Confirmed with Link: Leafs agree on 2 year deal with Reimer ($2.3M AAV)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He needs a fresh start on a team with a weak goalie tandem to get #1 opportunity. He can say all he wants about "competing" for the #1 job but that's all he's going to be doing is "competing". No matter how well he plays in training camp and pre-season Bernier is the #1. He'd be a great fit in Winnipeg. He can go back home, get a chance to take the #1 spot away from Pavelec. He has a better chance of becoming a #1 there then he does here that's for sure.

Winnipeg is a tough town: I grew up there watching the old WCHL Jets and the WHA Jets play at the Winnipeg Arena.

Winnipeg would eat him alive if he gives up rebounds and has a weak glove hand. It is anything but a soft landing spot.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
My only issue with the signing is that we know that Reimer wants to be a starter but unless Bernier forgets how to be a goalie, Reimer will not be the starter here in Toronto. Unless Bernier gets severely injured or has a really bad streak, Reimer will not get the opportunity to play like a starter (meaning several consecutive games - which is what Reimer needs to get in a groove). Bernier will likely be given more leeway because he's a more complete package goalie and from the very top of management to the bottom - Bernier has earned their confidence in one year than Reimer has in 3.

I think Reimer will be dealt before his contract is up and I hope that he can use the opportunity this season to showcase himself to all the suitors around the league. He's a good guy and I would like to see him get the chance to reach his goals, it just won't likely be here in Toronto. While he eventually gotten beaten down by the pressure and competition, this season, nobody is looking at him as a real threat for a job that's already been given to Bernier. Hopefully he'll be able to perform more consistently with less pressure of competition. Just focus on winning, that's it.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
And our backup will then be...?

Garret Sparks? :o
Last season he had .916 SV% in 10 games with Orlando, and .915 SV% in 21 games with the Marlies. Not world-beating, but OK, especially for a backup. His cap hit is $770,000 so bringing him up would free up approx $1.5 million in cap space, minus anything Toronto retains on Reimer's contract.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Last season he had .916 SV% in 10 games with Orlando, and .915 SV% in 21 games with the Marlies. Not world-beating, but OK, especially for a backup. His cap hit is $770,000 so bringing him up would free up approx $1.5 million in cap space, minus anything Toronto retains on Reimer's contract.

The Leafs shouldn't have to retain any salary in a Reimer trade. If a team like Winnipeg is looking for goaltending help down the road or for a possible #1 to push Pavelec Reimer's 2.3 million salary is very easy to take on. A team would have to be really up against the cap

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Winnipeg is a tough town: I grew up there watching the old WCHL Jets and the WHA Jets play at the Winnipeg Arena.

Winnipeg would eat him alive if he gives up rebounds and has a weak glove hand. It is anything but a soft landing spot.

When I mentioned that it would be easier for Reimer in Winnipeg I was talking about comparing his competition. He has no chance getting the net here in Toronto with Bernier but he would have an easier time in Winnipeg going up against Pavelec. In response to Winnipeg as a hockey town lol no doubt they are loud and proud. The Reimer chants are awesome, I love the passion this country has for hockey. I will say this though..always has me laughing when I hear Jets fans complain about the Leafs and act all hard and nasty like they have some sort of rivalry against us..Don't understand the hate but hey I'm not surprised wherever it came from they're just like every other fan base in this country..they all hate the Leafs

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The Leafs shouldn't have to retain any salary in a Reimer trade. If a team like Winnipeg is looking for goaltending help down the road or for a possible #1 to push Pavelec Reimer's 2.3 million salary is very easy to take on. A team would have to be really up against the cap
Winnipeg SHOULD be looking for a replacement for Pavelec. But it looks like a case of "our management is stupider than your management; neener; neener".

Pavelec should've been complianced this summer. The Jets HAD 3 goalies who were obviously superior to Pavelec. But they let Al Montoya (.920 SV% with Jets last season) walk to Florida for $1.05 million. And they also traded away Eddie Pasquale (.920 SV% AHL last season). He's an RFA, and his qualifying offer would've been approx 1/3rd of Reimer's contract. The only remaining competition is Mike Hutchinson, an RFA at $575,000. Hutchinson wipes the floor with Reimer. He is not only big, but very competent positionally, something that Reimer isn't. And he had an amazing 2013-2014 season. If the Jets wouldn't go for superior goalies like Montoya and Pasquale at bargain prices, I don't see them picking up Reimer at $2.3 million. And no, you're not getting Kane for Reimer :deadhorse

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Winnipeg SHOULD be looking for a replacement for Pavelec. But it looks like a case of "our management is stupider than your management; neener; neener".

Pavelec should've been complianced this summer. The Jets HAD 3 goalies who were obviously superior to Pavelec. But they let Al Montoya (.920 SV% with Jets last season) walk to Florida for $1.05 million. And they also traded away Eddie Pasquale (.920 SV% AHL last season). He's an RFA, and his qualifying offer would've been approx 1/3rd of Reimer's contract. The only remaining competition is Mike Hutchinson, an RFA at $575,000. Hutchinson wipes the floor with Reimer. He is not only big, but very competent positionally, something that Reimer isn't. And he had an amazing 2013-2014 season. If the Jets wouldn't go for superior goalies like Montoya and Pasquale at bargain prices, I don't see them picking up Reimer at $2.3 million. And no, you're not getting Kane for Reimer :deadhorse

Hutchison's played THREE career games and he's "wipes the floor" with a goalie who backstopped a team to the playoffs?

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Hutchison's played THREE career games and he's "wipes the floor" with a goalie who backstopped a team to the playoffs?
His 2013-2014 season consisted of a lot more than 3 games. See http://capgeek.com/player/1657

Team | # of Games | SV% | comments
Ontario Reign ECHL|28|.921
St John's Icecaps AHL|24|.923|Regular season
St John's Icecaps AHL|21|.938|Playoffs
Winnipeg Jets NHL|3|.943

BTW, when was the last time Reimer or Bernier played 76 games in 1 season?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
His 2013-2014 season consisted of a lot more than 3 games. See http://capgeek.com/player/1657

Winnipeg Jets NHL|3|.943

Should we count his midget numbers too? What about bantam?

I mean, come on, your not only trying to pass off American League numbers, your actually bringing up his ECHL numbers?

He's played three career NHL games. He actually found himself without a contract after being released by the Providence Bruins last year.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013

Winnipeg Jets NHL|3|.943

at least they have played in NHL. Hutchinson is still just potential

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Should we count his midget numbers too? What about bantam?

I mean, come on, your not only trying to pass off American League numbers, your actually bringing up his ECHL numbers?
I was using his 2013-2014 season numbers. Goalie is actually the one position where numbers carry over pretty well from ECHL to AHL to NHL. And actually playing and getting experience in the ECHL beats sitting on the bench in the AHL as the backup. Hutchinson never had a chance to show his talents, due to a numbers game. Eddie Pasquale looked to be the Jets next goalie, but elected to have surgery done in mid-season, which is when Hutchinson got called up. Have you ever heard of Wally Pipp?

Pipp is now best remembered as the man who lost his starting role to Lou Gehrig at the beginning of Gehrig's streak of 2,130 consecutive games. According to a popular legend, Pipp asked to sit due to a headache.

Hutchinson was called up, and went on to have a great run. It might possibly be a fluke season, but his playing style is very good. I watched him (Gamecentre Live) during those 3 games. He is a totally different player from Pavelec/Reimer. He's "boring" in goal. That's a good thing, because you do not want "excitement" there. He was almost always in good position, so even if he didn't see the puck coming, it still hit him and stayed out of the net.

He's played three career NHL games. He actually found himself without a contract after being released by the Providence Bruins last year.
Boston had a very deep goalie system. Hutchinson simply never had a chance to strut his stuff.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I was using his 2013-2014 season numbers. Goalie is actually the one position where numbers carry over pretty well from ECHL to AHL to NHL. And actually playing and getting experience in the ECHL beats sitting on the bench in the AHL as the backup. Hutchinson never had a chance to show his talents, due to a numbers game. Eddie Pasquale looked to be the Jets next goalie, but elected to have surgery done in mid-season, which is when Hutchinson got called up. Have you ever heard of Wally Pipp?

