LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
D production as well. Valimaki at #10, Jokiharju at #14 just because they can score in junior while Liljegren who had a very solid rookie season in the AHL as an 18 year-old at #42. That just doesn't seem to be right. Even more so considering Valimaki turns 20 on 2nd day of the season.

He uses NHLe and age adjustments in his formula.

Lijegren had a good D+1 year, that doesn't mean he's better than other prospects.

He also admits that the model is very much a work in progress (due to limited access to data).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's true that the goals matter, they seem to be weighed pretty highly in comparison to assists. And also, if Liljegren had a high portion of his points being secondary assists, I'm sure that's going to be a problem also.

Juolevi himself scored plenty of goals.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
One of the greatest hockey minds in the universe Emmanuel Perry named Olli Juolevi the 5th best prospect in the league pre-2018 draft.

We should trade Necas IMMEDIATELY then, and since Juolevi is ranked higher, also ask Carolina for a pick ;)

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
What happened with this highly touted prospect ( Olli Juolevi ). How come he didn't make the cut for the Canucks

Reactions: Gsus

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
What happened with this highly touted prospect ( Olli Juolevi ). How come he didn't make the cut for the Canucks

Partially that we have a log jam of shitty 3rd pairing defencemen and our regime isn't known for their ability to admit their mistakes.
Partially because his only action in the preseason was with Erik Gudbranson.
Partially because he needs to be quicker and more aggresive.

I've said before that a lot of his problems seem very fixable with the right coach and such, but I'm not sure if the Canucks can provide those things for him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two reasons:
1. Eight mostly mediocre defensemen signed.
2. Recovering from surgery this summer so was not expected to make it.
I think he’ll be playing in the NHL by the end of the year once he gets back up to speed. He looks like he took some big strides this past year in Finland. He’s never going to be the right pick but he looks like he could develop into a good second pairing guy. Maybe even more.
We will see.
It’s easy to forget that he’s only turned 20 years of age. He was a young draftee.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Partially that we have a log jam of ****ty 3rd pairing defencemen and our regime isn't known for their ability to admit their mistakes.
Partially because his only action in the preseason was with Erik Gudbranson.
Partially because he needs to be quicker and more aggresive.

I've said before that a lot of his problems seem very fixable with the right coach and such, but I'm not sure if the Canucks can provide those things for him.
Don't forget he's hardly trained all summer

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018
He’s easily one of the most frustrating players and I imagine it would be annoying coaching him.

The thing about him is he’s an awful choice for a rebuilding team because his problem is between the ears.

He’s a big game player and the playoffs are the only time he ever shows up. Which sounds great, but there’s 82 games to play in a season and with parity in the league, every game has to count to even get to the playoffs.

His attitude sucks and he’ll only ever be good on good teams in good situations. His IQ is good (not as good as he thinks it is) and his attention to details are beautiful.

Training this summer wouldn’t have helped because it’s the same issues. Compete level is basura for 90% of games played. Waste of potential for sure.

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
He’s easily one of the most frustrating players and I imagine it would be annoying coaching him.

The thing about him is he’s an awful choice for a rebuilding team because his problem is between the ears.

He’s a big game player and the playoffs are the only time he ever shows up. Which sounds great, but there’s 82 games to play in a season and with parity in the league, every game has to count to even get to the playoffs.

His attitude sucks and he’ll only ever be good on good teams in good situations. His IQ is good (not as good as he thinks it is) and his attention to details are beautiful.

Training this summer wouldn’t have helped because it’s the same issues. Compete level is basura for 90% of games played. Waste of potential for sure.

I'm going to need proof on these 5 things please. With links.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

what the f*** is this newbie talking about. My gosh the smeer campagin never stop around here

Reactions: Trilliann

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Surprised at the lack of jokes in this thread after the Canucks banned their players from playing Fortnite on road trips.

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018

what the **** is this newbie talking about. My gosh the smeer campagin never stop around here

What exactly does that prove, Lawrence? He looked good in the AHL..and at this point he needs to.

The talent is there without a doubt. When and if the Canucks get good again, he will be a playoff monster.

How’s that a smear campaign? I’d rather have that on my team than a box score hero who folds when it matters.

All I’m saying is that he needs a perfect situation to hit his potential and it depends on too many unknown factors.

Whereas picks like Keller flourish no matter what.....or Mete

It’s a valid non-emotional assessment of the player that is Olli Juolevi

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

His conditioning isn't up to par after missing training time with that surgery. He had some blunders in preseason but also looked like the best puck-moving defenseman on the team at other times.

Give it like 2 months, maybe 2-3, and he'll be up with the Canucks.

Reactions: lawrence

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018
I'm going to need proof on these 5 things please. With links.
Watch his games. There’s enough London Knight fans on here you can ask as well.

Mind explaining why he was a healthy scratch in a B-Level league earlier this year as well? And lost his pos. as #1 D the year before?

But maybe it’s my fault for holding a 5th overall pick to a higher standard.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I hope that he gets into the team as soon as possible. He's not going to live up to the hype, but he's still very young and could turn out to be a good D.

Reactions: Zombotron

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I think it's too early to lose hope for Juolevi. He is still very young.. he very well could become solid 1st pair D in the NHL.

Main thing from what i've seen is that he needs to be more consistent and there's a good reason to believe that will come with age.

Reactions: Ippenator
Mar 12, 2009
Saw most of Olli's games (pretty much every home game, many road games) in his draft year, at the time I saw him projecting as a really solid 2nd pairing D who can defend well with stick and positioning and a quality puck mover. Never really saw #1 or #2 potential in his game. The way his development has gone, I still think he has a good shot at being a solid 3 or 4 once he puts some things together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broadslayer

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I just wanted to contribute to this thread by saying Olli has the worst plus/minus in the AHL so far with -7. Worst on the team by a bit. Utica has a winning record.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think he will develop into an Alex Edler type, a reliable 30 point 2 way defenceman. He will likely slot in as 3rd defenceman in a top 4 on the left side, #1 LD will be Quinn Hughes

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I just wanted to contribute to this thread by saying Olli has the worst plus/minus in the AHL so far with -7. Worst on the team by a bit. Utica has a winning record.
He's so frustrating, god. I honestly don't know if he'll ever make it in the NHL. Luckily Finland has tons of other prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->