LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Third among OHL rookies with 2-6-8 in 9 games. I've heard good things about him, but can someone tell more how he has played so far?

Roark

Jan 31, 2014
Not much hype around him although he could be top-10 pick. Maybe just a good thing.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I was a massive Maata fan his draft year and had him rated inside my top 10 (albeit some thought I was nuts), however not having many viewings on him, how would you compare them?

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
I was a massive Maata fan his draft year and had him rated inside my top 10 (albeit some thought I was nuts), however not having many viewings on him, how would you compare them?

In a nutshell Juolevi better skater and better offensively Määttä more all-rounded and psychically a beast.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I don't see Ristolainen at all in Juolevi's play. I find Juolevi physically immature. He looks very slight and can get outmuscled on the boards if he doesn't move the puck quick enough. I also haven't seen him lay a big hit or anything similar, so i wouldn't say he is physically a beast.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I don't see Ristolainen at all in Juolevi's play. I find Juolevi physically immature. He looks very slight and can get outmuscled on the boards if he doesn't move the puck quick enough. I also haven't seen him lay a big hit or anything similar, so i wouldn't say he is physically a beast.

Nobody said he is physically a beast...Maatta in comparison to Juolevi was called as such.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Draft Analyst 2016 Draft Profile: Olli Juolevi

Juolevi is a tremendous, powerful skater who makes carrying the puck up the ice seem effortless. What really stands out is his agility and quickness moving both laterally and backwards. You can classify him as your atypical offensive-minded defenseman who always looks to make a play or expand on one that has already developed. Transitioning from blue line to blue line is his bread and butter, and he expands his options not only from his mobility, but from his exceptional passing prowess and vision. Juolevi’s passes are hard and on the tape, and the acumen he provides while doing so is why he’s so highly regarded.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/olli-juolevi/

Hard not to like this kid's offensive game. The 150-foot bank pass I saw him give Tkachuk still blows me away. Such an accurate passer.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/olli-juolevi/

Hard not to like this kid's offensive game. The 150-foot bank pass I saw him give Tkachuk still blows me away. Such an accurate passer.

Yup. He's like the prototypical modern defenseman. I think his game is going to translate pretty seemlessly into the NHL. Seems like a safe pick to be a top4 defenseman with potential to be a top-pairing guy. Elite skater with an elite transition game. That's the type of guy you need to go far into the playoffs. Curious to see which team will pick him up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
2 questions:

What's the proper pronunciation of his name?

Could he play in the NHL next year?
Maybe, but its probably not a good idea unless you can adequately shield him, plus depending on how his agreement to play in London is set up he might be AHL eligible (see Honka), which is probably the best option. Usually unless a kid is super elite and developed (see Ekblad) you probably don't want an 18 year old defender in the NHL.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The first syllable is stressed and pronounced YU. The O is pronounced short like in the word "opportunity". LE is pronounced similarly as in the word "less" and VI more or less like "we". The most important part is the first and stressed syllable YU.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
So... YU-ah-leh-vee or YU-oh-leh-vee??

YOO-aw-leh-vee(kind of like saying the English words You-Awe-Levee in a row without pausing), except quicker of course. There's also secondary emphasis on the third syllable(as there usually is in Finnish).

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This is the best always.

Is it?? It's awful and completely off! :laugh:

As is "You awe Levee"...

For Finns: It is pronounced like "Juo (drink) and Levi (a world cup slope in Lapland/or the two first syllables from "levitoida" (levitate)" though no emphasis on "le"...

For NAs: It is pronounced like " Y (w)oo(ah) and the first syllable from "LEvitate" and the thrid syllable from "alleVIate".

And that's about it. I guess.

Frankly, who the hell knows anymore how it should be pronounced. Since everybody does it in his own idiosyncratic way. So it seems at least. :laugh:

Could somebody tell me how it should be pronounced? I mean you, Olli Juolevi. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad