TSN: Leafs actively shopping Calvin Pickard

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Washington could have interest depending on how Copley and Vanecek play in the pre-season, but I think a waiver claim would be more likely than a trade.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So then we end up with literally no goalie depth. Sounds horrendous.

Agree with you. Don't make a trade for a meaningless pick. Take your chances on the two goalies on waivers, Just three players who claimed on waivers at the end of pre season, to think the Leafs lose two goalies seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eb

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How could they possibly think the guy who won goalie of the year in the AHL at 24 could be worth anything?!

Those damn stupid Leaf fans.

Hey, that's kind of redundant. :sarcasm:

By this logic, is Valentin Zykov worth anything notable, the American League's top goal scorer at age 23?

Reactions: exporta

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Leafs are shopping the wrong goalie, if they believe Sparks will be the backup at some point this year.

Pickard will easily clear waivers, not so sure McBackup will

Reactions: exporta

member 157595

Now now, there's more than enough meh for everyone, wait your turn...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

By this logic, is Valentin Zykov worth anything notable, the American League's top goal scorer at age 23?

Zykov finished the year in the NHL with 7 points in 10 games on the top line with Sebastian Aho. He’s worth a lot to the Canes who need cheap scoring talent.

The reason Pickard isn’t worth much is because the Leafs have 3 backups that are waiver eligible. Unfortunate reality of there being 13 Forward spots and only 2 goalie spots per NHL team.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I mean, we could have picked him up off waivers, but we gave up a 6th and a prospect last year for him, so I would assume we’d get a similar return.

If they had picked him up off waivers then he would have had to clear waivers again to be sent down. Clearing waivers probably enhanced Pickard's value last season because any team trading for him would have the option to assign him to the AHL. Any team trading for him now wouldn't have that same guaranteed flexibility.

Reactions: Elephanto

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How could they possibly think the guy who won goalie of the year in the AHL at 24 be worth anything?!

Those damn stupid Leaf fans.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but 26 year old goalie Phillip Grubauer (who has actually proven he can play well in the NHL) was just traded for a 2nd rounder and as well as Caps giving up a cap dump. You're going to be upset if you think that Sparks gets anything more than a 4th rounder. Goalies who haven't played at the NHL level aren't worth much.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Sorry to burst your bubble, but 26 year old goalie Phillip Grubauer (who has actually proven he can play well in the NHL) was just traded for a 2nd rounder and as well as Caps giving up a cap dump. You're going to be upset if you think that Sparks gets anything more than a 4th rounder. Goalies who haven't played at the NHL level aren't worth much.

I didn't say he was worth a lot. His comment though is just clear nonsense.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I didn't say he was worth a lot. His comment though is just clear nonsense.
That's fair enough, I'm sure a team struggling for goaltending would give something up for his potential, just not much.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is anyone actually looking for a backup right now? Would think most teams will stick with what they got right now. Unless they are trading some guy that they plan on waiving.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
If they had picked him up off waivers then he would have had to clear waivers again to be sent down. Clearing waivers probably enhanced Pickard's value last season because any team trading for him would have the option to assign him to the AHL. Any team trading for him now wouldn't have that same guaranteed flexibility.

True, very good point, forgot about that.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Why’d they even bother signing him?

Anybody that trades for him would have to play him in the NHL, correct? Can’t imagine many teams would be up for that. Maybe he gets traded if/after he clears waivers?
No. The only time a player has to play in the NHL is if they are claimed on waivers after preseason starts. Then they must be given a spot on the team. That prevents teams from grabbing a future player for free & stashing him in the minors.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If he clears waivers he can then be traded for a late pick and assigned to the new teams AHL team

If he cleared waivers I'm keeping him with the Marlies as depth. The only reason I'd want to trade him is because we'll probably lose him for nothing if we don't.

Ummm... yes? Zykov is probably worth a 2nd at worst. KInd of like how a 23 year old Johnsson who just dominated the AHL playoffs is worth a little bit. Sparks isn't worth that much as those 2, maybe a 5th or so, but the story doesn't go as soon as you turn 23/24 in the AHL you're a bust worth nothing. That's not how it works. Using Zykov is a terrible example to choose, it makes your argument worse as he's worth more than Sparks.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
No. The only time a player has to play in the NHL is if they are claimed on waivers after preseason starts. Then they must be given a spot on the team. That prevents teams from grabbing a future player for free & stashing him in the minors.
You're both right for the same reasons (and both wrong for the same reasons).

Whether Pickard is traded or Pickard is claimed, his new team does not have to play him in the NHL. They can immediately assign him to the AHL, however he would need to clear waivers and they would risk losing their newly acquired player.

This, in effect, makes it so that his new team would keep him in the NHL, if they don't want to risk losing him.

"The only time a player has to play in the NHL is if they are claimed on waivers after preseason starts" is the same logic as "Anybody that trades for him would have to play him in the NHL", but there is no actual rule saying either thing.

Reactions: I am I

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Why? Because we need a better backup is why. We get 2nd last shot at waived players. Neither Pickard nor Sparks make it to us.

I don't see it as giving up on Comrie. I just see it as replacing him with a better player. He has some value to TML because their goalie prospects are out of waiver exemption.

Brossoit isn't a trade candidate in this case. No reason for TML to want him since he requires waivers. Could just keep Brossoit and waive him when the time comes.
So we could avoid the waiver issue by simply offering a 6th before 1 of the 2 hits waivers. & not all of the 29 teams ahead on the waiver list option have need of a backup they'd have to keep on the roster or lose to waivers themselves.
With only 2 goalies signed for the Moose trading Comrie leaves zero depth in case a goalie goes down on either team.
Jets have replacements on the Moose evertwhere but in net. Adding Pickard or Sparks & sending down Brossoit who is most likely to clear adds a cushion.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad