Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
People dramatically overstate the impact of players repeating levels. If Marner can go back at 18 after putting up 2ppg the previous year and improve as a player, then Nick Robertson isn't going to be above that level. If you are too good for the OHL at 19, you are good enough to be a top 9 NHL player. It's all about the mind-set you take. If you want to go down to improve certain weaknesses they are easier to improve and try out against lesser comp. So many guys get rushed to higher levels and then become completely risk-averse as they lose confidence.

Especially for smaller guys. There is no downside to letting a smaller player fill out before you ask them to do the same things with pros they are doing against teenagers. The AHL might be interesting if it were available and he was truly ready but the Leafs more than most clubs have the luxury of time with a young scoring winger.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Watched Robertson tonight vs the Generals. The guy looks pretty damn solid. Scored a goal. He has a nice shot and he goes to the dirty areas.

Although the Pete's overall played an absolute **** game. The starting goalie for the Pete's was brutal tonight... Still good to see some Leafs prospects.

I know it's a Robertson thread... but I have to add SDA for me was easily the most noticeable on either team even in a 7-2 loss.

SDA looked great. Very shifty, nice passes, took hits really well, and fought through it. He looks pretty quick too.

I was a Petes fan in Oshawas barn tonight ... so yeah... I was pretty quiet.

This could have been me posting....

Was at this game as well and despite a pitiful showing the Pete’s, I couldn’t take my eyes off Robertson or SDA.

Those guys were amazing to watch, and Robertson’s goal was filthy nice.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This could have been me posting....

Was at this game as well and despite a pitiful showing the Pete’s, I couldn’t take my eyes off Robertson or SDA.

Those guys were amazing to watch, and Robertson’s goal was filthy nice.

Lol.. nice.

Yeah I think we have a couple guys that have real chances amof getting games with the big club one day.

Very least AHL obviously.

Mar 12, 2009
Only one month and ten days older than Alexis Lafreniere. Just sayin...

Yeah he’s going to be good.
It’s been funny seeing a very obvious main board poster try to tear Robertson down for his skating and implying he is the second coming of Jeremy Bracco (I do think Bracco will be successful in the nhl eventually though).
Luckily I've seen both a lot so I got to squash that notion for him. It was funny because in the same post he criticized people who "only look at hockey db", the only points he used to form the basis of his comparison (height, point totals) are the data points you get exclusively from browsing hockey db rather than watching them play.
I like to poke fun at him, but maybe that's in poor taste because as time goes on it becomes more clear that there might be a psychological issue at play.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I was initially concerned due to the height and skating concerns but I am sure any skating issues can be improved with Barb. If height is the only issue, whatever, he isn't a pansy and will get stronger as he gets older.

Only other concern I had was maybe his vision but it looked fine at the WJC, maybe with the Petes he just knows he is the primary shooting option.

So far, happy to be proven wrong.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wanted Leason when we were at the podium. One thing this pick has solidified for me, when they take a player that I didn't think a lot of in the future, it's my own judgement that I will doubt.

Leason looked great, right up until the WJC last year... and then had a drop off that was concerning. Up until the WJC, I would have loved to have drafted him as well. 9 points in the AHL this year... one goal and 8 assists....

I didn't even know anything about Robertson when we drafted him... he's had an absolutely fantastic D+1 year. Hopefully we've found a gem with him.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The snarl is a nice touch. I feel like he will be a pesky NHL player.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Leason looked great, right up until the WJC last year... and then had a drop off that was concerning. Up until the WJC, I would have loved to have drafted him as well. 9 points in the AHL this year... one goal and 8 assists....

I didn't even know anything about Robertson when we drafted him... he's had an absolutely fantastic D+1 year. Hopefully we've found a gem with him.
I was in the same boat with Robertson, so if that happens again I am going to chalk it up to the Leafs being a hell of a lot better informed than me and than most of the teams in the league by virtue of all that money Dubas is spending on scouting and analytics.

I guess Robertson could hit a wall as well, but assuming that he keeps this pace up for a full season it would be a positive indicator the likes of which has a near perfect translation to being an impact NHL'er. If he's DeBrincat with a more rounded game and better skating, jebus that's a good get with a mid 2nd rounder even without knowing his NHL outcome

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
How early could we see him in the NHL? I assume next year is too early, and he won't be eglible for the AHL until September 2021? I could see going to Europe or the NCAA in his future.

In the future a killer lineup IMO

Robertson - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
How early could we see him in the NHL? I assume next year is too early, and he won't be eglible for the AHL until September 2021? I could see going to Europe or the NCAA in his future.

He'll most likely be with the Leafs next year. OHL isn't going to do him any good
As for NCAA, he would already been there by now

He'll most likely take on the role of Tima/ Moore has. Neither of them been impressive

If Kapanen / Jhonsson is traded, that will create any opening

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Can't go to the NCAA as he's played in the CHL and NCAA counts that as pro. There's an off chance he could make the NHL. If not he'll likely be back in the OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad