Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
would they? Or would all those player lift the quality of the league they then play in?

I just don’t see the issue. The ohl produces talent losing its nhl drafted players means those players won’t develop anymore?

If you go back in time you get to a chicken egg situation how did the nhl draft players from the ohl if there were no drafted nhl players in the ohl?

The OHL represents a centralized development system with the best quality infrastructure and support system available in the region. It's a concentration of competency, for both players and staff. If the OHL disappeared tomorrow you would have a bunch of over qualified prospects playing shinny across whatever arbitrary number of lesser leagues take over that niche. You would amplify the problem you're complaining about to a factor of 10.

EDIT: this is also a false dilemma. It's not obvious what would happen if the NHL rescinded their transfer agreement, but I'm not confident the entire OHL would fold as a result. Still, most junior teams are only marginally profitable, so I have to wonder where that critical mass point is.

Last edited:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
would they? Or would all those player lift the quality of the league they then play in?

I just don’t see the issue. The ohl produces talent losing its nhl drafted players means those players won’t develop anymore?

If you go back in time you get to a chicken egg situation how did the nhl draft players from the ohl if there were no drafted nhl players in the ohl?

I can't speak about the BCHL of AJHL, but I can say prospects in Ontario would suffer if they were forced to play in Jr. A. There is absolutely no comparison between majority of Jr. A teams, and CHL teams. It's comparable to NHL vs. AHL. Any Joe Blow with a bit of $$ can own a Jr. A/B/C team. Half the time the teams are sold to guys that kids aren't good enough to play, so they can put their kid on the team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The OHL represents a centralized development system with the best quality infrastructure and support system available in the region. It's a concentration of competency, for both players and staff. If the OHL disappeared tomorrow you would have a bunch of over qualified prospects playing shinny across whatever arbitrary number of lesser leagues take over that niche. You would amplify the problem you're complaining about to a factor of 10.

ok you want to miss the point every time or is that it?.

why would the ohl go anywhere if SOME 19 year olds left? A decades old institution that can have players 16-20 years old is going to disappear because some 19 years olds leave earlier than 20? Come on. So make it 16-22 year olds then who cares. The chl would not fold you know it and yet keep making every post as if it had folded

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can't speak about the BCHL of AJHL, but I can say prospects in Ontario would suffer if they were forced to play in Jr. A. There is absolutely no comparison between majority of Jr. A teams, and CHL teams. It's comparable to NHL vs. AHL. Any Joe Blow with a bit of $$ can own a Jr. A/B/C team. Have the time the teams are sold to guys that kids aren't good enough to play, so they can put their kid on the team.

ok this is the last time I’m going to post on this (sounds like I’m being rude, I’m not I Keep answering the same questions)

the ohl wouldn’t go anywhere is what I’m saying, I’m saying it would lose SOME 19 year olds earlier than they would like but as an nhl team who cares about them. honestly your goal is the develop players and win a cup if you think your 19 year old would be better suited to the ahl it should be the teams decision. The ohl will still have 16-18 year olds plus the majority of player teams send back anyway and then I drafted 19/20 year olds too.

Players don’t make it to being drafted because they play against some 19 year olds already drafted they’d still be just as talented as they naturally are

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
ok this is the last time I’m going to post on this (sounds like I’m being rude, I’m not I Keep answering the same questions)

the ohl wouldn’t go anywhere is what I’m saying, I’m saying it would lose SOME 19 year olds earlier than they would like but as an nhl team who cares about them. honestly your goal is the develop players and win a cup if you think your 19 year old would be better suited to the ahl it should be the teams decision. The ohl will still have 16-18 year olds plus the majority of player teams send back anyway and then I drafted 19/20 year olds too.

Players don’t make it to being drafted because they play against some 19 year olds already drafted they’d still be just as talented as they naturally are

You did mention a couple of times the prospects would play elsewhere if needed and be fine, which could be the case eventually, but they'd definitely suffer in the short-term.

I'd be fine with a one per team exception, but the rules in place make sense. How would a team remain competitive if they had no control over several of their drafted players. It's one thing for the Leafs to cripple the marlies, they own the team, but a CHL franchise sees no benefit from losing players, and wouldn't easily be able to replace several players if they all got called up to AHL teams after trade deadline passed for instance.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
what would be the point of a player scoring 60 goals in a league going back to that league?

Maybe to round out his game? Tavares scores 72 goals as a 16 year old and came back the following year and even though he only pitted 40, his assist total skyrocketed. Most people attribute that season to being huge in his development

Reactions: TheScandal89

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This isn't NHL Be A Pro where the computer clicks "sort by" and you get promoted because you're at the top of a list, otherwise our very own Justin Brazeau wouldn't be in the ECHL. Marner spent his D+1 year explicitly focusing on his game without the puck, getting reps in at center, and learning how to PK, to his and the Leafs benefit, and he was a much better junior player than Robertson is. Robertson is supremely talented but he's not a perfect player at a very physically immature 18 years of age.

Brazeau would have gone back to junior.

Age Limit for AHL, 18 years old September 15.

NCAA players can go to the AHL.
Players drafted out of Europe can go to the AHL.

How many 18 year old players typically play in the AHL each year?
How many 19 year old players typically play in the AHL each year?

I'm curious, more teenagers in NHL or AHL?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Maybe to round out his game? Tavares scores 72 goals as a 16 year old and came back the following year and even though he only pitted 40, his assist total skyrocketed. Most people attribute that season to being huge in his development

Also another year to grow into his body and get stronger against people around his own age instead of adults. Although where ever SDA goes, I wouldn't mind him following. Could be the base of a good 3rd line in a few years.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
got to pander to junior hockey man. In a business as big as the nhl bowing down to a junior league is crazy.

Who gives a shit about their profit making, if the ahl would be best for the player then they should be able to do it. They are the ones who are going to pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into developing the player they should decide where he goes. 90% of players would end up back in chl still anyway
I like the idea of giving each NHL team one “exceptional” tag and pluck a CHLer out for their AHL team. Lots of kids would better benefit themselves playing in a professional league against men

Reactions: Walshy7

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

but this probably isn't true because why would an NHL franchise leave there prospects on teams they don't control? if the agreement to force these players to play NHL or CHL was gone those prospects would probably be brought up to the AHL and alot would go to ECHL teams aswell. there would be a very real situation where every drafted player does not return to the CHL, that would almost take away any of the CHL biggest names. and certainly impact the leagues quality of hockey and the bottom line aswell.

also if the last line is true then Robertson can improve his game just as much in the CHL as the AHL right because playing against better compitition doesn't matter right?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I can't speak about the BCHL of AJHL, but I can say prospects in Ontario would suffer if they were forced to play in Jr. A. There is absolutely no comparison between majority of Jr. A teams, and CHL teams. It's comparable to NHL vs. AHL. Any Joe Blow with a bit of $$ can own a Jr. A/B/C team. Half the time the teams are sold to guys that kids aren't good enough to play, so they can put their kid on the team.
As a non-parent coach who started coaching right after being done hockey/university, the 11 years I put in AAA hockey prove this point 100 percent. I have seen Jr. A teams purchased for kids who are mid level AA players. What a message to send. I don't remember it being as prevalent when I was playing minor hockey and junior. So sad for our game and the development of players. Worst part is.. the parents get worse every year with the entitlement.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

could you clarify these remarks?

:laugh:

Reactions: Walshy7

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Why does this discussion happen every time one of our prospects does well? Get over it. He has room to learn and grow if he goes back another year. He’s scoring just fine, sure, but he still has a ways to go.

Reactions: 7even and Barilko14

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
neither is Robertson
He is bluechip compared to the guys you listed though, along with only Sandin. The rest are pretty average. We haven’t had as much luck drafting as you’re trying to portray for what was considered a legitimate rebuild.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why does this discussion happen every time one of our prospects does well? Get over it. He has room to learn and grow if he goes back another year. He’s scoring just fine, sure, but he still has a ways to go.

And the Leafs could just keep him in the NHL anyway.

There were 18 and 19 year olds in the NHL this year, and not all of them were big players.

Reactions: kb and stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad