Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Johnsson is not playing tonight and hes not injured....feel its for Tanev or Mcdonagh who we are both after..so they say

Damn, I love Johnsson. Would have been a perfect Komarov/JVR replacement next year. Oh well. Have to give to get I guess.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
How do we change our vote? I thought it said what it would take, not how much we'd want to give up. lol

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
that's different tho, the way this team holds its cards during the season compared to during the offseason is apples to oranges.

not so. those were way before the off-season.
i'm not saying that Lou keeps it quiet. i'm just saying it's not so it's a dead lie, if you see some seeds sown is all

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If he was an 80 game a year guy he would not be available. Misses lots, but broken finger, broken thumb, broken leg and mumps have been some of the causes, and are not likely to repeat. For a club that gets out shot way too often he seems like a pretty good add for the cost. I remember how much more I preferred Hamonic last year but a healthy Tanev is more effective.

again. i will point out this was said about Lupul.
all of his injuries were flukes, never to be repeated again. but being that injured takes a toll on your body.
again: LUPUL

Reactions: FADYB and 1specter

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
No interest in Tanev, like non whatsoever. But if it came down to it and the deal was happening, I’d be ok with Bracco/Carrick+ 2nd.

Reactions: supermann_98

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Seriously people go look at his games played every year, this is not the guy we want, especially for the price a lot of you are voting for.

edit: over the last 5 seasons he’s played 76% of his games. That’s good for 62 games a year on average.
Find out what they'll say yes to, then offer 76% of that and nothing more. Same goes for his extension.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
None of the above, it's not happening. Heard it myself on Leafs Lunch by Bobby Mac, the Leafs are very reluctant to give up 1st round picks or top prospects for anyone !!!! Maybe a cap dump.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Not really interested in Tanev. I think we need to be aiming higher. I think we only really have room to add one big defender... so we should wait and get an elite one if we're going to make a big move.

Long term we already have: Reilly, Zaitsev, Dermott, Liljegren, and Borgman. We may also re-sign Gardiner. So if we make a trade for a defender, we need someone who is a clear upgrade over what we already have.

And we'll be a cap team from now on... so it's going to be tough to replace someone like Liljegren who will have 3 years on his ELC contract.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
that's different tho, the way this team holds its cards during the season compared to during the offseason is apples to oranges.

Hamonic was much more highly regarded then tanev has ever been. tanev has been a high point on a rebuilding stale canucks team. hamonic is the reason why you wont see teams pay that price for tanev.

I just cant see babs being pro Tanev when the kid cant stay healthy. every injury prone player we had 3 years ago is either jettisoned to robidas island or removed by trades

I hope he is traded so we can find out what his value is. Quite the discrepancy among the various fanbases.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
A healthy Tanev would be intriguing, but let's get real here, he wouldn't last a period of playoff hockey. His injury list reads like a Medical compendium.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A winger (position of strength) and a 2nd. Don't really expect that to get the deal done.

Would probably take a 1st and an NHL ready forward. Don't know how likely it would be to get conditions based on GP for Tanev. (Edit: forgot that since we're at the 23 man roster limit, one of our current players would likely be part of any trade as well.)

Not overly keen on the idea of this trade, but RHD is a need, so I understand where the chatter comes from.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Tanev is a decent 2nd pairing defensive dman, nothing more.

Would be a nice add, but shouldn't cost anything close to a top young asset.

Aside from his injury history, he's an ideal target to replace Hainsey. Although he's not going to be a great 1st pair D (because he doesn't drive possession), he's elite defensively and that pairs well with the possession-driving LHD in Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott. I would never give up any of our top prospects such as Kapanen/Lilijegren. Johnsson + 2nd is the highest I'd go, no 1st involved. Our 1st, even if it's the 20th-30th pick, is way too valuable given the success we've had in drafting in the Hunter regime.

As Hainsey declines, I'd have this going into the playoffs:

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I rather see johnsson in the nhl lineup and see his impact on our skilled core players as opposed to trade for glass man 2.0. Stay away from tanev, he is not a huge upgrade on what we currently have. Zaitsev will get better as the contract goes, he is currently a 4/5 and is injured. I think he can be a good number 3 dmen. We have lilijgren developing. I think if we need to purse defenders it should be free agent bottom pairing guys who can take some top 4 spot minutes, until lilijgren, rasanen, middleton etc show they are ready for the NHL. Unless we have a serious issue in the playoffs where we blow defensively, I don't see a huge rush to upgrade the backend. It's a top 15 defensive unit, we can be patient and see our options.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lou after someone with a broken bone? It must be on the cheap cheap leaning next to free. Can't imagine Lou doing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad