GDT: ECSF: Game 5 - New York Rangers vs Carolina Hurricanes, 7pm ET, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I think it’s really same story next round for the Rangers. They really really had the edge and goal. The question really comes if they face Dallas in the final, I don’t think you’re gonna get these sort of goals with Oettinger, but I still really don’t see anyone left that can beat them.
There's a better "Dallas" facing them in the next round if they win this.

dhfa

Apr 18, 2023
There's a better "Dallas" facing them in the next round if they win this.
I don't know dallas looks really good too. Hard to tell how these teams will match up or who will be hurt when they do.

Reactions: elmaco

dhfa

Apr 18, 2023
The canes can't score. They give up a shorty against the run of play and can't beat Igor. The chances they've had you would think at least one would go in.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Panthers are still a thing
I think the Panthers are superior to the Rangers, but I do believe the Rangers own the goaltending matchup in that one.

However, it's not nearly to the degree of the Shesterkin/Andersen matchup. Andersen is a nobody bum goalie in 2024.

I think he's clearly the weakest goalie (not including the backups, but including some of them) left in these playoffs, though you can argue Skinner is pretty cold right now. On a fluctuating power ranking for the week I would probably put Skinner below Andersen right now, even though I don't believe Skinner to actually be a worse goalie than current day Andersen.

I'm not sure why Kochetkov isn't playing. It would be one thing if they never even went to him this series, but it was baffling he was put in for game 3 and never got a chance to get back in there for game 4.

Reactions: BrockLobster

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
The canes can't score. They give up a shorty against the run of play and can't beat Igor. The chances they've had you would think at least one would go in.
Canes need more shots and tip attempts, thats how they beat him in game 4

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The more you think about it….the Canes, despite their efforts at the TDL, are still a team that’s short on top-end talent/firepower….and at this stage/point in the postseason tournament it’s always going to hold them back against the leagues other elite contenders.

Look at this Rangers team….they’ve got the best forward, best defenseman, and best goaltender in this series zero debate about it. Their overall core of top tier forwards is slightly larger than that of the Canes as well. Beyond Panarin you’ve also got Zibanejad, Laf, Kreider, and Trocheck. Who on the Canes is on that same level? Aho, Guentzel, and then MAYBE Svech and/or Jarvis.

And there are multiple other contenders with cores that have even more firepower than the Rangers. And those contenders also have depth.

It’s looking like despite their elite depth and strong coaching/system/structure that they will ultimately be undone once again by their lack of star power.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
The fact the ref closest to the play didn't have his hand up blows my mind. Easiest call in the world to make. My god.

Reactions: elmaco

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
The more you think about it….the Canes, despite their efforts at the TDL, are still a team that’s short on top-end talent/firepower….and at this stage/point in the postseason tournament it’s always going to hold them back against the leagues other elite contenders.

Look at this Rangers team….they’ve got the best forward, best defenseman, and best goaltender in this series zero debate about it. Their overall core of top tier forwards is slightly larger than that of the Canes as well. Beyond Panarin you’ve also got Zibanejad, Laf, Kreider, and Trocheck. Who on the Canes is on that same level? Aho, Guentzel, and then MAYBE Svech and/or Jarvis.

And there are multiple other contenders with cores that have even more firepower than the Rangers. And those contenders also have depth.

It’s looking like despite their elite depth and strong coaching/system/structure that they will ultimately be undone once again by their lack of star power.
I think their goaltending is their weakest link. Canes have carried play for the majority of this series but can't get saves.

Reactions: dhfa

dhfa

Apr 18, 2023

seems like in this game at least, the only variable that matters is the goaltenders. Canes let in a shot that most goalies would stop, while Igor has stopped some odd man chances and what basically amounted to a penalty shot type chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad