Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Florida has OEL out tonight and Ekblad won't play until game 1, I kind of wonder if they're more banged up than we realize.

I'd be telling the boys to finish checks tonight.
Barkov is hurt as well.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yea, it’s quite possible Boston blows them out 5-0 and we know our opponent before our game is even over. I just want a little drama, lol
Agreed, drama makes things interesting. It's too bad the game against Tampa doesn't mean anything in the standings.

Reactions: Buds17

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Generally not in the early rounds, but it depends on TV and arena availability.
If they don't, it could be:

G1 - Saturday
G2 - Monday
G3 - Wednesday (Home)
G4 - Friday (Home)

I know generally the thought is they want the Leafs on Saturday in the playoffs, but we've had a few Friday games over the years and if anything it'd prop up an otherwise 'weaker' ratings night for hockey.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
If they don't, it could be:

G1 - Saturday
G2 - Monday
G3 - Wednesday (Home)
G4 - Friday (Home)

I know generally the thought is they want the Leafs on Saturday in the playoffs, but we've had a few Friday games over the years and if anything it'd prop up an otherwise 'weaker' ratings night for hockey.
And they could feature the western teams for that Saturday.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While it's unfortunate that we can't improve our situation, it is interesting that we do have some influence tonight over who the first round opponent will be.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Every expert will tell you, in every team sport:

Offense wins games
defense wins championships

No room and space in the playoffs also. Forwards have to fight through. Willing to pay the price to score and win. And most playoff teams have decent level defense and goaltending to begin with.
Yep this is problem Mitch and JT have in playoffs .. their time and space is limited and you got to have speed to blow by people .. it is why Willy always looks decent as he has an extra gear to hit to blow by a D man .. JT and Mitch don't so they have to do it with stickwork which is much much harder when your guy is right on top of you .. if we win our D must be outstanding and we have to have tending where all da normal saves get made every game and then Matty and Willy have to produce 2 goals per game bottom line .. win 2-1 in OT and then grind out another game

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It’ll take a miracle for this rag tag group to do well.

Matthews needs Domi

Boston tanked for us.

It was obvious

Last edited:

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Best way to build momentum for a run… send these Bruins packing in less than 7.

Starts with winning Saturday.

GLG

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Just a theory....

I think we find out just how much of an imprint Treliving has had on this team game 1.

Yes the Game is dictated by the coach, but there's a reason we got some big guys and Mr.Reaves.

If, and ofcourse we all know its a BIG if. Yet, if this is known, and the boys are finally tired of being thrown around. I could understand why they have not fought as many mountains as they could have this season.

It's not only the fans that know and cry about our playoff records, the boys are absolutely SICK of it as well.

There is a chance, regardless of how minute, that they have been gearing up for war.

I choose to believe this little fantasy boys and girls. Because....

What if?

Reactions: AvroArrow

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's funny that the Bruins are the less dirty team(vs Florida). I know my fellow Leafs won't hear it; but this team is much tougher overall than we've seen in the past.

Reactions: torontoblood

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Saying it's better to face Boston than Florida is like saying it's better to get punched in the face than kicked in the balls.

I think they have a better chance against Boston too. I've already heard speculation they manufactured it this way. Engineering it so Boston was the first round opponent seems unlikely to me however.

That's like shooting your foot off and attempting to pass it off as a plan to save money on shoes.

It really is almost cup or bust at this point. Even if they go to the finals they would have to repeat their success next year. Otherwise it would just appear lucky they finally won a few rounds.

It's gonna take more than a Cinderella Run to convince this team is for real.

Eight years down the toilet already. Without a single game played past the second round. I'm sick of telling myself there's always next year.

It's time to shit or get off the pot.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Boston or Florida doesn't matter. I'd be pissed if we had a chance to play the Capitals and lost to play Boston but that wasnt the case.

Both these teams are elite and getting through either of them is going to be hard.

If you forget about the past, Boston is definitely the easier match up.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
2 regular season victories in their barn since Nov 2017.

1710798705680-png.837935

exhibit A - we are up against a lot.

Reactions: torontoblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad