Confirmed with Link: Leafs agree on 2 year deal with Reimer ($2.3M AAV)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Q: Will James Reimer Supplant Jonathan Bernier as Maple Leafs Starter?

A: No.

This article is just trolling for clicks.
bleacherreport = won't be reading again.

The Leafs need to play Bernier most of the season to see what value he holds in the future. Reimer isn't 1B. He's the #2 man. Bernier should play as many games as he wants, virtually regardless of his performance.

I don't think that ever works out well. See Carlyle, Randy.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I wouldn't judge any goalie based on the defensive ****fest that happened last season (and longer). Both goalies were absolutely standing on their heads early on and people were saying it couldn't go on. So how surprising was it that Bernier came up with an "over-exertion" type injury and Reimer had a confidence meltdown? This defense, which started very poorly, against all odds, actually got worse. I still think we have 2 very good goalies if we can play any kind of actual defense in front of them.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Alright.........

Let's compromise and blame Phaneuf :sarcasm:

Well, at times, Phaneuf is part of the problem! However, Franson seems to be the poster boy for giving the other team prime scoring chances!

Tyler Biggs*

What many people forget is that Reimer has had a full off season (without Allaire) to work on his game. James Reimer has a great attitude and work ethic so I fully expect that he has solved some of the issues that plagued him. I have no doubt that Reimer will just keep getting better and better as time passes.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
What many people forget is that Reimer has had a full off season (without Allaire) to work on his game. James Reimer has a great attitude and work ethic so I fully expect that he has solved some of the issues that plagued him. I have no doubt that Reimer will just keep getting better and better as time passes.

Aside from the rebounds and his glove hand, Reimer is a pretty damn good goalie. If he really pushes himself, he can really challenge Bernier this season for sure.

My problem with Reimer is not his aformentioned woes, it's more or less how long it takes him to get into good form. In the previous seasons, his first game he wasn't good, his second game he was better, his third game he was better, and by the time he hit his 4th start in a row (with the exception of back-to-back games) he did really well. That's my biggest gripe with him. He needs consistent starts to get to that level. Where Bernier can sometimes come in cold and be a brick wall in net.

I hope Reimer steps it up, and turns it into a battle for the crease between him and Bernier. If he can just find his form faster than in previous seasons, then we will have a really good 1-2 punch in net.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He has a bad year-good year-bad year cycle so he is due:). I like the deal but more from the standpoint of him being able to play himself into being in some other team's sights as a possible #1 guy. Hope he brings it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't wait for camp, and I will be rooting for James to prove to all his doubters, he is still a good goalie. He's so easy to root for. Wishing him the best.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I like Reimer. Im rooting for him to be solid this year. Whether he is better than Bernier I dont care, as long as the Leafs as a team are enjoyable to watch and win games.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I hope Reimer can get it back together this year. He's proven that he's a quality goaltender. Last year was rather frustrating for him, hopefully this year can go better. I still believe 100% Reimer can be a #1.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I just hope if Reimer does have to take the backup position again that he'll be able to come through in that spot. May not be the easiest to adjust to less consistent games, but we'll need him to be able to.

Tyler Biggs*

I can't wait for camp, and I will be rooting for James to prove to all his doubters, he is still a good goalie. He's so easy to root for. Wishing him the best.

:handclap:

How can you not like Reimer. Never seen a player handle the Toronto media better than him.

Knock this guy down, and he always gets right back up. Way ta go Reims, hope to see you become the hero again.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You sure throw 'hero' around pretty lightly.

So Cujo is what? Our Father and creator? :sarcasm:

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Sooner. A month and a half in when a couple teams second guess their keepers

As soon as Reimer puts a nice streak together and another team's #1 gets injured or flounders... see ya.
I'm a fanboy but they've already made their choice and are just waiting for a good deal.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Love James Reimer, but he would do well just to make a career of being a backup goalie in the NHL. No shame in that. He just has too many defects in his game to be a career number one guy.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Reimer will be dealt at the deadline for overpayment...

What this tells me is that…

A) You do not like James Reimer.
B) You think that NHL Execs around the league think he is a good goaltender.

Maybe Part A is a little my interpretation.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"Knock him down and he always gets right up"

He lost the starters job and in response went 0-12 in his last 12.

Soooo......

Tyler Biggs*

"Knock him down and he always gets right up"

He lost the starters job and in response went 0-12 in his last 12.

Soooo......

In the season before last Reimer had a save percentage of .924, eighth best in the NHL. With an improved team in front of him he will rebound. I'm happy with him resigning.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't judge any goalie based on the defensive ****fest that happened last season (and longer). Both goalies were absolutely standing on their heads early on and people were saying it couldn't go on. So how surprising was it that Bernier came up with an "over-exertion" type injury and Reimer had a confidence meltdown? This defense, which started very poorly, against all odds, actually got worse. I still think we have 2 very good goalies if we can play any kind of actual defense in front of them.

Would be nice if Franson could actually hit someone this year, never seen a guy with his size be so soft. I'm looking forward to Polak's gritty style and Robidas with his veteran presence. Really hoping Gardiner has a bounce back year just didn't look anything like the player from the 2013 playoffs.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Love James Reimer, but he would do well just to make a career of being a backup goalie in the NHL. No shame in that. He just has too many defects in his game to be a career number one guy.

He needs a fresh start on a team with a weak goalie tandem to get #1 opportunity. He can say all he wants about "competing" for the #1 job but that's all he's going to be doing is "competing". No matter how well he plays in training camp and pre-season Bernier is the #1. He'd be a great fit in Winnipeg. He can go back home, get a chance to take the #1 spot away from Pavelec. He has a better chance of becoming a #1 there then he does here that's for sure.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Agreed 100%...

One bad stretch and all of a sudden everyone throws out all the good he's done.

Who saved our ***** in games 5 and 6 against the Bruins in the playoffs?

One bad stretch? Excuse me but you have it backwards. It's one good stretch and we've given the keys to the city and completely have fallen ignorant to the fact that he's been inconsistent at the NHL level to the extent in why Bernier is a Leaf.

Reimer didn't save the Leafs in those games vs Boston but it's typical to proclaim he did and be ignorant that the team in front did have a good series vs Boston. All we do on this forum is crap on the defense as if they have to limit the opposition where the goalies only have to make routine saves for the D to be viewed successful. The funny thing is for the most part a large amount of the shots on goal both goalies faced were of the routine save perimeter just get it to the net shots variety that padded save% numbers. Reimer consistently struggled leavening rebounds from soft shots and it's the D 's fault? Reimer in gave 7 how many of those directed shots on goal were of the just get it to the net variety? How many did he freeze and slow the pace down when you knew that Boston was coming? The tying goal came from Reimer not even be able to catch a floater from the perimeter leaving a rebound that extended play... When do we hold Reimer responsible for his role in not 1 not 2 but all 3 collapses?

1 bad stretch give me a break.:help:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
One bad stretch? Excuse me but you have it backwards. It's one good stretch and we've given the keys to the city and completely have fallen ignorant to the fact that he's been inconsistent at the NHL level to the extent in why Bernier is a Leaf.

Reimer didn't save the Leafs in those games vs Boston but it's typical to proclaim he did and be ignorant that the team in front did have a good series vs Boston. All we do on this forum is crap on the defense as if they have to limit the opposition where the goalies only have to make routine saves for the D to be viewed successful. The funny thing is for the most part a large amount of the shots on goal both goalies faced were of the routine save perimeter just get it to the net shots variety that padded save% numbers. Reimer consistently struggled leavening rebounds from soft shots and it's the D 's fault? Reimer in gave 7 how many of those directed shots on goal were of the just get it to the net variety? How many did he freeze and slow the pace down when you knew that Boston was coming? The tying goal came from Reimer not even be able to catch a floater from the perimeter leaving a rebound that extended play... When do we hold Reimer responsible for his role in not 1 not 2 but all 3 collapses?

1 bad stretch give me a break.:help:

Bernier is wayyyy better than Reimer when it comes directing pucks away from the net, and he can actually catch a puck. If we had Bernier in that game 7 I don't think that game gets tied up. Reimer has a tendency to just pound pucks right back into the slot and it's really hard to ask a D-man to take his man but also cover rebounds your goalie gives right back out in prime scoring spots. It's a goalies job to direct play away from the net when he gets the opportunity...or catch the puck or cover up for a whistle. Reimer just lacks judgement on that, he allows plays to continue way too much. Covering up for a face-off is never a bad thing.

I really hope Reimer can come in and just focus on improving everyday in practice, focus on being ready to play and not worry so much if he's going to be the #1..if he does we're just going to have another year like last year. Focus on playing well in the 20+ games he's going to get and hopefully he and the team can work out a trade and both parties are happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad