LD Yegor Rykov - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2016, 132nd, NJD; traded to NYR)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked him as a prospect a few years ago. Getting a full year of playing time in the KHL will be good for him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So somebody leaked Hartley's staff notes on CSKA defensemen and Rykov got pretty dumpstered: "bad skater, soft, bad at defense".

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was on the ice for one goal against in the series out of 12, so I'm not sure how much it matters. Rykov isn't the reason CSKA lost the series.

I think Hartley's right that he's soft. For a 6'3 defenseman, he's not physical. Don't agree that he's bad defensively or he's a bad skater. And I'm sure if Hartley's notes were longer, they'd note that he's a good east-west skater. Skating in the simple terms is usually just referring to North-South, where he's probably a little below average. Not that bad though, and he's 6'3. It's really not anything of note actually. And defensively, I think thats just an exaggeration. He's probably about average defensively.

Anyway, I'd expect he'll return to CSKA next year, or sign with another KHL team, and maybe he'll look to return to the NHL in 2-4 years.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He was on the ice for one goal against in the series out of 12, so I'm not sure how much it matters. Rykov isn't the reason CSKA lost the series.

I think Hartley's right that he's soft. For a 6'3 defenseman, he's not physical. Don't agree that he's bad defensively or he's a bad skater. And I'm sure if Hartley's notes were longer, they'd note that he's a good east-west skater. Skating in the simple terms is usually just referring to North-South, where he's probably a little below average. Not that bad though, and he's 6'3. It's really not anything of note actually. And defensively, I think thats just an exaggeration. He's probably about average defensively.

Anyway, I'd expect he'll return to CSKA next year, or sign with another KHL team, and maybe he'll look to return to the NHL in 2-4 years.
The first paragraph is kinda hard to understand. What doesn't matter? I mean obviously, he wasn't the reason CSKA lost but partially because you need to be a better player to be important enough to lose the league finals to begin with. His TOI was between 5 and 14 minutes.

Also, I feel like a poster on HFBoars disagreeing with the coaching staff of KHL champions [to be] preparing their team for the final series isn't really an argument you are going to win. You can say that it isn't clear what was the measuring stick but one has to assume other CSKA defensemen were the comparison. He was the only one singled out for bad skating (others range from average to excellent). I think being worst in the group of 8 is worse than "little below average".

Defensively quite a few got their weak sides pointed out and Blazhyevsky got the title of being called "the worst" but at the same time notes were more specific in most cases rather than just flat out "bad" used to describe Rykov. You can, again, say that it isn't clear what they consider to be "good" or "bad" but whatever it is Dahlbeck was called "very good defensively" so it doesn't appear there is much bias or exaggeration in this evaluation. It's not like they wrote things just to make their own players feel better.

CSKA holds his rights so he can't just sign with another team and the trade seems unlikely.

Did he have any notes on Dmitri Samorukov? lol
Sadly no since obviously they weren't expecting to face him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad