Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd Pick (#110 OA) - Ian Scott - 6'3" 174lbs G - Prince Albert (WHL)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I just rewatched the Top Prospects game this afternoon. Scott looked terrific, made some beautiful saves ... and let in four goals in half a game. The goals were on terrific offensive plays but still, he let in 4 goals on 17 shots. The review of Scott in the Black Book said much the same, that he looks very good but lets in more goals than you like to see. As far as I am able to judge goalie mechanics, he looks more than solid. Hopefully he will play on a better team next year and makes more actual saves which, after all, is the point of the exercise.

When your only job is to stop goals from going in, having "lets in more goals than you'd like to see" in your scouting report is a bit concerning :laugh:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He was drafted 9th OA in the WHL draft, the highest since Carey Price who was draft 7th OA.

Which is encouraging IMO. Drafting teenagers isn't about the numbers, at all, goalie or otherwise. That's how you end up trading Rask and keeping Pogge.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I just rewatched the Top Prospects game this afternoon. Scott looked terrific, made some beautiful saves ... and let in four goals in half a game. The goals were on terrific offensive plays but still, he let in 4 goals on 17 shots. The review of Scott in the Black Book said much the same, that he looks very good but lets in more goals than you like to see. As far as I am able to judge goalie mechanics, he looks more than solid. Hopefully he will play on a better team next year and makes more actual saves which, after all, is the point of the exercise.

The issue with Scott is his consistency. In that sense he's similar to Fitzpatrick although Fitzpatrick would just dissolve sometimes in really tough games. Scott is more of a battler but he does go down into the butterfly early sometimes and leave space in the top corners. He's a great value pick at 110 as most of the better goalies were off the board at that point.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The issue with Scott is his consistency. In that sense he's similar to Fitzpatrick although Fitzpatrick would just dissolve sometimes in really tough games. Scott is more of a battler but he does go down into the butterfly early sometimes and leave space in the top corners. He's a great value pick at 110 as most of the better goalies were off the board at that point.

His problem is he has to cheat (it also explains a lot of his consistency issues), which is necessary because his defense is a bigger sieve than the Leafs and Marlies combined. If he didn't, he'd get beat a lot more because he has so much athleticism that even when does cheat he can often cover himself with a great kick save or something. If he doesn't, he has to face a wide open slot save with half the net open.

I think fans will fall in love with Scott in due time. He has the technique, size, endurance, and mental strength to be a starter in the NHL. The rest of his issues will work themselves out over time, experience and some coaching. Getting a team that has some decent defense would also be nice, but he's had the opportunity to be their best player at least.

He's the perfect type of guy to pair with Woll in the pipeline. Now if the Leafs can find a good 5th pro goalie on an AHL deal, and draft a late round guy next year who needs some time, we are good for a few years IMO. Antoine Samuel, if we can lure him away from his OA season in the QMJHL, can be our 5th goalie (instead of Bibeau) if he's good enough. We'll see how he matches up against Woll and Scott in camp. There are other guys the Leafs could look at, but bridging the two good 93's we have in Sparks and Kaskisuo and the 98/99 we have in Woll and Sparks would be nice.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
After watching this video I can definitely see why Hunter was so excited about Scott and why he drafted this guy in the fourth round. He appears to have really high end skill and athleticism. Obviously because this is a brief highlight package it only gives an indication of what the kid is all about but you have to be very impressed by his skill set.
This looks to be a very good pick for a fourth rounder . IMO the people dumping on this pick because his stats ( which are significantly skewed because he played on a terrible team) don't really understand much about 18 year old hockey prospects . Judge for yourself :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4aZ-Y9PZQ

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
After watching this video I can definitely see why Hunter was so excited about Scott and why he drafted this guy in the fourth round. He appears to have really high-end skill and athleticism.
This looks to be a very good pick for a fourth rounder. IMO the people dumping on this pick because his stats ( which are significantly skewed because he played on a terrible team) don't really understand much about 18-year-old hockey prospects. Judge for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4aZ-Y9PZQ

After watching Freddy all season, its nice to see an athletic goalie, bouncing around. :laugh:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I too think Scott was a good choice in the fourth round. But you linked to a short highlight reel. For heaven's sake, you could create a 1.34 long highlight reel from any goalie in the CHL, even the worst. Let's be a little more realistic about these things.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I too think Scott was a good choice in the fourth round. But you linked to a short highlight reel. For heaven's sake, you could create a 1.34 long highlight reel from any goalie in the CHL, even the worst. Let's be a little more realistic about these things.

Yes . I realized after I posted that it could be interpreted that I was making this statement based soley on that video thus I edited my post immediately after . I assumed that most people knew that he was the number 3 goalie rated in the draft but obviously that wasn't the case. Thanks for keeping me realistic.. Lol.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I would like to watch some of his play to get a good read on him but I can't really find any highlight vids. I only found the two short vids on youtube. Seer, please help!

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He looks more athletic than woll... woll looks more allaire/blocker style goalie. While Scott looks more hybrid but still good positionally and seemed to knock rebounds down well. I like what I see in the video.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just finished watching the first half of the top prospects game. My first impressions of him is that he has good feet. He uses his edges well but he really needs to improve his power. He is not quick enough side to side to get squared up to the puck. He looks good making these stretched out desperation saves but that will only get you so far. His rebound control needs work to quiet his game down.

He says he models his game after Carey Price but i don't see it. Personally i think he looks more like Pekka Rinne wih his stance, golve postioning and movement. Woll plays similar but he is much quicker to seal the ice and is very fast at squaring up to the puck. Woll seems to get in front of everything and is never out of position. His rebound control and poise is well beyond Scott's and i think is likely to be and NHLer and starter. Scott is a nice project though if he can add some weight and power to his frame and i look forward to seeing how his development goes

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
would scott have any chance at the WJHC team, I don't know much about Canadian goalies im sure there must be a sure fire guy who will be #1 guy but could scott have a shot at #3 guy maybe #2 guy?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Scott wasn't one of the four goalies invited to the U20 summer camp. However, having played for the U18 team, he must surely be on Team Canada's radar. A stellar early season run by Scott, especially if coupled with some problems with the other candidates, could lift him into more active consideration. The only goalie to be invited from this draft class was Stuart Skinner. It is not necessarily the case that there is a long line of goalies in front of Scott.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Scott wasn't one of the four goalies invited to the U20 summer camp. However, having played for the U18 team, he must surely be on Team Canada's radar. A stellar early season run by Scott, especially if coupled with some problems with the other candidates, could lift him into more active consideration. The only goalie to be invited from this draft class was Stuart Skinner. It is not necessarily the case that there is a long line of goalies in front of Scott.

Skinner is a 98' too remember. Dipietro gets it because he's just amazing. Plus who else do they invite? I do not think there are a ton of options to choose from...

Scott did not have a good enough U18 camp and did not impress enough playing for his crap team. It's alright though. He was probably on the cusp and that's good enough. He has a shot for the next couple of years.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The guy was the 10th goalie taken? Had a bit of a fall in his stock, and the Leafs jumped on the pick. There's a outside case he could wind up being the best out of the class as well. That's pretty good pickings in the 4th round. Perhaps the Leafs can help in his development as well and fix any short-comings.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
The guy was the 10th goalie taken? Had a bit of a fall in his stock, and the Leafs jumped on the pick. There's a outside case he could wind up being the best out of the class as well. That's pretty good pickings in the 4th round. Perhaps the Leafs can help in his development as well and fix any short-comings.

Yeah, it seemed to me he was a top 3-5 goalie pick even heading into the draft on some lists. I admittedly don't know much about him, but the pick looks worth the risk to me.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 1st highlight-montage for Ian Scott (#33)..., who is the goaltender with the 2016-17 Prince Albert Raiders.., in the WHL...
and he was also with the 2016-17 Canada U18 Team.. Ian was just recently drafted in Round 4 /#110 overall
..with the Toronto Maple Leafs 3rd pick.., in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

From what I have seen of him already, I don't think his present stats. reflex anything close to his potential. He looks pretty confident in the crease, imo... Unfortunately, the Raiders aren't one of the strongest WHL teams, at this moment in time.
Their total 2016-17 games lost are definitely not all on Ian, from what I see...

110_Scott-730x456.jpg

Ian Scott
Goalie -- shoots L
Born Jan 11 1999 -- Calgary, ALTA
*18 yrs. ago
Height *6.03 -- Weight 172

Ranked #91 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #74 by Future Considerations
Ranked #109 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #3 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Goalies)
Ranked #91 by TSN/McKenzie

RECENT STATS:

*2016-17 - Prince Albert Raiders - WHL
50 Games... 12 Wins.. 31 Losses... 0 Ties... *2 S/O's..
.895 SV % ... 3.69 GAA..
-------------------------------------------------------------
*2016-17 - Team Canada U-18 - WJC-18
4 Games... .861 SV % ... 4.02 GAA..
*2016-17 - Team Canada U-18 - Hlinka Memorial
1 Game... .913 SV % ... 1.86 GAA..

This video includes: Many of Ian's saves, from the Prince Albert Raiders 2016-17 season...; clips from an interview in early 2017..
....and a few other various 2016-17 video clips & photos....

Flashback: Ian Scott 2016-17 Save Highlights - Leafs 2017 Draft Pick - TML (HD)

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
My 1st highlight-montage for Ian Scott (#33)..., who is the goaltender with the 2016-17 Prince Albert Raiders.., in the WHL...
and he was also with the 2016-17 Canada U18 Team.. Ian was just recently drafted in Round 4 /#110 overall
..with the Toronto Maple Leafs 3rd pick.., in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

From what I have seen of him already, I don't think his present stats. reflex anything close to his potential. He looks pretty confident in the crease, imo... Unfortunately, the Raiders aren't one of the strongest WHL teams, at this moment in time.
Their total 2016-17 games lost are definitely not all on Ian, from what I see...

110_Scott-730x456.jpg

Ian Scott
Goalie -- shoots L
Born Jan 11 1999 -- Calgary, ALTA
*18 yrs. ago
Height *6.03 -- Weight 172

Ranked #91 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #74 by Future Considerations
Ranked #109 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #3 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Goalies)
Ranked #91 by TSN/McKenzie

RECENT STATS:

*2016-17 - Prince Albert Raiders - WHL
50 Games... 12 Wins.. 31 Losses... 0 Ties... *2 S/O's..
.895 SV % ... 3.69 GAA..
*2016-17 - Team Canada U-18 - WJC-18
4 Games... .861 SV % ... 4.02 GAA..
*2016-17 - Team Canada U-18 - Hlinka Memorial
1 Game... .913 SV % ... 1.86 GAA..

This video includes: Many of Ian's saves, from the Prince Albert Raiders 2016-17 season...; clips from an interview in early 2017..
....and a few other various 2016-17 video clips & photos....

Flashback: Ian Scott 2016-17 Save Highlights - Leafs 2017 Draft Pick - TML (HD)

Thanks for the vid SEER!

I maintain what i said in my earlier post. Needs to have better rebound control and more efficient movement int the net. Needs to stay a little more upright while in the butterfly. Project goalie for sure

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the vid SEER!

I maintain what i said in my earlier post. Needs to have better rebound control and more efficient movement int the net. Needs to stay a little more upright while in the butterfly. Project goalie for sure

Almost every young goalie is, agreed... Considering how many games he played, though..., it looks like their coach went to him a lot..

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
7 games in and hes playing insane. 6 wins, 935 save % & a 1.86 GAA. Obviously early but hes been a big help in making the raiders a top 10 team in canada.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad