LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It'll be very disappointing if he doesn't develop into at least a solid NHL #4.
Not really. Most 5th round picks don't even make it in the NHL. I'll be happy if he becomes a competent and reliable 5-6 guy. He does have top-4 upside though.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not really. Most 5th round picks don't even make it in the NHL. I'll be happy if he becomes a competent and reliable 5-6 guy. He does have top-4 upside though.
Could be wrong but wasn't he picked little lower because of the possibility that he wouldn't come to north america?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could be wrong but wasn't he picked little lower because of the possibility that he wouldn't come to north america?

I think players like Rykov are usually picked lower due to bad scouting. Grigori Dronov is another good example of this. He's yet to be drafted, and I doubt he ever gets drafted. If he can stay on the ice eventually, there will be 31 teams lining up to sign him in a season or two.

If you look at Rykov's production and skill-set, he should've been a second round pick in his draft year. 4 points in 6 games at the WHC17, half a point per game in the MHL in his draft year, two in four games at the Hlinka, captained the Russian WJC18 team. Since he plays in an area that isn't well scouted, I think he wasn't drafted initially and then was a late pick in his second go around in the draft.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This was in a 5-1 loss. He wasn't on the ice for any of this goals.

This was after he made this play yesterday with his team up one goal late in the third to help preserve the win.

Rykov has been really good the last month or two. His defense has improved noticeably under Zubov. It wasn't bad earlier this season, but he's turned into a very good defender. You could see he had high defensive potential with SKA, but he was sheltered, and never got the chance to develop that part of his game.

I don't know why he wasn't selected to the "A" National Team. He's better than a number of defensemen on that team, but maybe he'll get selected next time after he has shown the last two games that he was the best on the "B" National Team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was trying to switch back and forth between this game and Shestyorkin's return, so I didn't see all of this game, but Rykov was tremendous again from what I saw. Sochi had a big comeback to win the game, and Rykov was making plays in all zones.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He’s having a great year. Every time I’ve watched him after moving to Sochi he’s been a stand out on both ends of the ice

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

I've never understood this opinion - he has clearly developed more than your average 5th rounder. Do you not see how expectations can get updated over the years?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
What a turnaround. Struggling for playing time with SKA and now a clear top defender for Sochi.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What a turnaround. Struggling for playing time with SKA and now a clear top defender for Sochi.

I think, SKA stopped relying on him, because he decided to go to NA after this season, it's the only explanation. I mean, he hasn't said anything yet about his future plans, but why did SKA dump a young promising defnder otherwise?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the longer he goes without an extension, the better the chance that he's gone to NA after the season. I think its the same situation for Shestyorkin. There's about two weeks until the playoffs, and both are out of contract. I think both are coming over.

Rykov could be in line for immediate NHL minutes. He's closer to the NHL than Hajek or Lindgren, who might never be good enough to play in the NHL. McQuaid is a UFA, so that opens up at least one spot. But we still have 7 NHL defensemen, besides that. I think they might clear out Smith. He sucks, and shouldn't be taking time from an NHL ready prospect. One of the offensively-inclined RD's could also go. There might be room for Rykov on the NHL team immediately. If not, he should be the first call up in the AHL. I don't see that as a bad option for him. He's going to be the next prospect into the NHL team, if he joins the organization after the season.

If Rykov returns for another KHL season, he opens the door to joining the team at the same time as Miller, Lundkvist and Reunanen. I don't think he's so accomplished that he couldn't use another KHL season, but his game is rounding into NHL ready form towards the end of his KHL contract. He could probably step into the NHL now, and hold his own.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think, SKA stopped relying on him, because he decided to go to NA after this season, it's the only explanation. I mean, he hasn't said anything yet about his future plans, but why did SKA dump a young promising defnder otherwise?
They didn't dump him, they loaned him. Come on Kshahdoo, you weren't born yesterday.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watched some of the game today. He had a couple of really nice breakout passes after making defensive stops that easily could've gotten him assists, but Sochi wasn't able to score on those scoring chances. The whole season I've noticed how good his passing is, but the defense is what has really come along recently.

I know some Ranger fans might disagree, but I think he's our best defensive prospect. I'm also no huge fan of Miller, so I know my opinion is probably in the minority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad