The Star: Leafs’ Kessel not hot on Spott’s breakout strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't really understand the uproar here:

Feschuk may or may not be a *******, sensationalist reporter who resorts to tabloid style journalism, but is it really that surprising to hear that a) the inmates run the asylum on a team plagued with constant criticism of their character b) that Phil Kessel prefers the stretch play instead of going back to support the D and c) the rookie assistant coach gets overruled? It's not like Claude Julien, Ron Wilson or Randy Carlyle have ever succeeded converting Kessel into something he isn't.

It's possible that we have a dirtbag reporter and a dysfunctional team at the same time.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't really understand the uproar here:

Feschuk may or may not be a *******, sensationalist reporter who resorts to tabloid style journalism, but is it really that surprising to hear that a) the inmates run the asylum on a team plagued with constant criticism of their character b) that Phil Kessel prefers the stretch play instead of going back to support the D and c) the rookie assistant coach gets overruled? It's not like Claude Julien, Ron Wilson or Randy Carlyle have ever succeeded converting Kessel into something he isn't.

It's possible that we have a dirtbag reporter and a dysfunctional team at the same time.

We know for sure we have a dysfunctional team based on results.....the reporter being a dirt bag is still being decided.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I hate to say this but the fact that Spott hasn't denied this yet makes it kind of plausible.

Leafspoison*

sticking to my prediction of leafs bottom 3.

To much drama and crap in leaf land.

and it continues....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We know for sure we have a dysfunctional team based on results.....the reporter being a dirt bag is still being decided.

I think of it as one big cesspool...

With regards to Kessel, he's a special player. And I think the trouble is this organization treats him like one.

A good rule of thumb is Phil Kessel is going to score a similar number of goals as the Leafs will post wins and we will have about as many points in the standings as Kessel has points. So budget for 30 odd and 80 odd.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Just a thought. Perhaps Spott and the other coaches including Carlyle have been given the green light to speak more openly to the public. There was some talk after the 2 assistants coaches were hired that they would be speaking more often to the press than did their recently departed predecessors. Part of the new culture of accountability and accomplishment Shanny hopes to introduce? Again just putting this out there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just a thought. Perhaps Spott and the other coaches including Carlyle have been given the green light to speak more openly to the public. There was some talk after the 2 assistants coaches were hired that they would be speaking more often to the press than did their recently departed predecessors. Part of the new culture of accountability and accomplishment Shanny hopes to introduce? Again just putting this out there.

I could see that. Let the public see behind the veil of the Leafs dressing room.

In any event, I think they're all on a short leash this season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I suppose calling the Reimer residence wasn't enough to prove it?

No his job is to report and when you fail to get an answer to a real easy question you look for other sources. If reporting the truth makes him a dirt bag in your eyes then I guess he is. In my eyes he reported the truth something Burke refused to do!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are Leafs fans for real? Take a step back and reassess this craziness. The problem isn't Kessel. The problem is some of the stuff around Kessel, including the coaching staff. Any team in the league would be die to have Kessel...we'll take him gladly

And you can have him for the right price.

Kyle Doobas*

Seems like an odd thing to just make up entirely, but meh. If it's at all true, I don't imagine Kessel will be a part of the opening night roster in 2015. Plenty o' faith in Shanny + Dubas.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Here is the interesting part:

Kessel, when asked this week if he had discussed breakout plays with Spott during the off-season, said he didn’t recall the conversation. Spott didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment for this article.

Wondering how this will play out and the damage control that will be used to defend or refute. Maybe they will do nothing. One thing we can be certain about is that Spott will not be running his mouth any more.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Seems like an odd thing to just make up entirely, but meh. If it's at all true, I don't imagine Kessel will be a part of the opening night roster in 2015. Plenty o' faith in Shanny + Dubas.

Well now the onus is on Shanny, he said the team needed a culture change and now that this is public does he take action?

We will see if he only talks the talk....

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
they should let kessel play whatever style he wants. let him float around... if the other team tries to take advantage of that, then Kessel should be open and we just have to get him the puck.

i don't think that every line should necessarily play the same style. what works for kessel and bozak is not going to work for guys like Komorov and Clarkson.

though it sounds like this story is trying to make a big deal out of nothing. i'm sure there's a lot of back and forth that goes on when they discuss strategy and what not.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
they should let kessel play whatever style he wants. let him float around... if the other team tries to take advantage of that, then Kessel should be open and we just have to get him the puck.

i don't think that every line should necessarily play the same style. what works for kessel and bozak is not going to work for guys like Komorov and Clarkson.

though it sounds like this story is trying to make a big deal out of nothing. i'm sure there's a lot of back and forth that goes on when they discuss strategy and what not.

That's been the Leafs game plan for a long time though. Usually it works pretty well in October, but by the time the playoff race comes along, other teams just kind of isolate Kessel and run roughshod on the Leafs in their own end.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

So Kessel should be allowed to do just what ever he wants, yet Carlyle is to blame because the system is bad?

The issue with this story is that Kessel said no!

Coaches coach, and players play.....and as soon as a player suggest that he will not do as the coaches wants he should be shipped out!

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
So Kessel should be allowed to do just what ever he wants, yet Carlyle is to blame because the system is bad?

The issue with this story is that Kessel said no!

Coaches coach, and players play.....and as soon as a player suggest that he will not do as the coaches wants he should be shipped out!

Your dealing with men not kids that's not how it works especially with star players who's hockey IQ is off the charts to the point the coach is even out classed... There's a rule if your smart when dealing with gifted players. The Less coaching and detail you try to put into them the better productive player you will get from them when they play off their own instinct. Hard ball detail is for players with no skill that require structure to be effective. With star players you ask 2 things of them. Work ethic to work hard and back check other than that don't try and get in there heads all you do is get in the way of player who plays the game at the level coaches can't teach. Thus when they disagree with something you listen if your a coach.

Try telling Gretzky what to do? You don't coach star level players when the game they know can't be taught. ;)

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Actually that's exactly what is suggested.

Kessel being opposed to helping break the puck out in an organized fashion instead favoring cross-rink and lob passes with him cheating on the right side.

More of the same minus-style hockey that we've been so accustomed to here in Toronto.

Serious question Bomber...

Do you like ANYONE on the Leafs?

Why do you still cheer for this team?

I can't say I've ever seen you post anything positive about anyone on the Leafs or the team in general. I get it, we all get frustrated with the franchise sometimes, but you find a way to spin everything negatively regardless. Why not find another team that better fulfills your your expectations?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Cutting across the blueline also seems like a great way to get decapitated.

Lol, they aren't asking him to cut across the ice with the puck. It's to put pressure on their defense to back off, so the Toronto D, has more options to clear or make a play.

If this was true they should get rid of him in the best deal to be made. Like was said you are not going to win with people not willing to do what ever it takes to win, and people with poison attitudes spread like a disease through dressing rooms at every level of sports.

I would hope this is not the case tho but it wouldn't surprise me if it were tbh. Seems like nothing good ever happens to this team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Your dealing with men not kids that's not how it works especially with star players who's hockey IQ is off the charts to the point the coach is even out classed... There's a rule if your smart when dealing with gifted players. The Less coaching and detail you try to put into them the better productive player you will get from them when they play off their own instinct. Hard ball detail is for players with no skill that require structure to be effective. With star players you ask 2 things of them. Work ethic to work hard and back check other than that don't try and get in there heads all you do is get in the way of player who plays the game at the level coaches can't teach. Thus when they disagree with something you listen if your a coach.

Try telling Gretzky what to do? You don't coach star level players when the game they know can't be taught. ;)

What nonsense.....and by the way Carlyle won a Norris so he was a star player..as well as a Stanley Cup as a coach....

Kessel is a player on a team and as a team all players need to be held accountable to the same level. Giving Kessel a pass on him not listening is a joke....if he was a man like you said he was, he would man up and play a man's game!

What is the need for a coach if players are not required to listen to them?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Lol, they aren't asking him to cut across the ice with the puck. It's to put pressure on their defense to back off, so the Toronto D, has more options to clear or make a play.

If this was true they should get rid of him in the best deal to be made. Like was said you are not going to win with people not willing to do what ever it takes to win, and people with poison attitudes spread like a disease through dressing rooms at every level of sports.

I would hope this is not the case tho but it wouldn't surprise me if it were tbh. Seems like nothing good ever happens to this team.

You obviously know nothing about high level sports and really are tossing things of cliché.

Asking Kessel to skate from one side of the ice to the other without the puck opens what options other than skating himself out of position? You really think the opposition D is going to break from there structure? Having him in motion is better than having him stand still and try to tip the puck out which is why the compromise was made. Kessel his hockey IQ took the idea of a coach and made it better.... That's what having star players is all about.;)

You want to open up the breakout efficiency here's an idea eliminate the shackles from our 2 highly skilled PMD. When I say things like star players play a game that can't be taught that's not BS... There's a fine line between coaching and overcoaching. This game is too fast paced of a game if you eliminate instinct from highly skilled players your effectively eliminating the star from a star level player. That's how Getzlaf turned into a 50 point center;)

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
What nonsense.....and by the way Carlyle won a Norris so he was a star player..as well as a Stanley Cup as a coach....

Kessel is a player on a team and as a team all players need to be held accountable to the same level. Giving Kessel a pass on him not listening is a joke....if he was a man like you said he was, he would man up and play a man's game!

This isn't about listening.. This is about a tactic that a star player disagrees with. That means that something is a miss and the coach SHOULD LISTEN at why that is.

I guess you missed the point in the article where a compromise was made and the coach commented about dealing with such a bright hockey mind in Kessel? Coaches don't know everything those that act like they do and try to micromanage end up without jobs.;) While the article was written with light to stir controversy (SHOCKER) That's what clearly was being stated by Spott at the seminar that sometimes you have to be the one who listens to the players

Like I said you don't coach star level players the game they know can't be taught. If you want to get the STAR level from said player you have to limit the amount coaching you put on them with detail cause it's instinct that separates them from others. They do things that breakaway from structure play

If true Spott has a lot to learn as a coach at this level;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad