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not interested in giving up a 1st for Tanev. Plus either Kappy or Lily. No thanks. If we deal a 1st, we'd better get one back. Looking at you UFA.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I love Tanev’s game but the broken leg kind of kills this deal for me unless the price is very good. Imagine if Boston gets him?
I wonder if Demers isn’t a cheaper less injury prone option?
Maybe he would waive his no trade to join what would be a serious cup contender

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm just glad all these rumors confirm that Lou recognizes our Top 4 is flawed.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Can Tanev put us over the top from the infirmary?

I don't think so!

Better to stay far, far, far away from an injury prone D like Tanev. If the Canucks are willing to trade him, then, this is an indication that they themselves have given up on him being a healthy and useful D going forward.

Please don't make the mistake of handing over any serious assets for this wounded soldier!

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
When healthy there is no doubt that Tanev might be the best fit for our D group, but I'm so torn on giving up Kapanen potentially. I'd rather just try our luck in the offseason.

Grab Glendening for the 4th line C spot and we're good I think.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs might go one stop shopping in Detroit and grad Glendening and Green. I think those are close to our cheapest options. Yup Green is not great defensively but he sure as heck can't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad