Leafs’ first round opponent: Boston (who tanked for us)

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
The Leafs are getting swept in the first round. Trash goaltending, and Matthews and company vanish in the playoffs. I don’t see them winning a game.

It is going to be a sweep, with them getting shut out a few games.
I don't have any faith in them but I doubt they get swept. Skill wise they can compete with those teams. It's just in the will department that we fall well short of them.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Give me Boston any day, I like the Leafs chances there.
I don't think they have much chance against Florida.
We can beat either one. We have 3 huge offensive players, superior to the top 3 of either team, especially Boston.
BUT, can they, will they, play with the speed , drive and fearlessness needed to scare the poop out of the d of these teams.
I am old enough to recall how great offensive players like Keon, Pocket Richard, Bossey, Gretzky, Kurri, Yzerman, Gilmore never slowed during the playoffs, never paused at the blueline, didn't need to be tough fighters, just fearless, just determined, stitched, sore, bruised but winners.
AM does not need to be Bryan Trottier, or Messier, he needs to be AM at full speed. If he can, if the others can, we can be Champs, or close to it.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Boston and Florida play a more aggressive and heavy style of forecheck and make you fight like hell for the middle of the ice. Our core has consistently shown that when the game is played that way, they will just stick to the perimeter and kill clock.

On top of that, we have a tendency to get goalied hard in the POs. I can easily see Swayman/ulmark and of course Bob doing that to this group.
Can say the same about Canes, Tampa, Isles and Rangers as well then. So I guess the only team Leafs match up well against that's currently in the playoffs is Philly?

Out of the East the only team that I think is a bad matchup for Toronto is Carolina, but that's just me. We'll see how this goes who knows who's right.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
So many Leafs fans have some type of "battered wife syndrome"
*not to make light of the term because no man should EVER hurt a women. PERIOD.

Victim mentality gets you nowhere though in life or hockey 🏒

But as you believe, you shall achieve

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We were out quick against Florida but outside of Game 3 every game was pretty close. Bobrovsky going off and costly mistakes damned the Leafs but we were right there with them most of the series. Not saying playing agains them would be easy or we should be expected to win but I don’t think the Leafs should be expected to get swept against them.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
So many Leafs fans have some type of "battered wife syndrome" lmao

Victim mentality gets you nowhere in life or hockey 🏒

But as you believe, you shall achieve
Wouldn't battered wife syndrome apply to those who are constantly kicked in the groin by those they love and keep believing they will change?

Reactions: TMLife17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matchups don’t matter anymore. The Leafs are a veteran team and winning a playoff round vs a stronger team or a higher seed or a rival or upsetting one or two teams is more or less standard business in the NHL. There is no clear and ideal path to a championship if have a cowardly heart and there’s no red carpet for you either. Get the job done. Or don’t.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Wouldn't battered wife syndrome apply to those who are constantly kicked in the groin by those they love and keep believing they will change?

Every year is a new year brotha'... when you dwell and draw from the negative past it will ALWAYS manifest into your future... it's part of the 'Laws of Attraction'
*great book by the way

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Every year is a new year brotha'... when you dwell and draw from the negative past it will ALWAYS manifest into your future... it's part of the 'Laws of Attraction'
*great book by the way
You can believe whatever you like but it will have no bearing on an outcome you have no control over.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It doesn't matter who it is. Just bring it!

4df79354427ec26afceaf63b39d049deffdea722.gif

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbh I don’t really like our chances against either

I think we have a better chance at beating boston

Losing to florida would be easier to stomach imo. Boston would sweep us in series’s in the 2000’s. I’d rather have two dads than a superdad

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
this thread assumes that we are not sellers at the deadline, and that the idea of selling Domi/Bertuzzi for 2 x 2nd round picks is dead.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Florida is still 1st in the division, and Boston remains our most likely opponent.
A thread like this is premature anyway.

No Florida is 2nd .

But this actually shows your constant abuse of any sheet you can find. Actual points are more than point% :).

Go tell NHL.COM that Bruins are not 1st in the league right now, because they got it wrong !

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Tbh I don’t really like our chances against either

I think we have a better chance at beating boston

Losing to florida would be easier to stomach imo. Boston would sweep us in series’s in the 2000’s. I’d rather have two dads than a superdad
Loser mentality... Boston is an empire falling and Florida is WAAAAAAAY overrated 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Prefer losing to florida. Their fan base isn't large enough to troll us.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Matchups don’t matter anymore. The Leafs are a veteran team and winning a playoff round vs a stronger team or a higher seed or a rival or upsetting one or two teams is more or less standard business in the NHL. There is no clear and ideal path to a championship if have a cowardly heart and there’s no red carpet for you either. Get the job done. Or don’t.

I would argue Oilers' path looks fancy !

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yup I think the formula is if he wins a round he'll be back in September but on a short leash. Wins more than 1 round he will be around for next playoff run. Lose in the first round axed before the draft.
This is accurate

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Florida is super aggressive. Would be a nightmare.

This. It sucks to play Florida in the 1st round.

I'd love play them in SCF ! They way they play, you know they'll be beat up by the time they get there. 1st round they'll be bad matchup for anyone.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs
PromisedLand reminds us how the Big4 underwhelmed vs Panthers last year

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We were out quick against Florida but outside of Game 3 every game was pretty close. Bobrovsky going off and costly mistakes damned the Leafs but we were right there with them most of the series. Not saying playing agains them would be easy or we should be expected to win but I don’t think the Leafs should be expected to get swept against them.

IMO stupidity and our high AAV players crapping the bed cost us the series against panthers

This is what I recall

Game 1

- Marner, Tavares, Nylander (Zero points)
- McCabe/Brodie pairing was run over
- BoxScore

Game 2
- We had a 2-0 lead and then...
- Matthews/Marner playing fancy bullshit in the d-zone allowed Florida to get back
- Matthews/Marner (1 point), Tavares/Nylander (zero points)
- McCabe/Brodie pairing run over again
BoxScore

Game 3 (we had to win this and Leafs played the most SHIT trash to start from what I recall)
- Matthews/Marner/Tavares (Zero points), Nylander 1 point
- Mcabe/Brodie pairing was run over again
- Leafs lose in OT
- Leafs are already down 3-0 in the series already, not easy to comeback from this
BoxScore

Game 4 - Leafs win and avoid getting swept

Game 5 (elimination game)

- Matthews/Marner (zero points), Willy 1 goal, Tavares 1 asist
- Leafs lost in OT
- Woll with a .946% outing (Gudas the pos yelling at his face)
BoxScore

Basically if you look at it in the losing efforts

Tavares and Marner total output: 1 point in 4 games
Matthews and Willy total output: 2 points in 4 games

Leafs aren't winning many series if our "top guys" shit the bed and play perimeter hockey killing the clock when center ice is clogged and there is not much time and space.

Bottom Line
For Leafs to have any success in the post season the 3 amigos and Tavares at 11 AAV MUST produce. No way around it! I am in 100% agreement with Treliving. The answers MUST come from the locker room. Any additions at TDL are for some help not to change the outlook or dynamic of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad