Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
You can believe whatever you like but it will have no bearing on an outcome you have no control over.
Obviously I'm not playing the game you are correct but what really is "control"?
Regardless the same principle applys to Matthews and Co... the truth is, if there's 2 million torontonian "beings of consciousness" believing the team will lose to the Panthers and 18 thousand of them (including media) go to the arena to watch the game all the while believing the team will lose...
at the very least you'd have admit that the team would notice this negative vibe and it wouldn't be the ideal atmosphere to make them feel more confident in their efforts to win...

Remember without the fans cheers and money the NHL and the TML mean nothing at all...

Manifestation is real and part of accepted Hermetic science (true science) and there's no real need for you and I to go into any further details on this matter... mostly because I don't believe you have enough knowledge in this particular field for it to be a worthwhile or appropriately timed conversation for either of us...

Good luck in your life of suspended disbelief ; )

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Loser mentality... Boston is an empire falling and Florida is WAAAAAAAY overrated 🙄
LOL maybe you are right but idk I don't see us being able to beat either

Boston's PP is not something we can stop, in a 7 game series they always score 7 goals against us. Their physical style really neuters our stars and we lose the goaltending battle. Pastrnak and Marchand also love to eat us alive

Florida's relenting forecheck doesn't bode well for our slow, bad puck moving defence. Their physical style also neuters our stars and again we lose the goaltending battle. They also beefed up their defence with actual NHL defencemen in OEL and Mikkola vs Staal and whoever they had.

It comes down to the core as always, the depth will probably score enough to keep us in a series, like it did in 2018 and last year against florida. If our stars step up we could beat these teams, I just don't expect them to do it to the level needed to win

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Are you just looking at the standings and saying that?

What teams would you think leafs match up well against? Or are you just doom and gloom and think Leafs are out round 1 against any team.
No.

Florida and Boston stylistically are the 2 worst possible matchups for the Leafs. Mainly because both teams play a very aggressive, heavy forechecking style and they leave their opponents on the perimeter for the most part. And we've seen what this team has done against that system come playoff time.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
They will get rag dolled against Florida. Almost everyone I talk to forgets how much of a spanking they gave us last year. “Oh we hit all these posts and got goalied”, no they dominated game play and we were scared to touch the puck. They basically swept us. What changes have we made boosh and edmundson, but lost Schenn, ORielly and Acciari, I hope that’s enough.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

Boston's PP is not something we can stop, in a 7 game series they always score 7 goals against us. Their physical style really neuters our stars and we lose the goaltending battle. Pastrnak and Marchand also love to eat us alive

Florida's relenting forecheck doesn't bode well for our slow, bad puck moving defence. Their physical style also neuters our stars and again we lose the goaltending battle. They also beefed up their defence with actual NHL defencemen in OEL and Mikkola vs Staal and whoever they had.

It comes down to the core as always, the depth will probably score enough to keep us in a series, like it did in 2018 and last year against florida. If our stars step up we could beat these teams, I just don't expect them to do it to the level needed to win
LOL

PP means little in playoffs (so few penalty calls)

Most of everything else you said sounds like negative foreshadowing more than anything...

Leafs are built more like a playoff team this year... that's what I see, they've got sone heart and experience now... it's time to break through

I think Keefe will be able more freely coach in the playoffs this year as well now that Dubas is gone

Also hopefully guys like Holmberg, McMann higher in the lineup and guys like Tavares, Brodie lower... sorta' trying to win a playoff series vs saving face would be great

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
LOL

Most of everything else you said sounds like negative foreshadowing more than anything...

Leafs are built more like a playoff team this year... that's what I see, they've got sone heart and experience now... it's time to break through

I think Keefe will be able more freely coach in the playoffs this year as well now that Dubas is gone

Also hopefully guys like Holmberg, McMann higher in the lineup and guys like Tavares, Brodie lower... sorta' trying to win a playoff series vs saving face would be great
That's actually false. There are MORE powerplays in the playoffs.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

LOL

PP means little in playoffs (so few penalty calls) *or more correctly put (man advantages)

Most of everything else you said sounds like negative foreshadowing than anything...

Leafs are built more like a playoff team this year... that's what I see, they've got done heart and experience now... it's time to break through

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Does Tre give him another shot if he loses in 1st rd and improve the defense?
My guess is that if Keefe doesn't win two rounds then he will be axed.

I hope he understands the requirement for physical, grinding D Men come post-season. He is going to have to drive it through the teams head because the only success this team will have will be in low scoring affairs. Their Core generally disappears so he cannot rely on them to bail the team out.

This necessitates a specific brand of D Man.

Last edited:
Reactions: BallardEra

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
That's actually false. There are MORE powerplays in the playoffs.

Misleading post... the point is power play chances decrease... and that's that was the crux of the conversation

You must have read the book 'How to lie with statistics" lol

Appreciate the "correction" though

PS next time maybe link a post that can actually be read 🤣 #theUNathletic

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
LOL

Yeah I can't believe some people here are so negative after 7 years of success, this team knows how to win and they will show that in round 1 like they did all those other years.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah I can't believe some people here are so negative after 7 years of success, this team knows how to win and they will show that in round 1 like they did all those other years.

It’s the fans fault. We just didn’t want it enough to bring it into reality.

This year guys I want you all to REALLY want to win the cup ‘kay?

Sep 18, 2009
Can the leafs beat either of these teams or is it another lost season in a century of lost seasons with nothing to show for it?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Misleading post... the point is power play chances decrease... and that's that was the crux of the conversation

You must have read the book 'How to lie with statistics" lol

Appreciate the "correction" though

PS next time maybe link a post that can actually be read 🤣 #theUNathletic
Since the 2016 playoffs, there have been 3759 power-play opportunities in 589 playoff games, or 3.2 power plays per game. In the regular season over the same span, there have been just 3.0 power-play opportunities per game. By the slimmest margin, yes, power-play opportunities do go up in the playoffs.

• Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We can beat either one. We have 3 huge offensive players, superior to the top 3 of either team, especially Boston.
BUT, can they, will they, play with the speed , drive and fearlessness needed to scare the poop out of the d of these teams.
I am old enough to recall how great offensive players like Keon, Pocket Richard, Bossey, Gretzky, Kurri, Yzerman, Gilmore never slowed during the playoffs, never paused at the blueline, didn't need to be tough fighters, just fearless, just determined, stitched, sore, bruised but winners.
AM does not need to be Bryan Trottier, or Messier, he needs to be AM at full speed. If he can, if the others can, we can be Champs, or close to it.

We sure have an edge, but we are no way vastly superior. Top 3 offensive players? Sure. Top 3 players? I'd say it's closer with Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman.

Comparing us to Boston I'd say Pasta / Matthews looks like a tie to me. Nylander and Marner are superior to Marchand/Zacha duo, but I'd say McAvoy playing 30 min a game will be more of a factor than either. Plus there is the goalie situation...

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
They will get rag dolled against Florida. Almost everyone I talk to forgets how much of a spanking they gave us last year. “Oh we hit all these posts and got goalied”, no they dominated game play and we were scared to touch the puck. They basically swept us. What changes have we made boosh and edmundson, but lost Schenn, ORielly and Acciari, I hope that’s enough.
Go watch the highlights again. Every game was close. We outshot them in basically every game. WE DID get goalied, Bob was OUT of his mind good. Ask anyone else in the east. BOB was why they got so far. Trade goalies and we win that series 5 out of 5 times. A couple games went to OT. We put up over 50 shots in Game 5, and we had a go ahead goal called back in that would have ended up winning us the game. From there its 3-2 and we're back at home with momentum.

We lost in 5 but every game could have went any way, it was not as discouraging as the series score suggest.

We can take them if Bob isn't in God mode like he was last year. We have higher end talent than they do, if our talent works as hard as them, we win.

Can they do that? Has yet to be seen.

Reactions: TMLife17

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Since the 2016 playoffs, there have been 3759 power-play opportunities in 589 playoff games, or 3.2 power plays per game. In the regular season over the same span, there have been just 3.0 power-play opportunities per game. By the slimmest margin, yes, power-play opportunities do go up in the playoffs.

Slimmest of the margins! You get an extra PP in every series, compared to the regular season. Hardly insignificant. Someone was arguing we have less PP in playoffs, the opposite is true.

horner

May 22, 2007
Slimmest of the margins! You get an extra PP in every series, compared to the regular season. Hardly insignificant. Someone was arguing we have less PP in playoffs, the opposite is true.
Just not playoff performers. SO far....
That needs to change or it doesn't matter who you bring in.
And if it doesn't change then big changes need to be made

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Both Boston and Flordia are beatable. Our top players need to show up that's all.

We have higher top-end talent than both teams. Its just a matter of performing

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
The Overdrive crew talking about Brind'amour being a FA coach this summer.

If we lose in the 1st round, Keefe needs to finally f*** off and MLSE needs to back up the Brinks truck and give Brind'amour a blank check.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'd tank and try to face the Rangers or Tampa (or Detroit or Buffalo). Based on how they "closed out" the game Saturday Night, maybe the team agrees.

ToneDog requests Zeke to be reinstated.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Where is Zeke to do his lineup comparisons?

Bert Matthews Marner vs Tkachuk Barkov Cousins
Knies Domi Nylander vs Verhaeghe Bennett Reinhart
McMann Tavares Jarnkrok vs Rodriguez Lusterinen Tank
Holmberg Kampf Reaves vs Lomberg Stenlund Okposo

Sorry, I like Florida's overall depth, even if Matty shows up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad