LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, he played in the NHL for about 15 years. He also appeared in Mighty Ducks.
He was also Jokerit's assistant coach for part of the 2010-2011 season. Doubt that has anything to do with this move because there's a different management in place, but interesting nevertheless.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Juolevi is very much like Määttä: same style, size, first name and now the same team too.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Watched Juolevi for the first time in a pre-season game against the Erie Otters last night. It was really easy to see what the hype is about with this young man. He's one of the most poised young d-men I've seen. I only watched two periods but he was easily the best player on the ice. Outstanding skating ability, good transition-game, great passer. So much to like about this kid. Finished the game with a nice goal, an assist and a +3 rating in a 3-1 game. It's real early but he looks like a top10 talent to me and the best d-man in the draft behind Chychrun.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Watched Juolevi for the first time in a pre-season game against the Erie Otters last night. It was really easy to see what the hype is about with this young man. He's one of the most poised young d-men I've seen. I only watched two periods but he was easily the best player on the ice. Outstanding skating ability, good transition-game, great passer. So much to like about this kid. Finished the game with a nice goal, an assist and a +3 rating in a 3-1 game. It's real early but he looks like a top10 talent to me and the best d-man in the draft behind Chychrun.

No way??? are´you sure you're not just overhyping him? If the draft will go as projected there will be two Finns in the top 5, and 1 in the top 10.. that's crazy for a small country that doesn't have the budget of Canada or Sweden for their organisations/player development (then again Juolevi went to the CHL)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No way??? are´you sure you're not just overhyping him? If the draft will go as projected there will be two Finns in the top 5, and 1 in the top 10.. that's crazy for a small country that doesn't have the budget of Canada or Sweden for their organisations/player development (then again Juolevi went to the CHL)

Well, as I said, it's real early and it was just a preseason-game but he looks really, really good out there. I will keep a close eye on him this season. And yes, I think he definitely has a chance to go in the top10. He's already ranked #14 and #16 by HockeyProspect and Future Considerations, respectively. With a strong season I don't see why he can't climb into the top10. He plays such a mature game. He looked to be on a whole different level than the rest of the guys in this game. Was much more impressed by him than Tkachuk and Jones who are both ranked top5 by most scouts.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Watching this kid's game is one of those small pleasures of life one shouldn't overlook. :thumb:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Tkachuk, Jones and Juolevi all made a very good decision to play in London this year. It's such a high profile place to play and with Marner and Dvorak they're going to be winners.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Considering how he's taken the same path as Maatta and is supposedly a bit better i could see him going very very high. Basically there will be a couple teams who desperately want a Maatta-type of player and think Juolevi can do the same if not more what Maatta has accomplished already. So in other words if a GM thinks he can jump right in and turn into a top 4 D very quickly he'll go ridiculously high.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I think Juolevi maybe a better player at this point then Maatta was at the same age.

I've only seen him play once so far but he could do nothing wrong. IMO he's a better skater and little more skilled at moving the puck at this point then Maatta was.

Juolevi does look to have a smaller frame(body) then Maatta did thou.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think Juolevi maybe a better player at this point then Maatta was at the same age.

I've only seen him play once so far but he could do nothing wrong. IMO he's a better skater and little more skilled at moving the puck at this point then Maatta was.

Juolevi does look to have a smaller frame(body) then Maatta did thou.

He's one centimeter taller than Määttä. I don't know how much Määttä weighed when he was playing in London.

JMcLeaf

Scored his 1st goal tonight. Also picked up an assist earlier in the game. I've been very impressed with his play so far.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Juolevi so far. It's hard for me to compare him to Maatta at this point because it's so early in the season and I just don't have the memory to recall Maatta over the same early sample size.

My initial gut reaction is I recall Maatta being more physically "bulky" when he came over. Juolevi initially strikes me as a better skater - but like I said, it's so hard to compare the two given the small sample size (and span of time since Maatta started with the Knights), so I might out to lunch on that observation :dunno:

Our Finnish friends will probably have better insight into comparisons than I can offer up .

But with apologies for repeating myself, I'm really happy with Juolevi's play and that came to play for the Knights.

Out of curiosity, what is the likelihood that he plays at WJC this year and will the fact he decided to play in N. Am. for his draft season have any impact on Finland's decision to put him on the WJC team?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Juolevi so far. It's hard for me to compare him to Maatta at this point because it's so early in the season and I just don't have the memory to recall Maatta over the same early sample size.

My initial gut reaction is I recall Maatta being more physically "bulky" when he came over. Juolevi initially strikes me as a better skater - but like I said, it's so hard to compare the two given the small sample size (and span of time since Maatta started with the Knights), so I might out to lunch on that observation :dunno:

Our Finnish friends will probably have better insight into comparisons than I can offer up .

But with apologies for repeating myself, I'm really happy with Juolevi's play and that came to play for the Knights.

Out of curiosity, what is the likelihood that he plays at WJC this year and will the fact he decided to play in N. Am. for his draft season have any impact on Finland's decision to put him on the WJC team?

Juolevi decided came to London Knights, because Jokerit Helsinki men's team plays in KHL.
And their KHL defense is stacked, there's no free KHL spot for Juolevi.

Of course he could have stay in Jokerit U20 team and play there, but Juolevi is already proved his skills in Finnish juniors.
Juolevi will be, Team Finland's roster in world juniors. ( If he stays healthy)

Actually Jukka Jalonen ( Finland's U20 team head coach), is coming to follow Finnish OHL players in october.
Jalonen has said Finland has five, potential world junior players in OHL

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yup, if this kid doesn't make the cut barring injury I promise to stop writing on this board.

At least, I promise to stop writing ****. :D

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For some reason I thought he was a RD...either way, looked nice from what I have seen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad