TSN: Leafs actively shopping Calvin Pickard

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why give up on Comrie and throw away a pick? Pick him up on waivers or just offer the 7th. I'd rather Brossiot be traded than Comrie at this point

It's possible he doesn't make it to the Jets through waivers, if they really want the hometown guy I could see the Jets throwing a 6th rounder.

Or I guess it could go down like how the Leafs got him. Passes through waivers, which makes him more attractive to teams and they're willing to offer a late pick at that point.

But as I've been saying all offseason, both Pickard and McBackup will hit waivers if no one offers anything. The Leafs will keep Sparks.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Leafs don't have a 6th rounder this year. Maybe something can be done for your 6th round pick + something small? Or maybe it would just be the 6th rounder.
If he clears waivers and if our other goalies fail to impress. We have enough depth goalies already

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why give up on Comrie and throw away a pick? Pick him up on waivers or just offer the 7th. I'd rather Brossiot be traded than Comrie at this point

Why? Because we need a better backup is why. We get 2nd last shot at waived players. Neither Pickard nor Sparks make it to us.

I don't see it as giving up on Comrie. I just see it as replacing him with a better player. He has some value to TML because their goalie prospects are out of waiver exemption.

Brossoit isn't a trade candidate in this case. No reason for TML to want him since he requires waivers. Could just keep Brossoit and waive him when the time comes.

Reactions: Hunter368

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Not going to happen. Avs have 4 goalies signed. Varly/Grubauer in the NHL, Francouz/Martin in the AHL.

He’s a great guy and an even better team mate, but there’s just no room for him on the Avs.

I agree the Avs net situation is crowded (Joe Cannata is also under contract), but I'd take Pickard over Martin without thinking twice. Not sure how to make that happen though, so you're probably right that it's not going to happen.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pssshhh. He only needs to play in 98 games next year when we dominate the regular season and then sweep every round of the playoffs. Not sure why you think we could possibly lose two playoff games. :)

Yeah I know, but I needed to make it as realistic as possible because the real plan is to take one of the goalies back via waivers when the team who acquires them realizes they can't keep all 3. But I had to put in a couple losses in there because nobody would buy it ;)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Chances are none of the goalies who the leafs will waive will get claimed. They should just wait until the day before the season starts and waive the goalies instead of trading them

member 147413

So then we end up with literally no goalie depth. Sounds horrendous.

So you think they are going to destroy their goaltending depth? because if they trade Pickard and Waive Mcbackup who would likely be claimed after what he's done in Toronto, then you have Andersen and a completely 100% unproven backup in Sparks and NOTHING else, if Andersen gets you are COMPLETELY ****ED

Two of the three are very likely to be claimed from waivers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why? Because we need a better backup is why. We get 2nd last shot at waived players. Neither Pickard nor Sparks make it to us.

I don't see it as giving up on Comrie. I just see it as replacing him with a better player. He has some value to TML because their goalie prospects are out of waiver exemption.

Brossoit isn't a trade candidate in this case. No reason for TML to want him since he requires waivers. We could just keep Brossoit and waive him when the time comes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Two of the three are very likely to be claimed from waivers.

So the answer is yes you believe the Leafs are run by idiots who will destroy the goaltending depth because reasons

I could MAYBE see them waiving 2 goalies if they signed Steve Mason or Kari Lethenin

But it's not going to be Andersen/Sparks followed by f*** all.

I'm not even convinced it will be Andersen/Sparks

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So you think they are going to destroy their goaltending depth? because if they trade Pickard and Waive Mcbackup who would likely be claimed after what he's done in Toronto, then you have Andersen and a completely 100% unproven backup in Sparks and NOTHING else, if Andersen gets you are COMPLETELY ****ED

We have no choice...all 4 goalies require waivers. The only way to save depth would be too carry 3, which I seriously doubt happens.

If Andersen is hurt, we're screwed no matter who we keep as the backup. But Sparks has the most potential long-term value of the trio.

Pretty much every team in the league is screwed if their starter goes down except for like Nashville and maybe a couple of others.

Reactions: FishManSam

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So the answer is yes you believe the Leafs are run by idiots who will destroy the goaltending depth because reasons

I could MAYBE see them waiving 2 goalies if they signed Steve Mason or Kari Lethenin

But it's not going to be Andersen/Sparks followed by **** all.

They could trade 1 or 2 of their guys and get something in return while "destroying" their goaltending depth
or
They could waive two of the three backups and lose both of them, and have their goaltending depth destroyed with nothing to show for it.

There's a small chance no waiver claims are made and we can keep every goalie in the system, but is it worth risking?

Plus, if we trade Pickard and lose McE on waivers, it puts us in precarious depth position, sure, but we do still have K2 and McEamon in the system. K2, assuming one or two goalies leave, should get a chance to take another step forward this year with the Marlies. McEamon will either be Marlies backup or a Growlers goalie depending on how deep our depth holds.

Last edited:

member 147413

But it's not going to be Andersen/Sparks followed by **** all.

So you’re suggesting the Leafs carry three goalies on their NHL roster?

That’s a good way to have one goalie not play hockey for a whole year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So you’re suggesting the Leafs carry three goalies on their NHL roster?

That’s a good way to have one goalie not play hockey for a whole year.

It's not ideal but I'd prefer that over a tandem of Sparks and Eamon Mcadam if something happens to Andersen

Last edited:

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Why’d they even bother signing him?

Anybody that trades for him would have to play him in the NHL, correct? Can’t imagine many teams would be up for that. Maybe he gets traded if/after he clears waivers?

They signed him because they would like to keep him as an asset, even if he plays in the AHL. On a 1 way deal, most NHL teams that don't want him backing up in the NHL won't want to pay $800k for an AHL goalie. So the one way deal increases his chances of going through waivers, and the $800k in guaranteed salary goes a long way in good will for a guy who didn't play in the NHL last year. It basically tells him that he is getting paid for what he did last year, and he will either get to be the starter on a strong AHL team, to showcase himself as a UFA next year or will get a shot with an NHL team. Either way it seems Dubas values making sure he does right by the guys that did all the right things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad