Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Would be awesome if this guy is able to play at the next level early in his career, allowing Toronto to shift Hyman to the Tavares line (they have chemistry) and move Mikeyhev to the this line with Engvall, allowing 2 of Johnsson, Kapanen and Kerfoot to traded to help address a broken defense core.

Robertson / Matthews / Marner
Hyman / Tavares / Nylander
Mikheyev / Engvall / Kapanen
Clifford / Spezza / Timashov / Gauthier

That would be a fun group, especially because it gives you the cap space to extend Muzzin and add one high end, or two quality middle end defensive pieces that you badly need to shore up your core.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Would be awesome if this guy is able to play at the next level early in his career, allowing Toronto to shift Hyman to the Tavares line (they have chemistry) and move Mikeyhev to the this line with Engvall, allowing 2 of Johnsson, Kapanen and Kerfoot to traded to help address a broken defense core.

I doubt he is NHL ready for a few more years. Great player, but he does play on an unreal line in a weaker conference. I think the jump up will take some time for him to adjust to.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I doubt he is NHL ready for a few more years. Great player, but he does play on an unreal line in a weaker conference. I think the jump up will take some time for him to adjust to.

In the 12 games he has played against Ottawa (who's only 2 losses in the past 30 games are against the Petes) and the big 4 in the West (Kit,Ldn,Sag,Flint) he has 10 goals, and 22 points.

Still pretty impressive numbers against tougher competition.

I think he would be hard pressed to make the team next season, but if he keeps improving at the rate he has since we drafted him, he might have a shot.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Everybody knows Robertson drives that line. None of SDA or Thomas/Kirk are on his level.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would say his closest playstyle is to Marchand but he isn't a POS. Gritty, good hands, good shot, surprisingly good playmaker. Good edges but not a super fast skater.

I see him more as a Tyler Johnson type of player. Has some attitude but that's not really hist game.
Relies a lot on his hustle

I'll take that anyday

Reactions: Eric bungay

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You're selling Matthews' playmaking ability a little short there lmao

Not in the least... but I'm just not sure you are maximizing your lines, with two guys who can score goals like that on the same line.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Not in the least... but I'm just not sure you are maximizing your lines, with two guys who can score goals like that on the same line.

The Nylander/Tavares line has quite a bit of goal scoring ability as well so it's a tough call where he'd slot in long term. On one hand I don't like the idea of having two shoot first players on the same line, but on the other hand it could make the line even deadlier. Right now Matthews and Marner for the most part just ignore Hyman and let him do his own thing. It's effective, but it's predictable because everybody in the building knows Marner is passing to Matthews, not Hyman. Over the last year you can see how teams have cheated more and more towards Matthews to take away his shot any opportunity they get. But you replace Hyman with another threat on that line and Marner would have a field day with setup options.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'd rather have Hyman on the 2nd line with Tavares with Nylander as the playmaking winger.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Yup. The Bruins have it all wrong.

Pastrnak is the shooter, Marchand is an all-around mucker, great playmaker and Bergeron is the Selke level two way C.

This line being productive and stacked is a weird counter to the argument given they all have very wide skill sets that mesh extremely well together.

Reactions: 7even

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Another way of looking at it, assuming Robertson ends up that good, is that it allows our best playmaker 2 outlets for a good chance at a goal.

Reactions: Eric bungay

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Watched the Generals-Petes game last week.

Petes stunk the place out but I couldn’t take my eyes off Robertson. The kid was nonstop even with his team getting trounced.

The kids compete level is top notch and he has the skill to match.

If he can add some muscle he is going to be a handful sooner than later.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Another way of looking at it, assuming Robertson ends up that good, is that it allows our best playmaker 2 outlets for a good chance at a goal.

They're both huge volume shooters, and shots can frequently be the end of possession. Not that they couldn't work together, just, would that be maximizing what you can get from them.

Anyways, the last time I was this premature I had to buy new pants.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Trade AJ and one of Kapanen or Kerfoot for defensive help. Robertson, Engvall and Miky step in quite easily.

Robertson - Matthews - Marner
Miky - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Spezza - Kapanen

That top 9 is disgusting. If possible packing the above guys with picks/prospects for Manson or a guy like him?

Rielly - Manson/guy like him
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Pastrnak is the shooter, Marchand is an all-around mucker, great playmaker and Bergeron is the Selke level two way C.

This line being productive and stacked is a weird counter to the argument given they all have very wide skill sets that mesh extremely well together.

Uhhh..
“I'm not sure you really want two pure goal scorers on the same line...”. After Pastranak who are the best pure goal scorers on the Bruins after him? Both stats and eye test. You did a great job of breaking down Marchand and Bergeron‘s roles on that line. But you do realize you can be all of those things intangibly and also the teams second and third best pure goal scorers.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Uhhh..
“I'm not sure you really want two pure goal scorers on the same line...”. After Pastranak who are the best pure goal scorers on the Bruins after him? Both stats and eye test. You did a great job of breaking down Marchand and Bergeron‘s roles on that line. But you do realize you can be all of those things intangibly and also the teams second and third best pure goal scorers.

Im not disagreeing with you regarding the line chemistry and roles, but Bergeron and Marchand are not at all pure goalscorers. They score goals, but you can't call them pure goal scorers when they have 1.5 to 2x as many assists as goals.

I think it is just a terminology issue here between you and tbe other poster, but just my 2 cents.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
You can tell when a prospect has it or not. There’s a good reason so many are hyping this kid. We’re usually cautiously optimistic but this kid has shown he’s got a very bright future. I’ll pump the breaks though so not to offend you.

Kerfoot can’t finish to save his life.

Also, you won’t see a raving review from me on a guy like Korshkov, for good reason.
Lmfao usually cautiously optimistic? We regularly pencil 4th rounders in to top 6 roles here.

Reactions: pulfordfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad