Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I just hope he doesn't go back go juniors. He can try half as hard and his shot will still make him a goalscoring threat. I'd want to see him somewhere with less games against professional competition so he can figure out what he can get away with and how slippery he needs to get to stay alive. Shame we can't send him to the AHL.
People dramatically overstate the impact of players repeating levels. If Marner can go back at 18 after putting up 2ppg the previous year and improve as a player, then Nick Robertson isn't going to be above that level. If you are too good for the OHL at 19, you are good enough to be a top 9 NHL player. It's all about the mind-set you take. If you want to go down to improve certain weaknesses they are easier to improve and try out against lesser comp. So many guys get rushed to higher levels and then become completely risk-averse as they lose confidence.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I just hope he doesn't go back go juniors. He can try half as hard and his shot will still make him a goalscoring threat. I'd want to see him somewhere with less games against professional competition so he can figure out what he can get away with and how slippery he needs to get to stay alive. Shame we can't send him to the AHL.
Unfortunately, he has to go back to the OHL. I argued this before; its ridiculous that a player like Robertson, who has nothing left to learn or prove at the CHL level, has to play in the OHL or be in the NHL. I know the NHL and CHL have an agreement in place but it makes no sense to me. I'm kinda hoping they'll ship him off to Europe next year, that'd be best for his development. It'll never happen but that's what's best for him. He should be with the Marlies but it's not possible.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
People dramatically overstate the impact of players repeating levels. If Marner can go back at 18 after putting up 2ppg the previous year and improve as a player, then Nick Robertson isn't going to be above that level. If you are too good for the OHL at 19, you are good enough to be a top 9 NHL player. It's all about the mind-set you take. If you want to go down to improve certain weaknesses they are easier to improve and try out against lesser comp. So many guys get rushed to higher levels and then become completely risk-averse as they lose confidence.
While I almost always have no issue with overcooking prospects, you have to make certain rare exceptions. Robertson is one of those. Robertson feels like a Pastrnak or Debrincat. He doesnt need 2 years of seasoning. Maybe that's just me. I dont feel that way about any of our other prospects btw.

Reactions: kb

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed. I really like Robertson, I think he’s arguably our best prospect, but chances are slim that he makes the team next year. And any talk about him being the top player in his draft ... extremely unlikely, he’d have to improve A LOT more before entering those discussions.

I think he’s got a shot to become a Gallagher level player. If that happens, I’ll be VERY happy! But people expecting the next Brad Marchand are almost certainly going to be disappointed.
The USA commentators during the Canada USA game said he reminded them of Parise, I'm liking that comparison.
If he turns out at a Gallagher level it's still a huge win, but I'm unwilling to say what his ceiling is yet. Too early to tell anything other than he looks really promising right now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Barring some major physical developments between now and next September I would send him back to junior and let him mature more.

He then could possibly crack the Leafs roster for the 2021/22 season filling the void someone like Hyman who is slated to be a UFA at that point.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Barring some major physical developments between now and next September I would send him back to junior and let him mature more.

He then could possibly crack the Leafs roster for the 2021/22 season filling the void someone like Hyman who is slated to be a UFA at that point.
I don't think he will ever be the kind of player that will be able to play the Hyman role. His career will be very short taking and giving that kind of punishment

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

The good news is, with Robertsons work ethic and attitude, complacency wont be an issue, at all.

There is no need to rush him, we aren't Montreal who recently rush (and potentially ruin) any decent prospect with a pulse. It will happen again with Caufield.

Best prospect in the draft? Slotted onto Tavares wing for next year? Pump the breaks a little.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The good news is, with Robertsons work ethic and attitude, complacency wont be an issue, at all.

There is no need to rush him, we aren't Montreal who recently rush (and potentially ruin) any decent prospect with a pulse. It will happen again with Caufield.

Best prospect in the draft? Slotted onto Tavares wing for next year? Pump the breaks a little.

I'm not saying NHL or bust next year, but somewhere in Europe would be a good compromise and give a better environment to focus on building size.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not saying NHL or bust next year, but somewhere in Europe would be a good compromise and give a better environment to focus on building size.

Robertson isn't unique in the fact that he'll probably go back in his D+2, no need to consider Europe as an option and I'm sure isn't even on the radar. Especially when you consider his age, he was just days away from being eligible for the 2020 draft.

The OHL will be just fine for his development.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately, he has to go back to the OHL. I argued this before; its ridiculous that a player like Robertson, who has nothing left to learn or prove at the CHL level, has to play in the OHL or be in the NHL. I know the NHL and CHL have an agreement in place but it makes no sense to me. I'm kinda hoping they'll ship him off to Europe next year, that'd be best for his development. It'll never happen but that's what's best for him. He should be with the Marlies but it's not possible.
A lot more talented guys have gone back and improved. Tavares improved at the OHL level after scoring 72 goals at 16. Robertson doesn't look above the OHL yet. He needs to get stronger and faster. Every year I hear this about some kids, and I'm honestly puzzled at who it ruins. I've seen way more kids ruined by being aggressively rushed up levels.

Do people seriously think Barzal would have developed better if he played a year in Europe? Would Marner be better if we put him in Europe at 18 instead of sending him back? If he's too good for the OHL at 19, he'll force our hand and earn a top 9 role. He absolutely has things he can learn at that level. It's not like he's been the best player in the league or is currently challenging for CHL player of the year. Now, maybe he'll have an insanely strong 2nd half and playoffs.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
A lot more talented guys have gone back and improved. Tavares improved at the OHL level after scoring 72 goals at 16. Robertson doesn't look above the OHL yet. He needs to get stronger and faster. Every year I hear this about some kids, and I'm honestly puzzled at who it ruins. I've seen way more kids ruined by being aggressively rushed up levels.

Do people seriously think Barzal would have developed better if he played a year in Europe? Would Marner be better if we put him in Europe at 18 instead of sending him back? If he's too good for the OHL at 19, he'll force our hand and earn a top 9 role. He absolutely has things he can learn at that level. It's not like he's been the best player in the league or is currently challenging for CHL player of the year. Now, maybe he'll have an insanely strong 2nd half and playoffs.
I agree with you, sending players back to junior has seldom ruined their development. However it's entirely conceivable if he hadn't broken his finger he'd be leading the OHL in goals, so he's in the group of players up for discussion that maybe very soon he will outgrow the league. He's certainly blown all expectations for a late 2nd round pick out of the water. Very pleased with him as a prospect.

Reactions: The Cobra

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree with you, sending players back to junior has seldom ruined their development. However it's entirely conceivable if he hadn't broken his finger he'd be leading the OHL in goals, so he's in the group of players up for discussion that maybe very soon he will outgrow the league. He's certainly blown all expectations for a late 2nd round pick out of the water. Very pleased with him as a prospect.
Guys like Rossi and McMichael are putting up over 2.1 points per game right now. I mean, DeBrincat was 2nd in OHL goal scoring at 17 and 18 and went back. He's absolutely exceeding expectations, and this isn't meant to tear him down. He looks at the moment to have been the best possible pick at 53. But, people are getting a bit ahead of themselves. Everything I've heard about the kid's work ethic and dedication indicates to me he won't be harmed by going back.

My stance is pretty clear. If he's outgrown the league, then he should be able to crack pretty much any-teams top 9 regardless of depth. He needs to get stronger, faster, cut down on some of the turnovers trying to do too much (at least at the OHL level) and round out his defensive game. Going back isn't going to hurt him. The fixation with sending kids to Europe is getting ridiculous. Its not like some of the examples of Euro's who got sent back or were able to get to the AHL prematurely out of the CHL is particularly strong.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Can the leafs loan him to Sweden? A bunch of players like Broberg get loaned to play against men.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Watched Robertson tonight vs the Generals. The guy looks pretty damn solid. Scored a goal. He has a nice shot and he goes to the dirty areas.

Although the Pete's overall played an absolute shit game. The starting goalie for the Pete's was brutal tonight... Still good to see some Leafs prospects.

I know it's a Robertson thread... but I have to add SDA for me was easily the most noticeable on either team even in a 7-2 loss.

SDA looked great. Very shifty, nice passes, took hits really well, and fought through it. He looks pretty quick too.

I was a Petes fan in Oshawas barn tonight ... so yeah... I was pretty quiet.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012

Gotta hang onto Hyman and I don’t think he wants to leave. The guy is a great heart and soul player that we don’t have enough of. He might even be one of few who takes a discount.

Robertson and Hyman on separate lines in the top 6 would be dandy.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012

Still pretty fun to imagine a Robertson - Tavares - Nylander line.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Its hard not to get ahead of ourselves with excitement for this one. If there's one place in our forward lineup that a player could force their way into, it's a star level LW, and especially a goal scoring one that will go to the dirty areas. It all just fits so well

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Its hard not to get ahead of ourselves with excitement for this one. If there's one place in our forward lineup that a player could force their way into, it's a star level LW, and especially a goal scoring one that will go to the dirty areas. It all just fits so well

Plus he’s got that sexy grit all the guys are always clamouring about!

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Man, he's so young, but if he keeps this up, it's going to be hard to send him back down next year. He just keeps getting better and better.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Man, he's so young, but if he keeps this up, it's going to be hard to send him back down next year. He just keeps getting better and better.
I think we've got our own version of Debrincat on our hands. A different player, sure, but I cant remember the last prospect we drafted whom I felt could make the jump so quickly outside of the obvious top 10 picks. I could see him in the top 6 next year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Only one month and ten days older than Alexis Lafreniere. Just sayin...

Yeah he’s going to be good.
It’s been funny seeing a very obvious main board poster try to tear Robertson down for his skating and implying he is the second coming of Jeremy Bracco (I do think Bracco will be successful in the nhl eventually though).

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Only one month and ten days older than Alexis Lafreniere. Just sayin...

Yeah he’s going to be good.
It’s been funny seeing a very obvious main board poster try to tear Robertson down for his skating and implying he is the second coming of Jeremy Bracco (I do think Bracco will be successful in the nhl eventually though).

People saying that about him have likely only seen him play at most once or twice too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad