LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
27 games and 22 points (5+17) with Jokerit U20 team. He was named rookie of the month in the U20 league and he leads rookies in points. Ten games 1+7 this month. His biggest weakness is his defensive play.

He is top Finnish defenseman in 2016 draft.

Anyone seen him play? Also interesting to see what he is going to do in the future. Will he stay with Jokerit or change another team to play in the FEL. We'll see.

www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Will he stay with Jokerit or change another team to play in the FEL. We'll see.

Could be loaned to Mestis or maybe somewhere like Blues if Jokerit thinks they can get a KHL season out of him before he goes to North America. I know they had some loan deals with Sport this season, so there's a precedent.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Really good size for a 16 year old dman and putting up a nice amount of points.

How is his skating?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Really good size for a 16 year old dman and putting up a nice amount of points.

How is his skating?

Haven't seen him a whole lot but seemed like a good skater with great puck handling ability and great passing skills. Very similar to that another Olli.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Juolevi looked like the complete defenseman when I saw Jokerit playing. Great passer, calm in every situation, high-level hockey IQ and awareness in all three zones. The kid can really shoot the puck and has the size and physique to compete against much older players in the defensive zone. 1st round material in my opinion.

tze

Jul 12, 2014
Is Juolevi better than Vaakanainen? Are they comparable?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

I haven't seen either one of them play yet but Juolevi seems to be top10 draft pick on many lists i see but Vaakanainen is said to be the best defenceman prospect ever from Finland.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
27 games and 22 points (5+17) with Jokerit U20 team. He was named rookie of the month in the U20 league and he leads rookies in points.

Why is the A-junior league always said to be U20 league, while it is actually U22 league, with a lot of 20 year old guys in the league..

I hope they loan him to some liiga club next year.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I heard from some Finnish scout, that at the moment he is better than Vaakanainen. But they are both possible 1st round defensemen.

Vaakanainen is younger, so we'll see who is better. Both are excellent young defensemen.

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
Juolevi looked like the complete defenseman when I saw Jokerit playing. Great passer, calm in every situation, high-level hockey IQ and awareness in all three zones. The kid can really shoot the puck and has the size and physique to compete against much older players in the defensive zone. 1st round material in my opinion.
I agree with this. I've seen him play a couple of times "live" and watched all of the U18 games played in the Czech tournament. His skating looks effortless and he's quite good with the puck. He has more in common with Olli Määttä than just his first name, they have some similarities in their playing styles. I'm not sure how high Juolevi will be drafted, but he is 1st round material definitely. He needs to gain weight and get more physical in the defensive zone, but that is to expected since he is still very young.

It will be intresting to see where he will play next season. Jr. A isn't the right place for him anymore, but neither is KHL. He needs to go to another team next season where he can at least play some games in Liiga. HIFK or Blues are the first ones to come in mind for obvious reasons. Not sure how "team loyal" Juolevi is and would he even consider playing for HIFK, but I think Törmänen would be a good coach for him.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Not sure how "team loyal" Juolevi is and would he even consider playing for HIFK, but I think Törmänen would be a good coach for him.
This loyalty thing is just something created by the fans. Players will pick the team that is best for their development.

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
This loyalty thing is just something created by the fans. Players will pick the team that is best for their development.
This is probably true. Nowadays changing from Jokerit to HIFK and vice versa doesn't seem to be an issue for the younger players. Does anyone know what kind of contract Juolevi has with Jokerit? I would guess he only has a junior contract, meaning he can transfer to another team if he wants.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think Juolevi would already have moved to another Finnish club if that was his plan for next season.

My guess is CHL. Worked well for Määttä and Honka too.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Juolevi, Välimäki, Vaakanainen, Vainio, Niemeläinen.. I like what I'm seeing.

As for Juolevi, I see him as a potential top15 pick for the 2016 draft. Pretty much in the same mold as Määttä, maybe with a bit more offensive capabilities (because of the skating), but less overall play.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I haven't seen him or Vaakanainen play, so I have to ask if there's any base for Lehterä's comments about Vaakanainen being the best Finnish d-prospects ever. Vaakanainen is born literally on 1.1.1999, Juolevi is only half a year older. Juolevi has 20 points in A-SM liiga, while Vaakanainen has 12 (about the same amount of games played). Juolevi is also 4 cm taller. Is Juolevi the leading defender for his team, while Vaakanainen is slotted behind older players? I know Blues has strong junior teams, don't know about Jokerit's depth though. Is it realistic to say either one of them is one of the best Finnish defensive prospects ever?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He was rewarded with best defenseman and rookie trophy in finnish U20 league. Being 16 year old that is pretty impressive. I have watched him all year and i think that he is very high end prospect. Has all the tools to be really really good player. I like him more than Ristolainen for example. One prospect to watch for 2016 draft for sure.

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
Juolevi did not play in Jokerit A Jrs. playoff game against Blues on Sunday. It was reported he has a lower-body injury. Does anybody have any info about the injury? Hopefully he will be able to play in the U18 WJC in April. If the injury is not serious, Juolevi can continue his season with Jokerit B Jrs. as Jokerit A lost in the playoffs to Blues. Jokerit B faces JYP in the playoffs, and lead 2-1 after three games.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is he expected to make the team, or was this just done so that they can recall him in case there's some injuries?

No idea. Could be that he will play in OHL/WHL/Liiga/Mestis next year and Jokerit just holds his KHL rights this way.

I don't see why he would stay in A-Juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->