Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd Pick (#110 OA) - Ian Scott - 6'3" 174lbs G - Prince Albert (WHL)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I prioritize goalies higher on our list of needs. We had a chance at some really good ones.

Not overly impressed with this pick. We'll see what happens.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You should use a late pick on a goalie every draft as far as I'm concerned. Give them all the time they need to develop. You'll hit a home run eventually.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I prioritize goalies higher on our list of needs. We had a chance at some really good ones.

Not overly impressed with this pick. We'll see what happens.

One of my favourite ones actually. Every single article says this guy gets exposed to the point he can't do anything on a game-to-game basis. He's on one of the worst teams in the CHL.

And then they say, he's positionally sound, highly touted, and got a great mind for the position. Doesn't hurt that he was a 1st round pick into the WHL draft, and took over the starters role at 17.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
One of my favourite ones actually. Every single article says this guy gets exposed to the point he can't do anything on a game-to-game basis. He's on one of the worst teams in the CHL.

And then they say, he's positionally sound, highly touted, and got a great mind for the position. Doesn't hurt that he was a 1st round pick into the WHL draft, and took over the starters role at 17.

Hope he doesn't leave junior absolutely shell shocked, and shot for confidence. I just think there was an opportunity to do better that we passed up.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hope he doesn't leave junior absolutely shell shocked, and shot for confidence. I just think there was an opportunity to do better that we passed up.

in the 4th round? i dont know what other goalies were picked after scott or you mean with pick 59?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I like DiPietro too, but we all know Babcock doesn't like goalies that he considers "small". Probably a huge factor unfortunately.

This guy has me Matt Murray excited. Problem is I can't delve deeper into them because there's so little goalie info about WHL goalies advanced stats. Ian Fleming does great work with his SAVE charts, but only works on OHL and QMJHL in junior leagues unfortunately.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I like DiPietro too, but we all know Babcock doesn't like goalies that he considers "small". Probably a huge factor unfortunately.

This guy has me Matt Murray excited. Problem is I can't delve deeper into them because there's so little goalie info about WHL goalies advanced stats. Ian Fleming does great work with his SAVE charts, but only works on OHL and QMJHL in junior leagues unfortunately.

stats so similar to matt murrays its eerie. Murray had sub .900 sv% until draft +2

edit: obviously murray must of hit a sharp development curve but scott could easily do the same, scouting report makes him sound like a a good goalie technically but his team was atrocious

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If I'm the Leafs, I am begging for this kid to be moved. Prince Albert is awful.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
If I'm the Leafs, I am begging for this kid to be moved. Prince Albert is awful.

That's what both Winnipeg did with morrisey and Edmonton did with draisaitl. Can't expect a team to improve when you keep moving their stars. They're a young team, let them grow.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That's what both Winnipeg did with morrisey and Edmonton did with draisaitl. Can't expect a team to improve when you keep moving their stars. They're a young team, let them grow.

goaltender is different though, would rather 50+ games with prince albert or go to a contender and maybe end up the backup? or a middle of the pack team and have a tandem?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Matt Murray is a total outlier! :laugh:
I get we all hope for best case scenario and all, but there were better goalies in this draft. I value the need for a high end goalie prospect higher than most around here, and so I wish we would've grabbed one.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
goaltender is different though, would rather 50+ games with prince albert or go to a contender and maybe end up the backup? or a middle of the pack team and have a tandem?

Scott is good enough to be the starter on every WHL team that would be interested in him.

Lethbridge won't be looking to acquire him with Stuart Skinner.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Won't be good for his confidence though...

This is a worry. He's getting peppered night after night. He can work his tail off, and the team around him is garbage, and it's deflating.

Not my favourite pick at all, but hoping he surprises.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So I see that he played on Canada for the u18's.

Any chance he's on the WJHC roster this year? Who is his competition?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Encouragement..

He's the only WHL goalie in the last 2 seasons to start over 25 games in his age 16 season. He carried a winning record.

He had 50 starts as a 17 year old goalie on a terrible team.
The next close 17 year old in the CHL had 36 starts and much worse stats.

Finally and most importantly..

Ian Scott faced the most shots/minute of any WHL starter. This is important because? It shows that his defense absolutely left him out to dry. Playing for an abysmal team, he's done fairly well and I like his chances for drastic improvement.

Good size and good mechanics is great.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This is a worry. He's getting peppered night after night. He can work his tail off, and the team around him is garbage, and it's deflating.

Not my favourite pick at all, but hoping he surprises.
Didn't hurt Matt Murray. This is exactly how teams should go about drafting goalies. Wait until the 3rd round or later and swing for the fences, targeting big, athletic, positionally sound goalies with a good head on their shoulders. The road to starter status in the NHL is so up and down that spending high end assets is just not worth it. Scott is bound to improve statistically and will be in contention for a WJC job in the next couple years. If he gets shipped to a competent team - lookout.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I did some HF searching for thoughts on Ian Scott.

When Scott was 14 years old, I read a WHL follower compare his game to Carey Price.

Some thought he was going to be a 1st rounder in 2017.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I did some HF searching for thoughts on Ian Scott.

When Scott was 14 years old, I read a WHL follower compare his game to Carey Price.

Some thought he was going to be a 1st rounder in 2017.

He was drafted 9th OA in the WHL draft, the highest since Carey Price who was draft 7th OA.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I just rewatched the Top Prospects game this afternoon. Scott looked terrific, made some beautiful saves ... and let in four goals in half a game. The goals were on terrific offensive plays but still, he let in 4 goals on 17 shots. The review of Scott in the Black Book said much the same, that he looks very good but lets in more goals than you like to see. As far as I am able to judge goalie mechanics, he looks more than solid. Hopefully he will play on a better team next year and makes more actual saves which, after all, is the point of the exercise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad