LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Seems like Pavel is looking at stats and boxscores and concludes that since KHL is a very strong league, and Rykov is playing decently for Sochi he is good.

But he doesn't understand how KHL works, the hierarchy of teams.

Also, LOL at Rykov in NT. When he will come back to SKA, and will play there as a regular player, then yes. But from Sochi to World Championships? LMAO. Espescially when the coach of NT is the same guy who sent Rykov out of St Petesburg in the first place.

Also he was the best player for russian b team? Pavel, don't tell me you watched Kaufland Cup! Why would you do that? Nobody in even Russia watches this stuff. You watched it specifically because of Rykov? Woke up very early in the morning to watch Russia B get smashed by Slovakia because you wanted to watch Rykov?

You think he is a new Fetisov or smth?

I mean, even when I worked as a part-time scout I didn't watch 20-25 games of some no-name teams because of just one guy. Espescially a guy across the ocean. And we are not talking about some high-potential guy either.

How about some:

?

FWIW... If I didn't fly to New York to see the Rangers 1994 celebration game, I would have taken the train to Bratislava and attend the Kaufland Cup to see Kravtsov. But I agree. There's no way someone in the US can realistically watch the number of games some people here claim to. Those games start at 9 am EST. People are either in school or working.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why hasn't he said anything about coming to NA, I wonder. I think, it's either Rangers don't need him that desperate right now or he has a good offer from SKA.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Why hasn't he said anything about coming to NA, I wonder. I think, it's either Rangers don't need him that desperate right now or he has a good offer from SKA.

Don't know a lot about these sorts of things but probably the former.
Rangers pretty crowded at LD right now.
After some trades, there will be some movement with Rykov.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers don't need him or any of the defensive prospect to sign at any specific team. Its not as if any of them are blue-chip prospects or the team needs immediate NHL help. Its a rebuilding team, but I think Rykov would stand a better chance of breaking through into the NHL team during the 19-20 season season than the 20-21 season. After one more season, Miller should be signed, and Lundkvist might also sign. Rykov might not be any worse of a prospect than either, but he's not as high profile, so he's not going to get the same opportunities that they will. Right now, he'd be competing with Hajek and Lindgren for NHL playing time next season.

I have to think at least one of them will get regular NHL minutes next season. The Rangers can't justify a rebuilding team icing these bad 30+ year old defensemen for another season without giving some younger defensemen regular games. Lindgren has very low upside and Hajek didn't have a good season in the AHL. Rykov is probably the most NHL ready of the three. But maybe he thinks he needs another season in the KHL. If thats the case, I don't see the point in alienating him. The team is rebuilding. We don't need Rykov on the NHL team this next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gorton has to be moving someone out. We have too many defensemen. I think he'll trade Shattenkirk. I think he'd prefer without retainment, but it'll likely take some retainment. I also wouldn't be surprised with a Smith buyout, although I don't like buyouts for a rebuilding team, so I'd prefer to use him as a 7D or 4th line winger instead. Staal should be first to go, but he won't. He's staying put.

I think Rykov will end up competing with Hajek for a roster spot. Hajek might have the leg up due to playing some NHL games last season, but I think Rykov is the better player, so it might be an even battle for that last remaining top 6 spot on the left side.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Off-topic, but just to make people understand SKA - Sochi relationship, SKA just "traded" their VHL backup for the best Russian goalie prospect in another one of such "hockey trades".
Just to make people understand your attempt to spread narratives money trades are allowed in the KHL. And that is exactly how it goes. The rich SKA gets basically a Shestyorkin replacement going forward and gives Sochi some finance in return so they can sign a somewhat competitive roster. Of course looking just at the players in the trade it's a downgrade for Sochi, but it's not like they were relying on Kochetkov to be their future or something. Get real. I hate SKA for what they do as much as the next guy, but let's not slide into fixing reality.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just to make people understand your attempt to spread narratives money trades are allowed in the KHL. And that is exactly how it goes. The rich SKA gets basically a Shestyorkin replacement going forward and gives Sochi some finance in return so they can sign a somewhat competitive roster. Of course looking just at the players in the trade it's a downgrade for Sochi, but it's not like they were relying on Kochetkov to be their future or something. Get real. I hate SKA for what they do as much as the next guy, but let's not slide into fixing reality.

Yeah, that's just what every KHL team with some money always does, like Ak Bars, for example...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Just to make people understand your attempt to spread narratives money trades are allowed in the KHL. And that is exactly how it goes. The rich SKA gets basically a Shestyorkin replacement going forward and gives Sochi some finance in return so they can sign a somewhat competitive roster.
In this case. "monetary compensation" wasn't mentioned anywhere, it's supposedly 1 for 1 trade.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In this case. "monetary compensation" wasn't mentioned anywhere, it's supposedly 1 for 1 trade.
Finances aren't disclosed anyway in the KHL, so who cares? There is also nowhere a mention of anything backing up your claim SKA would just force Sochi into something.

The plain truth is every smaller club in the KHL does that. Selling off promising young players to the powerhouses and lending them too (on undisclosed conditions). I for my part don't seea problem with players, especially the younger ones getting to play on smaller teams. The problem with SKA is the other way round, that they would not lend their players to other teams lately, but keep a 50 man roster instead.

And btw, your whole rant is pointless as Prosvetov is a 20y.o. who might be ready to step in and is not a nobody too. He's had a pretty nice record playing in the american leagues. While Kochetkov is an undrafted goalie who might be ranked high for the draft, but he is a long way away from being KHL material and Sochi can't afford that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Finances aren't disclosed anyway in the KHL, so who cares? There is also nowhere a mention of anything backing up your claim SKA would just force Sochi into something.

The plain truth is every smaller club in the KHL does that.

The point wasn't SKA is forcing them into anything. The point is that Sochi and SKA relationship is not that of 2 independent clubs but rather that of the "parent - feeder" club partnership the way those things are called in football. Yes, "hidden loans" (that's kind of an official term now, isn't it) and money transfers exist but Sochi - SKA take it to another level. If you want to act dumb take this "it isn't so" position, go ahead :facepalm:

Also, probably not worth going into this but:

1) Kochetkov would have been on Sochi's KHL roster next year, their management made it clear when asked are they going to extend Barulin (which consequently they didn't) in March.
2) I don't remember ranting about Prosvetov but he was a worthless chip to Sochi. They drafted him #6 in the draft and he went to the NA instead of signing. Clearly, he was and still is taking NA route all along and was never going to sign with Sochi. Saying trading probably the best professional Russian D prospect who is ready to contribute for a prospect who might be back in Russia in 5 years was an actual hockey trade is again, you just running your mouth for the sake of it.

And again, the point isn't it against the rules. The point is there are 2 teams in the same league, playing for the same trophy who are going for the same goal: one of them winning the trophy and the other one staying mildly competitive. Which is a bit of a joke. I'm not saying anything about Amur getting half of their roster from Magnitka, or Loko, or Avangard every year. It's natural, it doesn't hurt anyone, it's no big deal and it's all the things you are talking about. SKA - Sochi take it to the whole next level which is something you want to prove doesn't exist.

The point back then (Rylov - Prosveton "trade") was that players move freely between those 2 teams and whom does one exactly belong to doesn't matter as they just operate from the same player pool where SKA takes what they want and sends whoever they can't use at the moment to Sochi. Those aren't hockey trades, their value is nowhere near real market value because those aren't real transfers. Everyone in the Russian media sees this, everyone with a little common sense who follows KHL sees this but apparently trying to explain it to people who don't is agenda. Alright then.

Let us just act like all the KHL-ready players going from SKA to Sochi is a coincidence and Kochetkov going to SKA is as well. Ignorance is bliss, no agendas here.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The point wasn't SKA is forcing them into anything. The point is that Sochi and SKA relationship is not that of 2 independent clubs but rather that of the "parent - feeder" club partnership the way those things are called in football. Yes, "hidden loans" (that's kind of an official term now, isn't it) and money transfers exist but Sochi - SKA take it to another level. If you want to act dumb take this "it isn't so" position, go ahead :facepalm:

Also, probably not worth going into this but:

1) Kochetkov would have been on Sochi's KHL roster next year, their management made it clear when asked are they going to extend Barulin (which consequently they didn't) in March.
2) I don't remember ranting about Prosvetov but he was a worthless chip to Sochi. They drafted him #6 in the draft and he went to the NA instead of signing. Clearly, he was and still is taking NA route all along and was never going to sign with Sochi. Saying trading probably the best professional Russian D prospect who is ready to contribute for a prospect who might be back in Russia in 5 years was an actual hockey trade is again, you just running your mouth for the sake of it.

And again, the point isn't it against the rules. The point is there are 2 teams in the same league, playing for the same trophy who are going for the same goal: one of them winning the trophy and the other one staying mildly competitive. Which is a bit of a joke. I'm not saying anything about Amur getting half of their roster from Magnitka, or Loko, or Avangard every year. It's natural, it doesn't hurt anyone, it's no big deal and it's all the things you are talking about. SKA - Sochi take it to the whole next level which is something you want to prove doesn't exist.

The point back then (Rylov - Prosveton "trade") was that players move freely between those 2 teams and whom does one exactly belong to doesn't matter as they just operate from the same player pool where SKA takes what they want and sends whoever they can't use at the moment to Sochi. Those aren't hockey trades, their value is nowhere near real market value because those aren't real transfers. Everyone in the Russian media sees this, everyone with a little common sense who follows KHL sees this but apparently trying to explain it to people who don't is agenda. Alright then.

Let us just act like all the KHL-ready players going from SKA to Sochi is a coincidence and Kochetkov going to SKA is as well. Ignorance is bliss, no agendas here.
Your claim is false. That's what I said.

There is no "feeder" relationship. There is the natural telationship between rich and not so rich.

The proper way to change it is to make all teams in the league rich. The improper way to change it is to cry for parity and Great Justice no matter what.

1.Kochetkov is too young to be a starter whereever in the KHL. With SKA he will probably end with SKA-Neva which is better for his development for now. That's all I care at this age. Later on he will run off to NA. What's the gain in that for Sochi?

2.Prosvetov is taking what? Right. The same as Kochetkov. Prosvetov though is much closer to returning. They all are after "development" in NA. Too bad Konovalov will be ahead of him miles when he comes back.

Your description of the league is that of the NHL not so long ago. And I liked the NHL more back then. Parity for the sake of parity makes for worse hockey and more money through covering moar markets. It needs massive propaganda though to succeed. It works on you. Ignorance is a bliss to you.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The natural relationship would be to interact with all the rich teams for Sochi and with all the poor ones for SKA. However, all the SKA youngsters are going to Sochi and Kochetkov was traded to SKA, not the highest bidder.

Regarding Kochetkov, allow me to borrow the phrase, your claim is false. Sochi's management made it clear he was intended to be Shikin's backup next year. And since Shikin himself has never played more than 32 games in a season Kochetkov almost certainly would have gotten 20 starts. Even if he leaves to NA in 3 years it isn't a big deal to anyone. Also, Sochi could have sold him later for the even bigger price since they had him under the contract and with roster spot waiting for him. Even in SKA, backup's job is either his or Melnichuk, he just needs to take it. The transfer wouldn't make sense if they intend to keep them both at VHL level, they would have been much better of just playing for Sochi.

Prosvetov left to NAHL instead of signing with Sochi :facepalm: Do you really not understand the difference between him and Kochetkov? Who has already made his KHL debut, had roster spot ready, was under contract and is yet to be drafted?

Why would you drag NHL into this? What does it have to do with anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad