LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I hope Juolevi either earns his opening day spot 100% or gets put in the AHL and has to earn his call-ups. I want to see him come in as a guy who can provide some offense and get PP time. But he needs to show he's ready. Our management needs to not be impatient just to try to prove they made the right pick (which they obviously didn't)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I heard he wears diapers so he doesn't have to get up to leave his gaming rig. Really unfortunate.
hqdefault.jpg

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I don't see a scenario where he doesn't walk straight into our team, and immediately play on the 1st PP unit.

Based solely on just how inept our D is, especially offensively

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I don't see a scenario where he doesn't walk straight into our team, and immediately play on the 1st PP unit.

Based solely on just how inept our D is, especially offensively
The Nucks, like most teams, will probably continue to go with 4F, 1D on the PP. I assume that D will continue to be Edler. If Juolevi makes the team, he'll be competing with Pouliot (if re-signed), Hutton, MDZ and Stecher for the 2nd unit D spot - he'll have a shot to win that one.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
I'd take him 5th if we had the pick. Guy already plays like a professional player

Yep, this is a guy a team can build on. Definitely #1 defenceman potential

Hopefully. He reminds me a lot of Shattenkirk. Would be incredible if he reaches that level some day.

I get scary Gormley vibes. I watched a lot of Gormley as an amateur and always thought he was the safest of prospects with a very, very high floor. I've never been more wrong about a prospect. I never could have anticipated how the increased speed of the NHL game would totally overwhelm him and that he would completely fail to adapt in any way. He seemed so smart in junior and always made the right decisions. But the NHL took away some time and space and he became utterly useless.

How much quicker is Juolevi than Gormley? Does he move faster, think faster, and make plays faster? I didn't see that at the WJCs. I saw a very smooth, very effective player. But not necessarily a very quick one.

Sergachev seems quicker. More raw. More mistake prone. But quicker and with more "tools". Is that fair to say? OHL fans who have seen a lot of both should be able to compare the two pretty well.

This is not meant to be hyperbolic, but If I were picking 4th overall right now. I would pick Juolevi. I love his smarts, poise, and his willingness to sacrifice the body to make a play. He is a very cerebral player that just oozes quality.

Well if the Canucks stick around their position I know they are getting this kid. I hope we get one of Juolevi or Chychurun

Now that the Canucks slide to 5th, really hoping the Oilers pass up on this guy for Vancouver to take at 5.

Would love him somehow on the Canucks just no way we pass up on Tkachuck at 5

watched 1st memorial game, this isnt the best Dman in an nhl draft, no way

if this kid is the best or even among the best D's in a draft then my gawd what a weak draft for defenesemen

Said it in the Knights post, but I'm not impressed with him. He makes very good passes out of his zone, and skates extremely well, but he makes poor effort along the boards, and found tonight he was timid getting the puck when a huskie was near him. I just don't find him extremely special to be a top pairing guy. The hype from his great play in junior didn't stick with me after watching the knights all season, and playoffs.

Every game I have seen him play, I basically see vlasic / Hamhuis clone.

Which imo is worth a top 6 pick imo

Juolevi is poor man`s Lidstrom.

He might end up being top 3 player from this draft

I can see the Canucks drafting him at 5 and I wouldn't lose any sleep on it.

This is the type of Dman that can play 25 minutes a night because his skating and iq is off the charts.

Dont count out the fact that he is a winner as well from WJC to Mem Cup.

It can't be all about IQ and poise, he is skinny, doesn't play physical, doesn't put up a lot of points on an offensive juggernaut. Just not the reward you want after a miserable season and first top 5 draft pick of this century for the Canucks.

I go through History and read with Interest.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
he has regressed not progressed, nothing with those posts are even that wrong.

If you actually read the rest of some of mine, I said clearly wanting Tkachuk, and Juolevi was a bad pick.
That guy is just a joke account. If you read the posts he quoted, some are very complimentary of Juolevi and other are very derogatory. It’s a meaningless statement he made.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he has regressed not progressed, nothing with those posts are even that wrong.

If you actually read the rest of some of mine, I said clearly wanting Tkachuk, and Juolevi was a bad pick.

He was his teams minutes leader, points leader for a dman, and 3rd in points for his entire team during their playoff run. I do not see that as a regression, you might say "well he's an overager of course the coach will play him" he didn't play in juniors this year, and was the teams youngest player, the coach wouldn't play him the most if they coach didn't think he was their best dman, now one of their top 2 was injured, yes, but still... the coach could have chosen 4 other veterans to patch up the top 2 spot on Defence, they used Juolevi.

only on hfboards.com is he regression my gawd. Would be a considered a young stud if he was drafted by a no name American team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad