Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If strength was the overriding factor marner would have been returned to junior, so we know Leafs don't have strength as the prime criteria for making the team.

Yep, he'll be 19 next season, and there are about 15 players 19 or younger who have played some games in the NHL this year.

Jack Hughes, 18 years old 5'11', 170 lbs.
Joel Farabee, 19 years old, 6', 164 lbs.

At this point you'd have to wonder if there be any room on the roster anyway.

If Robertson's current stats of 5'-9" & 161 lbs are still accurate that will play a part in the decision process.

I can see another year of junior and then at least 1 year in the AHL minimum allowing him time to gain strength and fill out. IMO

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Robertson's current stats of 5'-9" & 161 lbs are still accurate that will play a part in the decision process.

I can see another year of junior and then at least 1 year in the AHL minimum allowing him time to gain strength and fill out. IMO

I think it will come down to skating.

If his skating is elite or far above average he'll arrive sooner.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
If strength was the overriding factor marner would have been returned to junior, so we know Leafs don't have strength as the prime criteria for making the team.

Yep, he'll be 19 next season, and there are about 15 players 19 or younger who have played some games in the NHL this year.

Jack Hughes, 18 years old 5'11', 170 lbs.
Joel Farabee, 19 years old, 6', 164 lbs.

At this point you'd have to wonder if there be any room on the roster anyway.

I never commented on if he's strong enough for the NHL. I only stated that his shot could be more awesome with strength training. His shot is elite right now and can get even better.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
For me, he's making the team next year. Man I cannot wait. I love how we all thought that last year's iteration was the deepest this team will ever be but then we still have Sandin and Liljegren as well as Robertson soon coming up to the team to supplement the depth from guys like Miky, Moore and Engvall who are making an immediate impact.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
For me, he's making the team next year. Man I cannot wait. I love how we all thought that last year's iteration was the deepest this team will ever be but then we still have Sandin and Liljegren as well as Robertson soon coming up to the team to supplement the depth from guys like Miky, Moore and Engvall who are making an immediate impact.

Been saying this for a while, hell and add Korshkov to that group.

This will EASILY be the deepest roster in the league.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Been saying this for a while, hell and add Korshkov to that group.

This will EASILY be the deepest roster in the league.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

He is really good and will likely be a NHL player, but not next year. The game he plays he will need some more strength to be successful in the NHL, and by that I'm also including longevity. We don't want him on Robidas island in his first season.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

He is really good and will likely be a NHL player, but not next year. The game he plays he will need some more strength to be successful in the NHL, and by that I'm also including longevity. We don't want him on Robidas island in his first season.

100%. I don't think he's too small to be successful in the NHL, but I do think he needs some more physical development time just to have the strength to stave off injury. I wouldn't be comfortable with him in the NHL next year unless he shows up as a truly precocious player.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Two potential steals in back to back drafts.

Sandin and Robertson have legit NHL upside, and chances at high end up side.
I think since Shanahan took over and he hired a bunch of fresh faces the drafting has been on point. These last two top selections have not disappointed. I actually think they both bring some spice despite being small in stature.

Reactions: kb

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Agreed. I really like Robertson, I think he’s arguably our best prospect, but chances are slim that he makes the team next year. And any talk about him being the top player in his draft ... extremely unlikely, he’d have to improve A LOT more before entering those discussions.

I think he’s got a shot to become a Gallagher level player. If that happens, I’ll be VERY happy! But people expecting the next Brad Marchand are almost certainly going to be disappointed.

Reactions: saltming

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Agreed. I really like Robertson, I think he’s arguably our best prospect, but chances are slim that he makes the team next year. And any talk about him being the top player in his draft ... extremely unlikely, he’d have to improve A LOT more before entering those discussions.

I think he’s got a shot to become a Gallagher level player. If that happens, I’ll be VERY happy! But people expecting the next Brad Marchand are almost certainly going to be disappointed.

I hear ya

But to be fair, Brad Marchand was not even close to the player he is today when he was younger.

Nobody can predict, but I like Robertson right now more than Marchand at the same age.

Reactions: saltming

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I hear ya

But to be fair, Brad Marchand was not even close to the player he is today when he was younger.

Nobody can predict, but I like Robertson right now more than Marchand at the same age.
Yeah, he’s ahead of same-age Marchand, but the same is true for a TONNE of prospects who have ended up nowhere close to as good as Marchand. The rat improved so, so much over the years, to eventually become one of the top few wingers in the league, it’s really hard to replicate that. Love Robertson, but the chance of him becoming that good is very, very small.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I just hope he doesn't go back go juniors. He can try half as hard and his shot will still make him a goalscoring threat. I'd want to see him somewhere with less games against professional competition so he can figure out what he can get away with and how slippery he needs to get to stay alive. Shame we can't send him to the AHL.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yeah, he’s ahead of same-age Marchand, but the same is true for a TONNE of prospects who have ended up nowhere close to as good as Marchand. The rat improved so, so much over the years, to eventually become one of the top few wingers in the league, it’s really hard to replicate that. Love Robertson, but the chance of him becoming that good is very, very small.
Agreed even when he was having very good seasons in the NHL, even then I never thought he'd reach the level he has.

Reactions: ponder

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marchand actually had a pretty damn great D+1 season making Canada and winning gold, and having a 2 point per game playoff run with Val D'or.

But, getting a quality middle-six winger at 53 is a win. If he can become a legitimate 1st liner to the level of Gallagher that's a huge success.

I agree with the general premise though, never expect a prospects development timeline to match-up with extreme outliers. For example, people trying to point to Wheeler to boost Puljujarvi's stock right now, saying Wheeler didn't break out until his d+7, whereas almost all other high picks who haven't broken out until their d+5 never do. Marchand didn't break out to his current level until he was 28.

Reactions: ponder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad