TSN: Leafs actively shopping Calvin Pickard

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Huh? I was talking about Pickard's two seasons prior to 16-17.

Pickard wasn't bad those 2 years but 2016/17 he wasn't worse. Pickard is not a starter so why use him as a starter in 2016/17. There was nothing to win for COL that season, instead of developing him further they run him down. Played him up to 8 consecutive games. Some real starter don't play such workloads.

TOR is on a dead end street with Andersen because of egos.
In 2016/17 Andersen's first year with the Leafs Enroth was pushed out after his first 4 starts, guess what they did with Andersen after his first 4 bad games October 25.
Last season Andersen played many games (66) but not very good even he never played b2b or when his team played b2b what most other goalies do and then he was a big part they lost the playoffs. Andersen is not a real starter who plays better when playing many games. Why exhaust him in the regular season and then he folds in the playoffs.
Now they want to trade Pickard who shouldn't play 66 games either but could be better than Andersen in 41 games.
TOR should trade Andersen but of course they won't.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
To fair... Varlamov had a .898 the season Pickard had .904

Like I said, the Avs were in a meltdown and Pickard posted decent numbers (better then Varlamov). On the 36 games he played prior to the meltdown year, he had very decent .922+, again better then Varlamov. Of course, Varlamov probably played harder teams I don't know, but to dismiss Pickard like everyone is doing is stunning. Avs fans wanted to keep Pickard because he was playing better, was cheaper, was less injured and was younger.

I think Pickard is just in the wrong team (TOR) at the wrong time and a new team would do him good.

People believe he's a backup... because he is?

The reality of the situation is that nobody wanted to pay even a late round pick last year before Vegas waived him and he has done nothing to improve his stock. Mind you he hasn't really been given a chance in Toronto, but any team acquiring Pickard it's solely as a backup, not a starter.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I like Pickard. Thing is guy was a starter on Colorado at the exact wrong time but he still put up very respectable numbers considering what he had in front of him.

Toronto stashed him since he was a free asset and you can't really trust McBackup which isn't the best for his career.

Personally I see a guy that someone really should take a flyer on. At worst he's a 30 game backup that puts up good numbers in the NHL. At best he's a decent #1 starter.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pickard wasn't bad those 2 years but 2016/17 he wasn't worse. Pickard is not a starter so why use him as a starter in 2016/17. There was nothing to win for COL that season, instead of developing him further they run him down. Played him up to 8 consecutive games. Some real starter don't play such workloads.

TOR is on a dead end street with Andersen because of egos.
In 2016/17 Andersen's first year with the Leafs Enroth was pushed out after his first 4 starts, guess what they did with Andersen after his first 4 bad games October 25.
Last season Andersen played many games (66) but not very good even he never played b2b or when his team played b2b what most other goalies do and then he was a big part they lost the playoffs. Andersen is not a real starter who plays better when playing many games. Why exhaust him in the regular season and then he folds in the playoffs.
Now they want to trade Pickard who shouldn't play 66 games either but could be better than Andersen in 41 games.
TOR should trade Andersen but of course they won't.

What kind of non-sense is this? I do not even know where to start.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think eventually some team would offer a 5th for him to be a backup, similar to what Wedgewood got from Arizona. Pickard has proven he can be a very strong NHL backup, and continued that in the AHL as well. There are some teams with iffy backups that may decide a 5th (and maybe tossing us their incumbent backup or an AHL goalie to even out contracts) is worth the potential upgrade, and by then I'd expect guys like Lehtonen, Pavelec and Mason to be in Europe somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad