The Star: Leafs’ Kessel not hot on Spott’s breakout strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Bottom line is I'm not going to invest emotion/time into something where half the quotes are from random people who took the lecture in various ways from numerous perspectives. A star winger is upset about losing time with the puck, call the cops!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
15lbs overweight??? If he cant commit to getting in shape and staying in shape, ship him out.

I'll admit, I'm not as concerned about Kessel's fitness level so much as his cowardice and selfishness on the ice.

I'd rather see him be fat and play with heart than him being in good shape but the same soft, selfish, goal-suck.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well I can't see this article painting Phil as anything but not positive.

Not a pretty depiction if true, and something tells me, Phil would have the sway to go against a coach's strategy.

If Kovy can play on Deboer's teams, Phil should take a note, and play on a Spott coached team. No one player is bigger than the team.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Bottom line is I'm not going to invest emotion/time into something where half the quotes are from random people who took the lecture in various ways from numerous perspectives. A star winger is upset about losing time with the puck, call the cops!

That's not even close.

Kessel would rather park his ass on the blue line and cherry pick with the hope of scoring as if that's the only thing in hockey that matters.

Kessel doesn't really care whether the Leafs' defence, center, and goalie are getting absolutely worked in their zone.

Kessel cares about one thing and one thing only, even strength.

Rushing.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Actually that is exactly what the article is referencing. Everything else you wrote was fluff added on.

He'd have more time with the puck and more chances to score if he did his job and helped his team get the puck out of their zone.

If he's just floating around the blueline (like he's been doing since he got here), we may as well be playing short-handed.

Because last I checked, all 5 of the players on the other team are working their hardest to keep the puck in our end whereas we only have 4 players working their hardest to get the puck out of ours.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He'd have more time with the puck and more chances to score if he did his job and helped his team get the puck out of their zone.

Nobody said anything about Kessel being opposed to that. This is about the breakout once they have control of the puck..

Spott said in his presentation that he and Kessel ultimately reached a compromise. According to attendees, Spott explained his original strategy like so. With the Leafs moving the puck out of their zone up the left boards, the scheme called for Kessel, the right winger, to speed across the blue line toward the left wing — thus pushing back the opposing defenceman

Again everything from a random person's perspective. A different one for each quote as it would appear. Tough to come to stable conclusions.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Spott can't possibly be stupid enough to yap about this in public before the training camp even starts. Let alone identifying Kessel by name.

Unless Feschuk called Kessel's mom and asked her what her son thought of coaches?

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
That's not even close.

Kessel would rather park his ass on the blue line and cherry pick with the hope of scoring as if that's the only thing in hockey that matters.

Kessel doesn't really care whether the Leafs' defence, center, and goalie are getting absolutely worked in their zone.

Kessel cares about one thing and one thing only, even strength.

Rushing.

Pretty much sounds like Spotts breakout plan was for Kessel to cherry pick:dunno:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nobody said anything about Kessel being opposed to that. This is about the breakout once they have control of the puck..

Actually that's exactly what is suggested.

Kessel being opposed to helping break the puck out in an organized fashion instead favoring cross-rink and lob passes with him cheating on the right side.

More of the same minus-style hockey that we've been so accustomed to here in Toronto.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Actually that's exactly what is suggested.

Kessel being opposed to helping break the puck out in an organized fashion instead favoring cross-rink and lob passes with him cheating on the right side.

Spott's design (from the account of minor league coaches) has him doing exactly what you're talking about, just on the other side of the ice.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Spott can't possibly be stupid enough to yap about this in public before the training camp even starts. Let alone identifying Kessel by name.

Unless Feschuk called Kessel's mom and asked her what her son thought of coaches?
This. What a joke of an article.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pretty much sounds like Spotts breakout plan was for Kessel to cherry pick:dunno:

That wasn't my interpretation.

If Leafs are in their own zone and while trying to get the puck out Kessel skates from the right wing boards in front of the oppositions LD pulling him out of position to cover Kessel as he heads for the left side and leaves a open route out of zone along the boards.

Essentially Kessel becomes a decoy to create a lane, instead of in the past where he was the target of long breakout passes up the right side.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Sounds like something a reporter with something against an organization would write to create unnecessary turmoil before the season starts. I mean, what's the point of even publishing garbage like this? I'm guessing it gets him some additional air time on TSN radio and he feels like a big shot. The rest of the weasels like Simmons and Arthur should be quite jealous.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I call BS mainly because the article said that Spott fully acknowledged Kessel has more job security yet risked his job to call him out to minor league coaches... Doesn't add up

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
That wasn't my interpretation.

If Leafs are in their own zone and while trying to get the puck out Kessel skates from the right wing boards in front of the oppositions LD pulling him out of position to cover Kessel as he heads for the left side and leaves a open route out of zone along the boards.

Essentially Kessel becomes a decoy to create a lane, instead of in the past where he was the target of long breakout passes up the right side.

Different interpretations I guess. I like my interpretation. Bure used sit at the other teams blue line and he took half the other team with him. It sure alleviates the pressure in your own zone and your not really losing much defence because Kessel can't play defence anyway. Also if he crosses to the other side it confuses teams and gives the Leafs a strong side. That's my interpretation of Spotts plan

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Just reeks of some hack journalist trying to benefit from TL's recent comments. Just such a ******** article.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Are people really that desperate to **** on Kessel that they are using an article that basically highlights a strategy discussion between player and coach as an indication of poor character?

You really think it's bad character for a top 10 winger to be discussing breakouts with a coach and having a difference of opinion? This isn't peewee hockey folks, these players are professionals and they're supposed to work with coaches, not just follow every order, especially when the player in question is a PPG sniper.

Ps. this was the hack that called Reimers mother for an injury update...and I'd say this article lost any shred of credibility it had when it mentioned Kessel's weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad