LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It took him two weeks to become Sochi's #1 defenseman. He's played over 20 minutes the last four games, and was the minutes leader for defensemen by over two minutes today.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Played over 25 minutes today.

I haven't watched any of his games recently, but it looks like he's not scoring that many points. He's not an offensive defensemen, but I'd expect slightly better point production. Does anyone know if he's been taken off the PP? His SH% is low, as well.

Either way, he's still playing big minutes under a coach who was one of the best defensemen of his generation. Almost always over 20 minutes per game for Rykov, so if Zubov is playing him those minutes, he must be doing pretty well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He played a career high 26:27 yesterday. He's getting big minutes for a playoff team. This trade has been very good for his development. Thats considering Sochi was icing 7D, and teams usually play 7 in the KHL.

Reactions: haveandare

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do young d-men typically put up points in the KHL?
There is usually around 15 U24 players with 10+ points. Rykov scored 14 last year as well. Usually, these guys break out around the age of 22-23 (Kiselevich, Ozhiganov, Zaitsev, Chudinov, etc.) but considering his career trajectory thus far Rykov is having a really bad season.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
There is usually around 15 U24 players with 10+ points. Rykov scored 14 last year as well. Usually, these guys break out around the age of 22-23 (Kiselevich, Ozhiganov, Zaitsev, Chudinov, etc.) but considering his career trajectory thus far Rykov is having a really bad season.
“Really bad season” offensively it’s true at least
He’s not an offensive dman though

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
“Really bad season” offensively it’s true at least
He’s not an offensive dman though
He is as offensive as Russian Ds get nowadays. He has scored at every level as well thus far: be it WJC, MHL, VHL or even KHL. 14 points as a 20-year-old playing 12 minutes per game was a great result.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
You have to consider the situation. He was playing for a team with an abundance of offensive firepower. SKA asks their Ds to be responsible at their own end, they don’t need them to go forward and take chances.

Look at what happened to Chudinov and Yakovlev.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has anyone here watched these games? I asked this question a couple of posts up because I'm curious to know if anyone knows the answer.

We can all speculate. Does he still play the PP? He has a very low SH%. Besides, I've seen him play many times, a couple earlier this season, and I think he has decent offensive potential. He's not an offensive defensemen, but I think he's a good passer who can make plays at the blue line and he has shown an aggressive approach to jumping up into the play from the backend. I'd worry a lot more about the points if he was projected to be Erik Karlsson. He's not. There is probably a good explanation for the lack of points that none of us know due to not watching these games. The fact that he's playing so much for a pretty good KHL team after SKA sent him to the minors is very good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's picked up the scoring. He has assists in back to back games. I watched some of the game today, although I missed the assist.

He's not on the PP, so that might explain the lack of points. He was playing PK, which is good. He looked pretty good defensively. No problems with his defense other than occasionally he'll pinch too much and his teammates will lose the puck, which leaves him stranded up ice. Thats more of a team problem though as someone should be covering when he does that.

He has very good composure with the puck. I don't really understand why he's not playing the PP more. He's the best defensemen they have at handling the puck. He had this really creative Dahlin-type of pass to himself today where he had Tkachyov rushing at him with him controlling the puck at the point and he flipped it off the boards to himself. It ended up working. Very smart play.

He's done well from what I've watched this season. He looked slightly naive earlier in the season defensively, but nothing too bad and he's improved from what I saw earlier in the season on the defensive end. Offensively, I like what I see. Very good movement in the offensive zone. Always looking to get himself open for a pass when he doesn't have the puck. He's also very good at moving the puck in all zones and I like his skating. Not the flashiest player, but pretty good in all aspects.

Reactions: Lays

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He only got removed from it once Paigin arrived, fairly recently.

Was he? I remember he was on it earlier in the season. I asked recently if anyone knew if he was still playing the PP, and no one responded, so I assumed no one knew. If you've watched Sochi recently, I'll take your word for that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Was he? I remember he was on it earlier in the season. I asked recently if anyone knew if he was still playing the PP, and no one responded, so I assumed no one knew. If you've watched Sochi recently, I'll take your word for that.
It was Auvitu - Jokipakka then Rykov - Jokipakka and Paigin - Jokipakka now.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad