Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Boston 2 points up on Florida now that they beat them head to head.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I really think Florida is lowkey overrated. Not that they're bad but I do think they are overrated. Their defense isn't anything to write home about either outside of a few players

If I had to choose, I would def choose Florida to play in the 1st rd. I also think the revenge factor from last year would play a huge part as well. I think we're built heavier to play Florida.

If Bobrovsky decides to go ballistic, then that's a different problem

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I really think Florida is lowkey overrated. Not that they're bad but I do think they are overrated. Their defense isn't anything to write home about either outside of a few players

If I had to choose, I would def choose Florida to play in the 1st rd. I also think the revenge factor from last year would play a huge part as well. I think we're built heavier to play Florida.

If Bobrovsky decides to go ballistic, then that's a different problem
Fans always seem to either vastly underrate or vastly overrate opponents. I think the truth when it comes to Boston/Florida/Toronto is that it's probably a coin flip between all three of them.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Neither team will be easy is a desirable opponent for any team and Leafs will be the underdog in both cases.

I would prefer Boston though, very slightly, because they don't have a Barkov shadowing Matthews like Florida does. I also see Florida as a heavier, nastier team overall (that may be pure perception though) which means a long, grueling series that could lead to a few Leafs missing games.

In either case, I don't like the Leafs chances for so many obvious reasons. If, big if, they can come out in game one like they did vs. the Oilers Saturday night and - this is the key - maintain that over the entire series, then they have a legit chance. But given their clear preference to elevate their game like that in very brief spurts before resorting back to dangling, turnover-prone pond hockey I'm not confident.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I've never placed a bet in my life but it does feel like free money if I were to wager against the Leafs in round 1. Our team is completely unserious in our own end, bad special teams, "defense by committee" is a term our GM used which is a euphemism for not good enough, history of our top players getting outplayed by the other teams top players whether it's Florida or Columbus.

I can already see us taking a 2 goal lead into the 3rd period and there is no chance we lock a game down.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fans always seem to either vastly underrate or vastly overrate opponents. I think the truth when it comes to Boston/Florida/Toronto is that it's probably a coin flip between all three of them.

I feel like Florida is currently overutilizing Bob. He’s lost 5 in a row and played in 5 of the last 6. Which is very different than when Lyon temporarily stole his job down the stretch and started the first round. If he’s not fresh going into the playoffs then Florida becomes more human.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
These Leafs look more and more like 2023 TFC, top heavy, inconsistent effort, bad defence.
I cannot see them surviving a series unless they play run and gun and get A+ goaltending.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've never placed a bet in my life but it does feel like free money if I were to wager against the Leafs in round 1. Our team is completely unserious in our own end, bad special teams, "defense by committee" is a term our GM used which is a euphemism for not good enough, history of our top players getting outplayed by the other teams top players whether it's Florida or Columbus.

I can already see us taking a 2 goal lead into the 3rd period and there is no chance we lock a game down.

In a 7 game series I think we are capable of playing 1-2 perfect games. But there’s going to be a no show game. A scoring fest party game. And a lot of up and down filler trash.

Psychologically this Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Rielly is fundamentally a very immature team despite their age. Let’s just call it what it is.

They struggle to stay in a team concept vs disorganized individual play, struggle with motivation to play the easy games. Struggle with motivation to stay in the very hard games. Can play a perfect game, but will most definitely let up and just play like trash as a follow up. They are who they are.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
if Boston were a weaker team than us you might have a complaint, but they are a better team and currently have beaten us 6 straight. Only in a fluke do we beat them. So if we don’t get flukey fire everybody? lol!

Panthers are also a better team than us but we play better against them, maybe we stand a chance there.

The argument to fire everybody from the coaching staff is they seem incapable of implementing a serious program from top to bottom that doesn’t struggle with consistency, motivation, work ethic, leadership, details every single week with big ups and downs in quality. It wouldn’t be because of the Boston series or Florida series but just cumulative failure.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is it too late to fire Keefe because he is not part of the solution. Six years in and the team is making the same mistakes. Sorry these guys are not "serious" about winning a cup.

If the Bruins are determined to redeem themselves after last year's loss to Florida, Leafs are done. I just do not see them being more determined than Boston to redeem themselves after last year's playoff loss to Florida. Not to mention CBJ and Habs. Only hope is Tre's additions can bring the 3 amighost's into the fight.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
In a 7 game series I think we are capable of playing 1-2 perfect games. But there’s going to be a no show game. A scoring fest party game. And a lot of up and down filler trash.

Psychologically this Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Rielly is fundamentally a very immature team despite their age. Let’s just call it what it is.

They struggle to stay in a team concept vs disorganized individual play, struggle with motivation to play the easy games. Struggle with motivation to stay in the very hard games. Can play a perfect game, but will most definitely let up and just play like trash as a follow up. They are who they are.
Very well said.

We are capable of perfect games and we are also capable of miracles that are an absolute high to see unfold. These are memories I hardly remember because of the end result but we've pulled some all time great comebacks that really make you believe. We had a miracle against the Blue Jackets where we scored 3 goals in five minutes then the winner in OT if I remember correctly, and the one last year against the Bolts I actually have already forgotten the context entirely but it was similar and impressive. The momentum however, doesn't carry into the next game nor the series. They don't end up being turning points.

If we had a better regular season and actually competed to win the division to face the WC2 team, that matchup could've built some confidence, success, etc. That team is currently looking like Washington or Detroit. The fact that we weren't even competitive to win 1st is the East is really disappointing with a 60 goal scorer and the core in their prime, Nylander with a career year, etc. Instead we get swept by Boston, lose games to Chicago, Habs, and Ottawa.

We should get some pretty entertaining games from 1-4. I have a lot of concerns about games 5-7 regarding that immaturity.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'm not sure I've ever read a better summary of what this team is. Well done!

Reactions: HolyCrap

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Does it really matter who their first round opponent is?

They've already lost to everybody. To some of them multiple times. Even if by some miracle they get past the first round they're just gonna get demolished in the second.

WSH, BOS, BOS, CLB, MTL, TBL, FLA

From the best to the worst to the best again. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. The result stays the same.

Out-coached, out-goalied, out-worked, out-played, and out-scored.

No wonder fans are so pessimistic. A dismal past, present, and future will do that. Nobody in their right mind seriously thinks this team is gonna get past either Florida or Boston.

Let alone beat them both.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Nobody in their right mind seriously thinks this team is gonna get past either Florida or Boston.

Me RN:
1711560799224.png

Reactions: Confucius

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

John Madden said it best.

"Sometimes when you have 3, it really means you have none"

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Does it really matter who their first round opponent is?

They've already lost to everybody. To some of them multiple times. Even if by some miracle they get past the first round they're just gonna get demolished in the second.

From the best to the worst to the best again. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. The result stays the same.

No wonder fans are so pessimistic. A dismal past, present, and future will do that. Nobody in their right mind seriously thinks this team is gonna get past either Florida or Boston.

Exactly, if we did it would be a fluke which doesn’t really change just how good we are. Fans losing their minds after losing is the real weird part, like they actually expect to win.

The Montreal loss and even the Columbus loss, I can see getting bummed out over. The rest even the so close almost had it losses, the opponent still was the better team. Had we won any of those series, I could understand their fans being triggered.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Not against Florida, many thought that would be a easy win.

We have been underdogs but thought the other team was the underdogs. And playing like it. Not realy buying into the underdog mindset.

It is good to belive in yourself, but better to be realistic.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I guess we’re cheering for Boston tonight? Which is gross. But a Tampa win brings them only two points back of the Leafs with a game in hand for us after tonight. Thats getting to close for comfort.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Does it rey matallter who their first round opponent is?

No. It's why I don't care if they drop into a WC spot. Bruins, rags, cats or canes makes no difference at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad