LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
None of this has anything to do with Rykov. Take it to PM's.
Can you calm your tits and stop ordering others around? This is a discussion whom do the Rykov's rights effectively belong to and there is a big difference between it being Sochi and SKA if he doesn't get a satisfying 2nd contract.

If you aren't interested don't read it, as simple as.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
EP lists him at 6’2 205, but the Rangers are listing him at 6’3 225 for development camp, so evidently he’s a lot bigger than the EP listing.

Reactions: QJL

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like he'll start off in the AHL because he sustained an injury during the prospect tournament and probably won't be able to play in preseason. I thought he would've beat out Hajek for a spot on the NHL team, but he can't beat out Hajek if he's injured. The team isn't even listing him in the early on-ice groupings.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Looks like he'll start off in the AHL because he sustained an injury during the prospect tournament and probably won't be able to play in preseason. I thought he would've beat out Hajek for a spot on the NHL team, but he can't beat out Hajek if he's injured. The team isn't even listing him in the early on-ice groupings.

That's unfortunate. Hoped to see him fight for a spot and I liked his chances too.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It is unfortunate in the sense that I really thought he could take our 3LD spot but the silver lining is that it could have been a lot worse. He looked to be in a lot of pain. I also believe the Rangers can't send him down until he is healthy which means he'll be practicing with the team. I think it's Hajek's job to lose now--though Lindgren or Reunanen might push him on it. But anyway to me it's let the best guy in training camp take the job.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds like Pronman might be wrong. The team says he's going to skate tomorrow. The injury is a sprained ankle, so if he's skating after a sprained ankle, he can't be too far away from being able to play.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s supposed to be back this weekend. He missed two and a half months due to an ankle injury.

Pretty unfortunate injury. He had initially gotten injured during the prospect tournament, missed a week or two, returned to team training during training camp, and then in the first training session back from injury suffered another ankle injury. I suspect it was re-aggregating the same ankle injury and it probably was a high ankle sprain or ligament damage, given how long he was out, but there wasn’t any reporting by the Rangers reporters, so we don’t know for sure what happened.

He’s going to play in the AHL, but Hajek and Staal suck, and I think the team is starting to realize that, so he could definitely be called into the NHL team at some point this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven't watched any of his games since coming back from injury. How has he looked? How is he being used?

1 point in 4 games. First three games he was being used on the PK. Yesterday, he was added to the PP, and was great on it. He should’ve been on it since the first game, but I guess they didn’t want to take a guy off before then for a team that’s winning a lot of games.

His puck moving has been excellent. He’s the most skilled player on the team. He creates a lot of good scoring chances and possession opportunities from the backend. He was QB’ing the PP yesterday, and that’s the best I’ve seen it look.

He’s been solid with his 1v1 and positional defending. He’s still adjusting to the new ice when it comes to when to and when not to try to make a fancy zone exit and when to just clear it up the boards. He’s also adjusting to a different style of forechecking where they hit you every time you go back for the puck. He’s been above average. Give it another few weeks, and he’ll be the best player on the team of the skaters.

Reactions: Mr Clutch

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
1 point in 4 games. First three games he was being used on the PK. Yesterday, he was added to the PP, and was great on it. He should’ve been on it since the first game, but I guess they didn’t want to take a guy off before then for a team that’s winning a lot of games.

His puck moving has been excellent. He’s the most skilled player on the team. He creates a lot of good scoring chances and possession opportunities from the backend. He was QB’ing the PP yesterday, and that’s the best I’ve seen it look.

He’s been solid with his 1v1 and positional defending. He’s still adjusting to the new ice when it comes to when to and when not to try to make a fancy zone exit and when to just clear it up the boards. He’s also adjusting to a different style of forechecking where they hit you every time you go back for the puck. He’s been above average. Give it another few weeks, and he’ll be the best player on the team of the skaters.
What do you believe is his ceiling? Like middle pair ld?

Reactions: Fan 4 Life

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
2 points in 5 games now. He's still adjusting a little with learning when and when not to make the simple play. He's made a number of errors so far due to thinking he had more time than he did or not realizing where his teammates would be. I think it's down to the new ice surface. The rest of his game looks very good. He's better right now than Staal and Hajek, but he could benefit from spending the rest of the month in Hartford to adjust to the new ice instead of an instant promotion.

Ceiling is like a good middle pairing defensemen. I don't think its particularly high, but he's already an NHL caliber player and does a lot well. Much better passer and offensive instincts than people think, could be above-average defensively, and he skates well for someone 6'3 205.

Edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fan 4 Life

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nice assist here to Kravtsov. 5 points in 11 games. Second among defensemen on the team in PPG to Keane, but Keane plays on PP1 with AHL Ovechkin, so he gets a lot of free points. Rykov's defense has looked really good the last few games, as well. I'd say a call up should be coming soon. He can't be any worse than what we are icing on the left side of our defense.

Reactions: bl02

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Nice assist here to Kravtsov. 5 points in 11 games. Second among defensemen on the team in PPG to Keane, but Keane plays on PP1 with AHL Ovechkin, so he gets a lot of free points. Rykov's defense has looked really good the last few games, as well. I'd say a call up should be coming soon. He can't be any worse than what we are icing on the left side of our defense.

Rykov has looked good.

Who the heck is AHL Ovechkin a reference to?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rykov has looked good.

Who the heck is AHL Ovechkin a reference to?

Lettieri.

He sets up in the Ovechkin spot on the PP, and the PP is focused on getting him the puck to shoot from distance. AHL goalies have a lot of trouble stopping his shot, as well. I think he's the best overall skater on the team, but his game doesn't translate to the NHL. Watching more AHL games this season, you appreciate how good he is down there. He's the quintessential AAAA player. He'd probably do great in Russia or Sweden.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He also had an assist. He's now at 9 points in 19 games.

Hajek was sent to the AHL in the last week, so we are only operating with 6 defensemen and then the F/D Brendan Smith, whose a regular on our 4th line, as the only other defenseman. If another defenseman is called up, it should be Rykov.

I like his defense, he skates well enough, he's an excellent puck mover with some offensive ability, and he can play all situations. He'd improve our defense. I wouldn't expect too much though. I think he's NHL ready and should be in the NHL now, but it's not as if he's dominating the AHL. He still gets himself into trouble by trying to be too fancy with the puck.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like he’ll play for CSKA next season. We have no defensive depth, so he probably wasn’t far off of playing. But he hadn’t even yet been given any NHL games. He probably wanted a guarantee of playing a full season instead of not taking part in the playoffs and then waiting until December to see if he’d have a chance to make the team. I think it’ll probably be a loan, but we’ll see.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Looks like he’ll play for CSKA next season. We have no defensive depth, so he probably wasn’t far off of playing. But he hadn’t even yet been given any NHL games. He probably wanted a guarantee of playing a full season instead of not taking part in the playoffs and then waiting until December to see if he’d have a chance to make the team. I think it’ll probably be a loan, but we’ll see.

CSKA has lost a ton of players in the offseason. They have suffered the most from the hard cap implementation and some players were just due to move on like Kaprizov. They are patching together a team now in a hurry. That will give Rykov a lot of opportunity to fill into a role.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I remember being bummed when we included him in the Grabner trade. Luckily, it looks like it won't come back to bite us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad