LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I just wanted to contribute to this thread by saying Olli has the worst plus/minus in the AHL so far with -7. Worst on the team by a bit. Utica has a winning record.
There's also this pint of view.

Ryan Johnson on Juolevi: I'm extremely happy. This is the best I've seen Olli in a sense of level of engagement. He's aggressive. We know what kind of hockey sense he has, but he's being physical. He's being engaged in the games, with his teammates. He's playing anywhere from 19-23min.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
There's also this pint of view.

Ryan Johnson on Juolevi: I'm extremely happy. This is the best I've seen Olli in a sense of level of engagement. He's aggressive. We know what kind of hockey sense he has, but he's being physical. He's being engaged in the games, with his teammates. He's playing anywhere from 19-23min.

another thing that is being overlooked with his plus minus is that most of that has come because hes been on the ice when they have been burned short handed 4 times...the stat is misleading.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
another thing that is being overlooked with his plus minus is that most of that has come because hes been on the ice when they have been burned short handed 4 times...the stat is misleading.

You dont get a minus if you get scored on when short handed . Unless if you mean when the opponant scores on you when they are short handed...in which case that would be sad.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
You dont get a minus if you get scored on when short handed . Unless if you mean when the opponant scores on you when they are short handed...in which case that would be sad.

thats the case, the opponent was short handed. i dont find it as sad. one bad game where the marlies hammered them multiple times short handed. At the end of the day the -7 isnt indicative of his play. Just ask Johnson..(quoted above)

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Juolevi is inconsistent, he is hurt by where he's drafted. if he's drafted in the mid teens, he wont be under such a microscope. From what i've seen, I still believe he has a good shot of being a top 4 guy, his IQ is there, and no one can coach the big game X-factor that he has. Its true that his work ethic had been called into question throughout his early career, thankfully it is something that can change with good coaching, look at Hutton so far this year. He needs to be motivated by the right coach I believe. His future is still bright, using a top 5 pick on a top 4 mobile PMD is not a horrible investment on Benning's part.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Juolevi is inconsistent, he is hurt by where he's drafted. if he's drafted in the mid teens, he wont be under such a microscope. From what i've seen, I still believe he has a good shot of being a top 4 guy, his IQ is there, and no one can coach the big game X-factor that he has. Its true that his work ethic had been called into question throughout his early career, thankfully it is something that can change with good coaching, look at Hutton so far this year. He needs to be motivated by the right coach I believe. His future is still bright, using a top 5 pick on a top 4 mobile PMD is not a horrible investment on Benning's part.

He's been Utica's top dman, and he just scored his first AHL goal. He's also the leader in ice time in Utica.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
u want him in HFVHL? ;)

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He's so frustrating, god. I honestly don't know if he'll ever make it in the NHL. Luckily Finland has tons of other prospects.

He'll play in the NHL this season.

From everything I've heard and seen so far he seems to be playing well. I'll trust Ryan Johnson over what seems to be a misleading stat.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
13 points in 16 AHL games. For all the crap he’s taken from everyone he’s coming along nicely. He and Hughes should form a solid 1-2 duo on the left side for the Canucks!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
13 points in 16 AHL games. For all the crap he’s taken from everyone he’s coming along nicely. He and Hughes should form a solid 1-2 duo on the left side for the Canucks!

He's also reportedly been poor in his own end. Definitely needs to shore that up if he wants to play in the NHL in any capacity

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Where did you hear that from? Comets Gm Johnson said he’s played well in his own zone for the most part, some missed assignments here and there but nothing out of the ordinary for a rookie dman.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's also reportedly been poor in his own end. Definitely needs to shore that up if he wants to play in the NHL in any capacity

full time fans who's seen him play.

-Positioning wise work is needed. big time. Or his reads can be off.
-puck decision wise has been very good though.
- doing a heck of a job on the powerplay
-needs to add a little bit more strength too.

but yes, he does need to work on defensive positioning from lots of reports Ive seen. fortunate it's actually that instead of puck decision skills which has mostly been very positive.

I do believe he will have a crucial role with the Canucks down the road.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Great to see that the offense is there. He’s leading all rookie AHL defensemen and has been improving as the year goes on.
Still needs work defensively. He’s still really young. This year should see him get big minutes in Utica and work on his defense. Really pleased to see that he’s taken such a huge step offensively as this was unexpected.

Reactions: LAINEC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad