The Star: Leafs’ Kessel not hot on Spott’s breakout strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star, Maple Leafs assistant Steve Spott told a coaches’ clinic that:

- He was charged with devising a new breakout play for a team that has long struggled to get the puck out of its own end. Spott thought he’d hit on an effective strategy — until, that is, he shared the plan with Leafs leading scorer Phil Kessel. When Kessel voiced displeasure.

- Phil Kessel is one of the smartest hockey minds he’s worked with. Spott also marvelled at how Kessel — who Spott estimated during the lecture is “15 pounds overweight†— remains an explosive speedster.

- the team’s search for better defensive play will see them strongly discourage defencemen from making high-risk keep-in plays at the opposing blue line — pinching, in the parlance. Spott said that Toronto’s defencemen will be instructed to “never trust a forward†to backcheck or cover.

- the Leafs need to improve communication with the AHL Marlies. While the NHL team and its top minor-league affiliate conduct practices in rinks separated by the lobby of their Etobicoke training facility, Spott said there wasn’t enough synergy between the clubs last season; their Xs and Os on power plays and penalty kills, for instance, differed. Since the Leafs have repeatedly spoken of the importance of developing players through the minors, Spott said it would make more sense for the Marlies to mimic the game plan of the Leafs.

- As for the breakout play, Spott said in his presentation that he and Kessel ultimately reached a compromise. According to attendees, Spott explained his original strategy like so. With the Leafs moving the puck out of their zone up the left boards, the scheme called for Kessel, the right winger, to speed across the blue line toward the left wing — thus pushing back the opposing defenceman who, in previous seasons, has too often stymied the Toronto breakout by keeping the puck in. Spott told the clinic that Kessel didn’t like the idea; the player prefers the strategy of staying closer to the right wing awaiting the kind of cross-ice pass that would put him in a foot race with the opposing team’s left defenceman.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs..._hot_on_spotts_breakout_strategy_feschuk.html

In the days after Steve Spott landed a job as a rookie assistant coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs in July, he was tasked with a bevy of responsibilities by head coach Randy Carlyle.

Among them, Spott was charged with devising a new breakout play for a team that has long struggled to get the puck out of its own end. Spott thought he’d hit on an effective strategy — until, that is, he shared the plan with Leafs leading scorer Phil Kessel. When Kessel voiced displeasure, Spott discovered a harsh reality of life in the NHL. In some corners of the league, and apparently in Leafland, a coach’s learning curve involves bending to the desires of star players.

At least, such was the gist of an anecdote Spott shared at a coaches’ clinic at which he was a guest speaker last month, this according to interviews with three minor-hockey coaches who were in attendance.

“Spotter said that when he went to Phil (with the breakout play), Phil said, I’m not doing it,†said one of the attendees, a former professional player.

Said another: “Spott was saying (that) these are the things I’ve got to deal with now that I’ve never had to deal with. In the AHL (where Spott coached last season with the Toronto Marlies), when you’re the coach what you say goes. Whereas now that I’m here (in the NHL), I’ve got a guy telling me: No. I’m not going to do that.â€

The 46-year-old Spott told the group that he made Carlyle aware of the pushback he’d received from Kessel, 26, who signed an eight-year contract extension worth about $64 million last season.

“Spott said Carlyle’s attitude was that we’re fired before (Kessel is) out of here, the hierarchy doesn’t want to deal with Phil. He scores 30 (goals) a year and that’s all they wa,†said one of the attendees. “(Spott said) Phil hates coaches. He hates Randy. He hates me and I don’t even know him yet.â€

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The season hasn't even started and the Leafs drama is rolling out.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
lol. I don't know but I laughed pretty hard at this. If the Marlies follow the Leafs game plan, there'll be more golfers. Maybe MLSE should buy a course and charge hockey players 100x more to play on it.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Its an organization in constant turmoil. It never seems to stop. As a result success here is more difficult than in most other centres.

Is Kessel really 15 pounds overweight?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not at all surprising.

I think it's nigh time the media and fans start holding these supposed "star" players to the same standards as the coaches.

Good for Spott for making more people aware of how unbelievably selfish of a player Kessel is.

Hope this is a wakeup call for others, too.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
It's the same story with Kessel everywhere he goes, and whoever coaches him. He's not an easy man to please it seems, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded after he has another good season where the leafs don't make the playoffs. It's not easy to coach if your best player doesn't buy it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Maybe this is what Lieweke was referring to? :help:

Personally, I wouldn't take his opinion on some one else character seriously. This is guy who effectively submarined his own organization on his way out the door. Classy :help:

On the subject of the thread; This is why I laugh when I see Friedman or any one else say "There are harder places to play in Canada" Frankly articles like this, This early in the season are ridiculous. Also, Since when is Steve Spott the second coming of Viktor Tikhonov? This is the same guy who put Ryan Murphy and Morgan Rielly together as a D pairing at the WJC.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It's the same story with Kessel everywhere he goes, and whoever coaches him. He's not an easy man to please it seems, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded after he has another good season where the leafs don't make the playoffs. It's not easy to coach if your best player doesn't buy it.

Players that don't buy into playing a team game don't belong on the team. Period.

Boston understood this full-well, sent him packing (we of course being the unlucky recipients), and won a Cup soon after.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is all from a secondhand source -- some random "attendee" that's not named. Wow, what a source, A+ journalism.

Players that don't buy into playing a team game don't belong on the team. Period.

Boston understood this full-well, sent him packing (we of course being the unlucky recipients), and won a Cup soon after.

Correlation and causation are the same thing.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Can someone explain to me what to read? it seems the same guy can write something everyone agrees with and that makes him a good writer, but when something like this gets written and it's lies. Can I have a decoder ring too?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Can someone explain to me what to read? it seems the same guy can write something everyone agrees with and that makes him a good writer, but when something like this gets written and it's lies. Can I have a decoder ring too?

The first thing to look for is a source willing to have their name tied to an article. You're welcome.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Yes this is why Boston won the cup....The random Kessel hate really does flow really well here.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Read or believe only positive things concerning the Leafs and what their marketing/PR staff want you to like.

And don't read or believe negative things concerning the Leafs and what their marketing/PR staff don't want you to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad