The Star: Leafs’ Kessel not hot on Spott’s breakout strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The first thing to look for is a source willing to have their name tied to an article. You're welcome.

Ah, so when BobM says the source wishes to remain anon, I should call him a liar? Does this also apply to the whistleblowers in govt, victims of sexual abuse, ect?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Ah, so when BobM says the source wishes to remain anon, I should call him a liar? Does this also apply to the whistleblowers in govt, victims of sexual abuse, ect?

Nothing quite so dramatic. There is journalism, and then there's sports journalism.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can someone explain to me what to read? it seems the same guy can write something everyone agrees with and that makes him a good writer, but when something like this gets written and it's lies. Can I have a decoder ring too?

Read or believe only positive things concerning the Leafs and what their marketing/PR staff want you to like.

And don't read or believe negative things concerning the Leafs and what their marketing/PR staff don't want you to like.

It has nothing to do with choosing which article to like or hate based on what's written. I can't speak for anyone else but I sure as hell won't believe some third rated source and a journalist that has shady reporting on his record all ready.

Being skeptical of the media isn't a bad thing.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Nothing quite so dramatic. There is journalism, and then there's sports journalism.

Of course there is, and I certainly shouldn't have been so dramatic in hindsite, but, whenever there's been use of sources who didn't wish to have their name revealed by BobM, no one has questioned it, until now, when no one wants to believe the story could be true. Why do I have this suspicion that had the story been one of Leaf love, no one would have batted an eye?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Several sources choose to remain anonymous, but they want me to tell you your comparison to world politics is beyond ridiculous.

You know where "unnamed sources" are most found? Tabloids. And sometimes even those people get sued for libel.

Bob never uses unnamed sources for anything other than speculation. He never presents it as a fact.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's been a long summer, not surprising to see some journalists starting to grasp at straws to write a story on the eve of training camp ... Hearing through someone what Kessel may have said to a coach on the ice is reaching a bit IMO

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This line made me laugh. What credibility!

“Spotter said that when he went to Phil (with the breakout play), Phil said, I’m not doing it,†said one of the attendees, a former professional player.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It has nothing to do with choosing which article to like or hate based on what's written. I can't speak for anyone else but I sure as hell won't believe some third rated source and a journalist that has shady reporting on his record all ready.

Being skeptical of the media isn't a bad thing.

When was the last time the Leafs attacked Feschuk's reporting?

Oh right. I remember.

When he got the inside scoop from Reimer's family concerning his ongoing history with concussions...which completely contradicted what the Leafs organization was saying at the time.

Almost forgot about how deceptive the Leafs brass can be at times. Must have been that "whiplash" I suffered.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
isn't this the same reporter who went to Reimer's mum to see if he really had a concussion?

I just think.... I find it hard to believe that Spott, who has his first job in the NHL with the team he grew up cheering for and everything (his words) would go to this clinic and just spill the beans about everything regarding the Leafs star player.

ESPECIALLY when in August he said HE wants to be the guy the players come to and create a safe haven (his words), and that confidentially and things reported between the coach and player should remain private.

So. it's hard to correlate that Steve Spott with the Steve Spott that Feschuk wrote basically spilling all the beans.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
LOL. This is too hilarious.

Feel bad for Phil. He's going to get unfairly criticized now because of the hacks of the Toronto media.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Several sources choose to remain anonymous, but they want me to tell you your comparison to world politics is beyond ridiculous.

You know where "unnamed sources" are most found? Tabloids. And sometimes even those people get sued for libel.

Bob never uses unnamed sources for anything other than speculation. He never presents it as a fact.

So I should take BobM with a grain of salt? The point is, the reason anyone has a problem with him using unnamed sources in this case is because it doesn't paint a rosy picture for you. If the story had been about Spott and Kessel getting along great and everyone loving each other, no one would have said a thing about it.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
When was the last time the Leafs attacked Feschuk's reporting?

Oh right. I remember.

When he got the inside scoop from Reimer's family concerning his ongoing history with concussions...which completely contradicted what the Leafs organization was saying at the time.

Almost forgot about how deceptive the Leafs brass can be at times. Must have been that "whiplash" I suffered.

She didn't have an issue with it, the Leafs did. In what world does doing background with family members turn a reporter into an *******? Every news agency does it. Every. Single. One.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
So I should take BobM with a grain of salt? The point is, the reason anyone has a problem with him using unnamed sources in this case is because it doesn't paint a rosy picture for you. If the story had been about Spott and Kessel getting along great and everyone loving each other, no one would have said a thing about it.

Nothing about this smells to you? Aside from the lack of any source, why would Spott spill inside information to lowly minor hockey coaches? Why damage his own career before it even starts? Why would he incriminate his new boss, Carlyle? Nobody comes out of this article looking good but Feschuk.

They don't speculate on good things because it doesn't sell. These people are a real market and they see this kind of thing as cat nip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
“Spott said Carlyle’s attitude was that we’re fired before (Kessel is) out of here, the hierarchy doesn’t want to deal with Phil. He scores 30 (goals) a year and that’s all they want,†said one of the attendees. “(Spott said) Phil hates coaches. He hates Randy. He hates me and I don’t even know him yet.â€

This lines up with TL's comments about some guys terrible character and great stats.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
This lines up with TL's comments about some guys terrible character and great stats.

WOW. What a coincidence! It's almost like some hack reporter saw an opportunity to make up a bunch of stuff knowing that his tabloid-level gossip would get soaked up in Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Relax. Nonis will clear this up. Wonder how he will explain this one? Deny it happened , it was a misquote, it was a misunderstanding, the possibilities just don't end there.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's odd calling a coach by his nick name in an article. Lol, Spotter.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
LOL. This is too hilarious.

Feel bad for Phil. He's going to get unfairly criticized now because of the hacks of the Toronto media.

Dont really think so. If Phil does what he does, then who cares? If he doesnt...then its a different story.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Nothing about this smells to you? Aside from the lack of any source, why would Spott spill inside information to lowly minor hockey coaches? Why damage his own career before it even starts? Why would he incriminate his new boss, Carlyle? Nobody comes out of this article looking good but Feschuk.

They don't speculate on good things because it doesn't sell. These people are a real market and they see this kind of thing as cat nip.

Personally? I don't care. The problem I have is the inability of anyone here to take the bad with the good. Something nice is written. Has to be true. Something inflammatory. Lies. BobM uses sources. True. This guy, who by the way, hasn't written anything bad before as far as I can tell. Lies. Should he have named the guys who told him this, or do you think he wrote it in his mom's basement and there are no sources? If the sources were actually present and they all said about the same thing, that's 3 of them. Should he have not written it because you don't/won't like it? Who cares what you like. What's his job again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad