TSN: Leafs actively shopping Calvin Pickard

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
What about Francouz

Francouz has never played an NHL game and likely will be eased into the NA game with their AHL affiliate. Varly is entering his final season before UFA, he can't stay healthy and could be moved at the TDL. Rushing to bring Francouz could be a risky bet.

AVs are extremely thin with Goalies. There is little to replace Francouz if promoted. They're trying to fill this critically weak area drafting and signing goalies. Still years away, they need a solution on the assumption their Goalies develop.

Picard loves the AVs, adequate backup and could fill in for the AHL team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why’d they even bother signing him?

Anybody that trades for him would have to play him in the NHL, correct? Can’t imagine many teams would be up for that. Maybe he gets traded if/after he clears waivers?

to be the starter for the marlies?
goalie depth?

cant imagine a lot of teams willing to pay pickard 800k to be in the AHL. good chance he clears

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Let the 3 potential backups battle it out in pre-season, with Sparks likely winning. Then waive the other two goalies at the same time and hope they both don't get claimed. If they do both get claimed, trade a 6th or 7th round draft pick for a serviceable #3 goalie that has already cleared waivers.

Reactions: Mork

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
But they’re shopping him...

Well I think, since he has more of a track record in the NHL the hope is someone will be willing to cough up a late pick. Sparks gets a chance to back up Andersen, McElhinney through waivers, Kaskisuo starts for the Marlies, McAdams starts for the Growlers.

Reactions: uncleben

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well I think, since he has more of a track record in the NHL the hope is someone will be willing to cough up a late pick. Sparks gets a chance to back up Andersen, McElhinney through waivers, Kaskisuo starts for the Marlies, McAdams starts for the Growlers.

I just don’t get it. Any team that trades for him is going to have to put him through waivers to put him in the AHL too. So how many teams are looking for an NHL backup in mid August?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The guys 35 and just had a unsustainably good season.

Any team that picks him up will regret it.

Except if that team is Toronto, apparantly, who claimed him after a less sustainably good, and disastrous last game with the Jackets a year and a half earlier.

The only regret a team would have is because they thought McBackup was more than he actually is......a backup. Otherwise its zero risk at a paltry real dollar cost.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
I just don’t get it. Any team that trades for him is going to have to put him through waivers to put him in the AHL too. So how many teams are looking for an NHL backup in mid August?

My guess is none. But it isn't like Dubas has anything else to do, like sign any free agents...
Maybe he'd like them to know the Leafs have a goalie available should they be unhappy with their options in training camp. And you never know if a GM decides to bite. That 2019 6th round pick is so far away...
Or the media doesn't have anything to do and is extrapolating from one conversation with one other GM. Probably not the Avs though, they run a tight ship don't they?

Reactions: exporta

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The guys 35 and just had a unsustainably good season.

Any team that picks him up will regret it.
I think there are very few of us who'd be okay if the Leafs dealt Mcbackup. He's not going to repeat his numbers from last year. End of story. There's two other goalies in Sparks and Pickard who are younger and potentially better.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So we could avoid the waiver issue by simply offering a 6th before 1 of the 2 hits waivers. & not all of the 29 teams ahead on the waiver list option have need of a backup they'd have to keep on the roster or lose to waivers themselves.
With only 2 goalies signed for the Moose trading Comrie leaves zero depth in case a goalie goes down on either team.
Jets have replacements on the Moose evertwhere but in net. Adding Pickard or Sparks & sending down Brossoit who is most likely to clear adds a cushion.

That would work. It depends on what it takes to get it done. If TO wants Comrie in the deal, then I do it. The aim is to get a better backup. It is not to get more system depth. Don't forget Berdin. If one of Pickard/Sparks or Helle is injured Brossoit moves up. Sign some 30 YO accountant to backup for the Moose.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I cannot see Toronto waiving Sparks, after having such a good year last season. Right now he doesn't have a ton of value, but he does still have potential. Pickard will be dropped on waivers pretty quickly. Not because he's bad, but because he has the least value. If I'm Toronto, I drop him on waivers early, before teams have a feeling about their backup situation, better chance he clears. McBackup and Sparks are the two best candidates to backup Andersen, but Sparks will have to outplay McBackup cause it's his gig by default right not. If Pickard clears, I would not trade Sparks or put him on waivers. Trade or drop McBackup, that way if Sparks struggles, you drop him on waivers and bring back up Pickard.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I actually like Pickard, but he couldn't be in a worse situation as far as the Leafs re-couping any value for him.

edit - I also think Pickard is a better NHL goalie than Sparks. More fundamentally sound, although probably not as athletic.

Reactions: TML1967

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The 1/2 punch of Pickard/Sparks was a huge reason why the marlies were successful last season. Even if we lose him for nothing after paying a 6th rounder for him so be it. Leafs already benefited from it.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
That would work. It depends on what it takes to get it done. If TO wants Comrie in the deal, then I do it. The aim is to get a better backup. It is not to get more system depth. Don't forget Berdin. If one of Pickard/Sparks or Helle is injured Brossoit moves up. Sign some 30 YO accountant to backup for the Moose.
I see it as both.
Pickard to backup Helle while Brossoit joins Comrie & raw rookie Berdin as depth. Berdin's #s in Souix Falls weren't great so he seems a work in progress.
Even if 1 plays with Jacksonville for experience having 1 in the system feels better than an emergency trade/signing if 1 of only 4 under contract goes down.

I think back to the emergency 1 game signing of Nolan Zajak about 2 years back when most Moose D was filling in for injured Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see it as both.
Pickard to backup Helle while Brossoit joins Comrie & raw rookie Berdin as depth. Berdin's #s in Souix Falls weren't great so he seems a work in progress.
Even if 1 plays with Jacksonville for experience having 1 in the system feels better than an emergency trade/signing if 1 of only 4 under contract goes down.

I think back to the emergency 1 game signing of Nolan Zajak about 2 years back when most Moose D was filling in for injured Jets.

I don't see it as being of much importance whether we have that additional mediocre goalie prospect in the system or not - if we have added another, more developed and more promising young goalie.

I don't care if all Moose goalies are called up. I care that our goalies are injured and we are using depth goalies, but if that leaves the Moose temporarily weak in goal it is of no importance.

You can never have to much insurance but at some point it becomes superfluous. Right now the problem is that we have a backup who hasn't shown that he is good enough. I want to solve that problem.

If Helle or Pickard.Sparks go down, Brossoit is called up to the Jets. Berdin starts for the Moose. Pickup an AHL replacement level goalie somewhere. There are always plenty of those around. That's just not the point.

I don't know why you would say that Berdin's numbers were not so great in Sioux Falls. He was among the top goalies in that league for 2 years.

All that said, if TO isn't interested in Comrie, then sure keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad