Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Honestly it's not even so much about production at this level but the projection to an NHL talent.

I see very good qualities here: smart, determined, great hands, solid edgework and an absolute bomb of a shot. Only thing is that his straight ahead speed is not outstanding and of course size. Not much to dislike here. Likely to transition well.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The other thing I've noticed with Robertson in limited viewings is that he seems to generate a lot himself. It might seem obvious given his production, but I think a lot of good goal scorers at every level are dependent on elite playmakers to find them in high danger spots on the ice. Seems like Robertson puts himself in those positions and doesn't rely on his teammates to find him for tap ins in front. Maybe someone who's seen him more can provide some insight on this, but that's my take.

Reactions: stickty111

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He made the draft by 4 days, but Jack Quinn missed it by 4 days.

Coincidentally, they're tied for the goal scoring lead in OHL. Quinn has played 10 more games.

Just rehashing but nice comments.
Nicholas Robertson at eliteprospects.com
He’s extremely hard on the forecheck, relentless in puck pursuit, and a big-time trash talker, EPrinkside.com 2019
He is an offensive dynamo, with a very high level of individual skill. His feet are quick and constantly in motion, and his hands can keep, McKeen's Hockey 2019
A shifty player whose puck skills and smarts make up for his smaller frame, Future Considerations 2019

Leafs are going to need some ELC in the line-up.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Nick's on pace to more than double his 27 goals from last year in the same amount of games. Which is just kind of funny. I thought he was just starting out hot, but 38g in 34 games, it's getting ridiculous.

Got ourselves a DeBrincat / Gallagher hybrid. Wish they could bring him up already. Would do so much better on Tavares wing than Kerfoot.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Honestly it's not even so much about production at this level but the projection to an NHL talent.

I see very good qualities here: smart, determined, great hands, solid edgework and an absolute bomb of a shot. Only thing is that his straight ahead speed is not outstanding and of course size. Not much to dislike here. Likely to transition well.

Undersized but possesses plenty of bite. Think Marchand.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Got ourselves a DeBrincat / Gallagher hybrid. Wish they could bring him up already. Would do so much better on Tavares wing than Kerfoot.

Comments like these to me seem borderline insane. The hope is that one day Robertson will be much better than Kerfoot. But right now? I'm sure if you threw Kerfoot down on the Petes right now he would be tearing up the OHL far more than Robertson is...

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
If he is anything close to Marchand I will take it in a heartbeat. We need some grit and feistiness in the line up.

He’s an energizer bunny with a lethal shot who loves to trash talk. Not so sure how physical he is from game to game. Anyone who watches him a lot care to chime in? Does he lay the body much or is he difficult to play against? I know he’s relentless on puck pursuit which is always good.

He reminds me of Trevor Moore on adderall. A way better shot, more skilled in every way and even more intense puck pursuit. Grittier and more of an edge too. I think it made moving Moore easier too. Undersized but a lot of bite and energy. Oozes character too.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Comments like these to me seem borderline insane. The hope is that one day Robertson will be much better than Kerfoot. But right now? I'm sure if you threw Kerfoot down on the Petes right now he would be tearing up the OHL far more than Robertson is...

You can tell when a prospect has it or not. There’s a good reason so many are hyping this kid. We’re usually cautiously optimistic but this kid has shown he’s got a very bright future. I’ll pump the breaks though so not to offend you.

Kerfoot can’t finish to save his life.

Also, you won’t see a raving review from me on a guy like Korshkov, for good reason.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

With regards to scoring, hmmmm, but overall impact and ability to control the game, I agree with you 100%.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

You have no way of knowing this... at the very least, it’s not an insane comment.

Robertson’s NHLe is 46 points on an 82 game season... which is higher than Kerfoot’s career high...

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
You can tell when a prospect has it or not. There’s a good reason so many are hyping this kid. We’re usually cautiously optimistic but this kid has shown he’s got a very bright future. I’ll pump the breaks though so not to offend you.

Kerfoot can’t finish to save his life.

Also, you won’t see a raving review from me on a guy like Korshkov, for good reason.

I don't want to take this too far off-topic, but finish is about the only skill I've seen Kerfoot display.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
I don't want to take this too far off-topic, but finish is about the only skill I've seen Kerfoot display.

What? The dude is known for play making and possession. He likes to aim for the crest a lot. 8 goals in 49 games isn’t likely to get you known for finishing ability but here we are. Plus half those goals were in the first 11 games...

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Maybe you guys don't know the gap between OHL and NHL level of play? Robertson is a tremendous prospect and seems to have a lot of potential. But...look at Jack Hughes in the NHL right now. How do you think Jack Hughes would be doing in the OHL right now? I have no doubt that if Kerfoot was in the OHL right this moment, he would be picking corners left and right.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nicholas Robertson at eliteprospects.com

He’s extremely hard on the forecheck, relentless in puck pursuit, and a big-time trash talker, EPrinkside.com 2019

He is an offensive dynamo, with a very high level of individual skill. His feet are quick and constantly in motion, and his hands can keep , McKeen's Hockey 2019

A shifty player whose puck skills and smarts make up for his smaller frame, Future Considerations 2019

..and he plays a chippy dirtbagish game ... FINALLY a Marchand to call our own .... :heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: Myopic

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Maybe you guys don't know the gap between OHL and NHL level of play? Robertson is a tremendous prospect and seems to have a lot of potential. But...look at Jack Hughes in the NHL right now. How do you think Jack Hughes would be doing in the OHL right now? I have no doubt that if Kerfoot was in the OHL right this moment, he would be picking corners left and right.

I am initially skeptical about all our prospects until they prove they have that x-factor. There’s a reason Robertson being a 2nd rounder of last draft was playing on the top line for team USA in the wjc and was arguably their best forward.

We’re excited for good reason but of course he has to prove it. Sure he could be a bust but with the mix of qualities he possesses and how he’s performed to date I have a very hard time not seeing him make the big leagues and develop into a very good player down the line.

You notice him more than most players (for mostly positive reasons) wherever he plays.
Guess he gets even more attention because he has all the stuff that our roster lacks, other than size but he more than makes up for that in other in other ways.

Came across this, some might like to read (from 13 days ago):
Tenacity, scoring talents have Robertson in line for spot with Leafs one day

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Roberston was born 4 days later, is he a top 5 or 10 pick in 2020? Kinda has to be with those numbers.

Perfetti, and Rossi are both outpacing him in PPG, Rossi by a lot. Granted goals have slightly more value, and Robertson is miles away the best in the OHL at the moment. I think he could fall out of the top 10. Jack Quinn isn't really being mentioned for top 10, and while Robertson is pretty clearly better Quinn was 19 on Bob's list, so maybe just inside the top 15 for Robertson?

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
What? The dude is known for play making and possession. He likes to aim for the crest a lot. 8 goals in 49 games isn’t likely to get you known for finishing ability but here we are. Plus half those goals were in the first 11 games...

I haven't seen much from him by way of possession or playmaking. In fact, the play usually dies on his stick. However, I've noticed him score almost all his goals with a sizzling one-timer from the slot. Problem is, he can't create his own offence at all. That's my perspective, anyway.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If he is anything close to Marchand I will take it in a heartbeat. We need some grit and feistiness in the line up.

I would say his closest playstyle is to Marchand but he isn't a POS. Gritty, good hands, good shot, surprisingly good playmaker. Good edges but not a super fast skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->