Hutchinson was called up, and went on to have a great run. It might possibly be a fluke season, but his playing style is very good. I watched him (Gamecentre Live) during those 3 games. He is a totally different player from Pavelec/Reimer. He's "boring" in goal. That's a good thing, because you do not want "excitement" there. He was almost always in good position, so even if he didn't see the puck coming, it still hit him and stayed out of the net.

Boston had a very deep goalie system. Hutchinson simply never had a chance to strut his stuff.

He's a positional goalie. Same as Reimer. The Jets just have a different coach, one who doesn't for the goalie to make 40+ saves a game.

Not to mention that Carlyle asked the goalies to corral rebounds into the slot, where the low-seated cluster of forwards were supposed to recover it and then begin zone exiting schemes. (Hint: This didn't work as planned)

Reimer is the same style of goalie. He plays positionally, blocks shots with minimal movement.

I watch many Jets games, as I am a season ticket holder, so I can assure you, Hutchinson benefitted from a team playing absurdly well in front of him, coupled with a weak schedule to close out the season.

If you or anyone on the Jets board think that Hutchinson is going to suddenly play 76 games at the NHL level this coming season, I have bad news for you.

I'm not saying that Hutchinson is a bust, but that you have fallen prey to the same disease that runs rampant on the Leafs boards, which is that a very small sample of games does not give enough information to justify claims of "Future Franchise Player".

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
He's a positional goalie. Same as Reimer. The Jets just have a different coach, one who doesn't for the goalie to make 40+ saves a game.

Not to mention that Carlyle asked the goalies to corral rebounds into the slot, where the low-seated cluster of forwards were supposed to recover it and then begin zone exiting schemes. (Hint: This didn't work as planned)

Reimer is the same style of goalie. He plays positionally, blocks shots with minimal movement.
Can I safely assume you forgot a bunch of :sarcasm: tags?

I watch many Jets games, as I am a season ticket holder, so I can assure you, Hutchinson benefitted from a team playing absurdly well in front of him, coupled with a weak schedule to close out the season.
This isn't the Jets forum. The only reason I brought up Hutchinson's name was in response to posters here who suggested that Reimer would automatically be the best goalie in Winnipeg. I have my doubts about that. Reimer could be #2 wanting to be #1... again.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

sparks isnt an nhl caliber goalie. at least not right now. if by some chance reimer was moved im sure nonis would bring in a veteran backup with some experience. either way i dont see reimer moved until next summer when bernier gets a raise. right now reimers $2.3 million isnt an issue but if bernier is making $5.5 it will be a problem.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
sparks isnt an nhl caliber goalie. at least not right now. if by some chance reimer was moved im sure nonis would bring in a veteran backup with some experience. either way i dont see reimer moved until next summer when bernier gets a raise. right now reimers $2.3 million isnt an issue but if bernier is making $5.5 it will be a problem.
Actually, it could be an issue with the Leafs cap situation. I started a separate thread http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=88711165#post88711165 about it.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

You know the difference between Lou Gehrig and Mike Hutchison?

Gehrig played more than three games.

No. He went on to have three good games. It isn't a season. It's a streak.

It's great that he has potential, but at this point, that's all it is. He hasn't proved anything and making him out to be your future starter, let alone saying he will "wipe the floor" with a goaltender who's actually had success at the NHL level is just over-the-top. And people complain about Leaf fans overhyping our prospects.

When Reimer first came up, he was still erratic, but he stopped the pucks. He went on a 20-game streak doing everything Hutchison did and more. But guess what? Eventually the pro scouts said "His glove hand isn't very good" and started targeting that. Same with Steve Mason. Holes in Hutchison's game will be found and that's when the true test of his ability will show. Until then, jury's out and you'd be wise to keep your expectation in check.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

seriously? he's hardly played pro at all. smh....

Pholus

May 23, 2014
34 games according to capgeek http://capgeek.com/player/2402 Basically 1 full season of minor league. Does a .915 SV% in the AHL/ECHL translate into similar numbers in the NHL? There's only 1 way to find out. At least look at him in training camp.

He'll definitely get a good look in training camp, might even start a pre-season game or two, but imo he is not ready for the NHL. Maybe if he has a really good season as the #1 for the Marlies, he might get called up to sit on the bench a few games, but I don't think he'll play much, if at all, for the Leafs.

Tyler Biggs*

One bad stretch? Excuse me but you have it backwards. It's one good stretch and we've given the keys to the city and completely have fallen ignorant to the fact that he's been inconsistent at the NHL level to the extent in why Bernier is a Leaf.

Reimer didn't save the Leafs in those games vs Boston but it's typical to proclaim he did and be ignorant that the team in front did have a good series vs Boston. All we do on this forum is crap on the defense as if they have to limit the opposition where the goalies only have to make routine saves for the D to be viewed successful. The funny thing is for the most part a large amount of the shots on goal both goalies faced were of the routine save perimeter just get it to the net shots variety that padded save% numbers. Reimer consistently struggled leavening rebounds from soft shots and it's the D 's fault? Reimer in gave 7 how many of those directed shots on goal were of the just get it to the net variety? How many did he freeze and slow the pace down when you knew that Boston was coming? The tying goal came from Reimer not even be able to catch a floater from the perimeter leaving a rebound that extended play... When do we hold Reimer responsible for his role in not 1 not 2 but all 3 collapses?

1 bad stretch give me a break.:help:

It's amazing how many people think they can judge a player's entire worth from a period and a half's worth of awful defence and unlucky bounces. Game 7 hurt for me too, but driving a good goalie out of town because of one bad period and deciding he 'can't play when the chips are down' forever after… well I'm glad our managers are more patient than that.

Reim's has what it takes to be a #1...he's class all the way and I'm very happy to have him come aboard and give the Leafs a great 1-2 punch in net.

Tyler Biggs*

Reimer does have some technical issues to work out (as mentioned; rebound control and glove side) but both are fixable. What can't be taught is pure talent and Reimer oozes it.

Not sure why anyone's hating on this guy. He faced an enormous amount of shots and stood tall most nights. Can't blame him for the Leafs' porous defense. Polak will do a good job of clearing the crease in front of him.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Not sure why anyone's hating on this guy.

uhhh, what? sure, hes got talent, but hes incredibly inconsistent. he'll stand on his head one game and the very next game he'll let in two softies in the first period. consistency is everything in a goalie and Reimer doesnt have it

Tyler Biggs*

Q: Will James Reimer Supplant Jonathan Bernier as Maple Leafs Starter?

A: No.

This article is just trolling for clicks.
bleacherreport = won't be reading again.

The Leafs need to play Bernier most of the season to see what value he holds in the future. Reimer isn't 1B. He's the #2 man. Bernier should play as many games as he wants, virtually regardless of his performance.

I think any bad situation can be turned around. The media made too much of the whole Reimer thing, and who's to say Bernier doesn't have a poor year and Reimer doesn't end up number one again? How would that be for a twist of fate? Even if that doesn't happen, we now have a one/two punch.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's just one game but Reimer looked like the 19-8-5 Goalie of 12-13. Credited with the win last night over the Rangers.

Promising start to the year until Moore knocked him out. Deja vu?

“I’m all right,” he said. “I should be ready to go at practice tomorrow.”

Should be interesting who gets the start Tuesday against the Avs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's just one game but Reimer looked like the 19-8-5 Goalie of 12-13. Credited with the win last night over the Rangers.

Promising start to the year until Moore knocked him out. Deja vu?

Should be interesting who gets the start Tuesday against the Avs.

I think Bernier gets the next 2 (unless he falters) and Reimer gets the 2nd of the back to back Wings games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad