LD Rasmus Dahlin (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's a 1D one third into his rookie season at 18 years old. He needs 50+ points to challenge Pettersson for the Calder and if Pettersson hits 100 points Rasmus would need 60 minimally for a shot.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's a 1D one third into his rookie season at 18 years old. He needs 50+ points to challenge Pettersson for the Calder and if Pettersson hits 100 points Rasmus would need 60 minimally for a shot.

I think he needs 60 points to challenge EP40 who has the narrative for a Calder win in those 2 5 point games.

If EP40 hits 100 points he will be in contention for the Hart.

2 things that I think won't happen.

That being said I think I would take Dahlin for the future by a coinflip.

On a side note, Sweden is looking great for international tournaments for years to come.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
His d-zone play hasn't been great the last few games. Some sloppy passes, chasing the play a bit, weak on the puck sometimes.

I might be nit-picking here, but let's not pretend he's perfect. Yet.
Completely expected.
Can’t wait for 19 year old Dahlin after an off-season if NHL training. Hutton and Ullmark have bailed him out countless times this season but Dahlin takes everything in stride. Nothing bothers him. He didn’t even celebrate his goal the other night. #Iceman.

Reactions: SabresSharks

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he needs 60 points to challenge EP40 who has the narrative for a Calder win in those 2 5 point games.

If EP40 hits 100 points he will be in contention for the Hart.

2 things that I think won't happen.

That being said I think I would take Dahlin for the future by a coinflip.

On a side note, Sweden is looking great for international tournaments for years to come.

I like those two kids a lot, but at the next tournament I think you have more growth out of both Team USA and Team Finland.

I think with NHL guys Sweden was in the #2 spot for a lot of the last decade, they have a lot more opposition to that claim now in my opinion. Russia continues to have issues D-man wise that give me pause with them. Backstrom will be a fairly old man if they are playing in the 2022 Olympics. Zibanejad and Karlsson are good but that is going to be tough down the middle against the guys those other nations are bringing. Love their back-end I just think the others countries have gained a slight amount on Sweden to me for the next big NHL potential player showdown best on best.

Dahlin and Pettersson are certainly amazing building blocks for the next generation emerging though.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I like those two kids a lot, but at the next tournament I think you have more growth out of both Team USA and Team Finland.

I think with NHL guys Sweden was in the #2 spot for a lot of the last decade, they have a lot more opposition to that claim now in my opinion. Russia continues to have issues D-man wise that give me pause with them. Backstrom will be a fairly old man if they are playing in the 2022 Olympics. Zibanejad and Karlsson are good but that is going to be tough down the middle against the guys those other nations are bringing. Love their back-end I just think the others countries have gained a slight amount on Sweden to me for the next big NHL potential player showdown best on best.

Dahlin and Pettersson are certainly amazing building blocks for the next generation emerging though.
Hopefully Raymond and Holtz lives up to their high potential though

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hopefully Raymond and Holtz lives up to their high potential though

I think Sweden is still in that conversation and like you're pointing to it is unlikely they stop producing high end talent. I am a big Broberg guy this year and I love their D, they should show up to any tournament with the best setup back there. I am just saying I think other nations have gained. Not a slap at Sweden just the next international tournament with true best on best should be a barn burner. There is a lot more depth and talent when I look country to country at least in my opinion.

As a Wings fan I am conditioned to root for Sweden after USA so I am not taking a shot at them. It's absolutely insane the amount of talent Sweden and Finland produce given the population size of those countries.

Dahlin is the next in a long line of that. He is an amazing player, him and Jack Eichel are going to be a bear to deal with for everyone else in the league for the foreseeable future. That is my favorite young core going, hurts they are in my division.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I think Sweden is still in that conversation and like you're pointing to it is unlikely they stop producing high end talent. I am a big Broberg guy this year and I love their D, they should show up to any tournament with the best setup back there. I am just saying I think other nations have gained. Not a slap at Sweden just the next international tournament with true best on best should be a barn burner. There is a lot more depth and talent when I look country to country at least in my opinion.

As a Wings fan I am conditioned to root for Sweden after USA so I am not taking a shot at them. It's absolutely insane the amount of talent Sweden and Finland produce given the population size of those countries.

Dahlin is the next in a long line of that. He is an amazing player, him and Jack Eichel are going to be a bear to deal with for everyone else in the league for the foreseeable future. That is my favorite young core going, hurts they are in my division.
Like I said earlier in a thread regarding the decrease in prominent swedish hockey players, theres a clear correlation to the failed WHC in Stockholm 2013 were the organisation went approx. 30 million SEK minus and cuts had to be made in the Swedish Ice Hockey Association, on the youth departement for example.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Yes team USA will be a problem going forward for all teams.

Swedens strength is on the back end for sure but they have a very solid group of forwards and maybe a superstar in EP40.

Finland has a better group of forwards but their defense isn't quite as dynamic as Swedens and down the middle isn't where Finland is stoing at either.

The difference might be Finlands strength in net.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Dahlin was lugging top PP time from the start like Carlson, Barrie, Rielly or Ghost in Philly, he'd be on pace for 50+ points as an 18 year old rookie. Housley better staple him to PP1 for good.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Completely expected.
Can’t wait for 19 year old Dahlin after an off-season if NHL training. Hutton and Ullmark have bailed him out countless times this season but Dahlin takes everything in stride. Nothing bothers him. He didn’t even celebrate his goal the other night. #Iceman.
Iceman nails it. He didn't even crack a smile after scoring against the Caps. I worry about that boy. ;)

Reactions: Mitts888

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Let's hope.

Exactly!! I've been ranting and raving about this from since Game 2. By mid-January, Dahlin could start exploding offensively if Housley keeps him up there. By then he'll be a lot more comfortable. Could end up with around 47 points this year IMO, if Housley doesn't mess around.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
The only thing that concerns me about Sweden going forward is their goaltending. I don’t see a front runner to be the heir to King Henrik. That is the one thing I noticed when projecting 2022 Olympic teams on my I-pad(I was bored ok lol). Henrik will be 39 years old by the next time we might have Olympic Hockey.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
I’m aware of Wallstedt, but he won’t be ready in 2022 as it is less than a year after his draft. Maybe if there’s Hockey at the 2026 Olympics he’ll start then, but not 2022.
Ah, my bad! Just read "no heir to Henrik". :)
Linus Söderström, Linus Ullmark or Filip Gustavsson possibly?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nice shot by Dahlin here. 20pts in 37 games now. Pettersson may win the Calder but Dahlin could make it quite a finish if he maintains or improves on this pace

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
20 points before Christmas.

Last year the Sabres had 2 D hit 20 all year. And one topped out at 22.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
God i luv watching dahlin play. All the little efficient plays he makes with the puck are fantastic on top of the highlight reel plays he makes.

I want every young defenseman to watch his play w/ the puck in the d-zone and transition, as well as seeing the mistakes he makes here and there and seeing the adjustments etc...

Reactions: Mitts888

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think I was one of the first people to suggest that Pettersson should go 1OA and I think I also started the Datsyuk comparisons, so no one could confuse me with someone who dislikes Pettersson, but I think you have to give the Calder to Dahlin if this continues.

What he's doing has only two precedents. The only 18 year old defensemen with a higher PPG average were his coach Phil Housley and Bobby Orr. He's also on pace to score more points this season than Orr, considering Orr only played 61 games, scoring 41 points. What Pettersson is doing is great, and he's going to be one of the best forwards in the NHL during his career. What Dahlin is doing is nearly unprecedented in hockey history. If his defensive game comes along, he could challenge for the Norris in his second season.

Reactions: KapG and Mitts888
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad