Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Kind of nuts that he leads all of juniors in scoring despite most of them having played 33% more games than he has.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Does he have AHL eligibility next year or stritctly OHL/NHL? I think a year in the AHL could do wonders for him before bringing him up into the NHL.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Can’t wait for this kid..Hopefully he’s ready next season. He may be small but I don’t think he’s fragile. He’s a bulldog, shouldn’t have an issue in the show. Props to Dubas for great drafting last year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Such a stupid rule

got to pander to junior hockey man. In a business as big as the nhl bowing down to a junior league is crazy.

Who gives a shit about their profit making, if the ahl would be best for the player then they should be able to do it. They are the ones who are going to pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into developing the player they should decide where he goes. 90% of players would end up back in chl still anyway

Reactions: supermann_98

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
The Nylander/Tavares line has quite a bit of goal scoring ability as well so it's a tough call where he'd slot in long term. On one hand I don't like the idea of having two shoot first players on the same line, but on the other hand it could make the line even deadlier. Right now Matthews and Marner for the most part just ignore Hyman and let him do his own thing. It's effective, but it's predictable because everybody in the building knows Marner is passing to Matthews, not Hyman. Over the last year you can see how teams have cheated more and more towards Matthews to take away his shot any opportunity they get. But you replace Hyman with another threat on that line and Marner would have a field day with setup options.

Hyman has 19 goals in 43 games, that's almost a 40 goal pace ...... and almost all of these goals come at 5v5.

Hyman is a threat .... I don't know what game we both are watching

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Hyman has 19 goals in 43 games, that's almost a 40 goal pace ...... and almost all of these goals come at 5v5.

Hyman is a threat .... I don't know what game we both are watching

For sure Hyman is having a fantastic year. I love the type of player he is and his offense has improved immensely. But let's not kid ourselves.....nobody considers Hyman a threat if Matthews, Marner and Hyman are coming down the ice on a 3 on 2. Marner is looking for Matthews 90% of the time and only feeding Hyman if Matthews isn't open.

Most of Hyman's goals are dirty goals from in front of the net or tip ins. Nothing wrong with that because we lack that element, but you can be sure the other team doesn't spend a second discussing how to contain him in their game plan.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
got to pander to junior hockey man. In a business as big as the nhl bowing down to a junior league is crazy.

Who gives a shit about their profit making, if the ahl would be best for the player then they should be able to do it. They are the ones who are going to pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into developing the player they should decide where he goes. 90% of players would end up back in chl still anyway

pretty sure the CHL produces more players for the NHL then any other league, and if it folded it would directly affect the quality of the NHL product. so yes there financial well being is important to the NHL.

Reactions: 7even

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He could potentially be a more skilled Gallagher which would be an amazing add.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
pretty sure the CHL produces more players for the NHL then any other league, and if it folded it would directly affect the quality of the NHL product. so yes there financial well being is important to the NHL.

Yeah if it folded all those talented prospects will just give up hockey right?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's 60 teams, in leagues that have been around for decades. You think the NHL should wipe it out because of a few 19 year olds that could handle the AHL instead?

No I don’t you made my point. Some 19 year olds leaving wouldn’t break it. I didn’t say the nhl should break the ohl I said they shouldn’t pander to it forcing their prospects to play in a league they have outgrown. And as I said 90% of prospects would end up going back anyway

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No I don’t you made my point. Some 19 year olds leaving wouldn’t break it. I didn’t say the nhl should break the ohl I said they shouldn’t pander to it forcing their prospects to play in a league they have outgrown. And as I said 90% of prospects would end up going back anyway

The option is to let those better players go overseas.

How does that help the CHL? It doesn't.

I think there should be exception status for the AHL, just like there is for CHL, but I'd go with each NHL team getting 1 exception option.

So if the CHL folded over 31 players, at most, it isn't viable except for the fact it's money is made on the backs of the kids.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The option is to let those better players go overseas.

How does that help the CHL? It doesn't.

I think there should be exception status for the AHL, just like there is for CHL, but I'd go with each NHL team getting 1 exception option.

So if the CHL folded over 31 players, at most, it isn't viable except for the fact it's money is made on the backs of the kids.

agreed. It won’t fold so nhl tell them this is what it is now, if we think a players development is more suited to ahl we will do it. It wouldn’t be all 19 year olds, it may not even be Robertson, it’s just a stupid thing for a billion dollar league to be forced to do with it’s drafted prospects

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well, they would end up playing in lesser leagues, which I think is the problem you had with the system in the first place.

would they? Or would all those player lift the quality of the league they then play in?

I just don’t see the issue. The ohl produces talent losing its nhl drafted players means those players won’t develop anymore?

If you go back in time you get to a chicken egg situation how did the nhl draft players from the ohl if there were no drafted nhl players in the ohl?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
what would be the point of a player scoring 60 goals in a league going back to that league?

This isn't NHL Be A Pro where the computer clicks "sort by" and you get promoted because you're at the top of a list, otherwise our very own Justin Brazeau wouldn't be in the ECHL. Marner spent his D+1 year explicitly focusing on his game without the puck, getting reps in at center, and learning how to PK, to his and the Leafs benefit, and he was a much better junior player than Robertson is. Robertson is supremely talented but he's not a perfect player at a very physically immature 18 years of age.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This isn't NHL Be A Pro where the computer clicks "sort by" and you get promoted because you're at the top of a list, otherwise our very own Justin Brazeau wouldn't be in the ECHL. Marner spent his D+1 year explicitly focusing on his game without the puck, getting reps in at center, and learning how to PK, to his and the Leafs benefit, and he was a much better junior player than Robertson is. Robertson is supremely talented but he's not a perfect player at a very physically immature 18 years of age.

as I’ve said at least twice now I’m not even particularly talking about Robertson. It’s just a stupid thing they are FORCED to do if they want to send a 19 year old back they can but it shouldn’t have to be forced that is so beyond stupid. As I’ve also said 90% of players would still go back, probably even Robertson, it’s just crazy they signed and agreement forcing them too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad