Prospect Info: LD Olli Juolevi - London Knights - 5th Overall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Blech....

Idk if it's just me but I like the look of Tryamkin/Pedan/Juolevi/Stecher/Biega hell maybe even Sbisa better than that 6-8

they were reliable over long stretches on a defense that took a real beating in 2011. Not one player on your list of defense other than Sbisa has proven anything yet.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's a reason he won best ohl defenseman last year.

Yep and there's a reason why Juolevi was the consensus best Dman in the draft according to NHL scouts. But seriously, if we are to be honest with ourselves, Juolevi and Sergachev are pretty close in terms of Dman at the time of the draft. The Oilers were reportedly prepared to draft Sergachev 4th overall if Pujujarvi didn't fall. Juolevi, on the other hand, had scouts predicting him to go in the top 4 or 5 even before the WJC. So it's not like Juolevi simply came on strong at the end. He was a guy that caught the eye of the scouts pretty much from the beginning of last season.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
There is a big difference between, being the best player NOW and being the best player 5 years from now.

Juolevi is much much smarter d-man then Sergachev, but Sergachev is more physically gifted. Who am I going to bet on being better in 5 years? Look at Horvat vs Nichushkin, Nichuskin was better at 18 but Horvat is better now.

Hell, look at Sean Day. The kid dominated junior hockey pre-CHL because he was so physically gifted and came into the CHL and didn't develop.

It's not relevant who is better now, we are drafting for who is better in 5 years.

Juolevi will grow into his body, he'll probably develop better then Sergachev because of his extreme H-IQ.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Yep and there's a reason why Juolevi was the consensus best Dman in the draft according to NHL scouts. But seriously, if we are to be honest with ourselves, Juolevi and Sergachev are pretty close in terms of Dman at the time of the draft. The Oilers were reportedly prepared to draft Sergachev 4th overall if Pujujarvi didn't fall. Juolevi, on the other hand, had scouts predicting him to go in the top 4 or 5 even before the WJC. So it's not like Juolevi simply came on strong at the end. He was a guy that caught the eye of the scouts pretty much from the beginning of last season.

I have Juolevi ahead of Sergachev but Juolevi being ahead of Sergachev is definitely not a consensus. However, I think you are mistaken about Juolevi's ranking during his draft year.

Juolevi was ranked 13th in September by Mckenzie
http://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099

Juolevi rose to 7th after World Juniors in Feb
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-mid-season-draft-ranking-topped-by-big-three-1.435206

Juolevi stayed 7th in April
http://www.tsn.ca/laine-closes-gap-on-matthews-atop-tsn-draft-rankings-1.478128

Juolevi ranks as 6th in the final rankings
http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

Juolevi definitely was not a top 4-5 pick before the world juniors. I don't even think he ever cracked the top 5 which was a general consensus throughout the entire year. A lot to do with Juolevi's rise is without a doubt from the WJC gold medal win.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
a weapon Canucks haters can now use.

An excuse to slam another pick by saying we didn't draft the best dman.

Juolevi is better.

Um...you don't have to be a "hater" to disagree with the pick? :dunno:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
a weapon Canucks haters can now use.

An excuse to slam another pick by saying we didn't draft the best dman.

Juolevi is better.

Everyone who doesn't like the pick is a hater? What do you call someone that likes the pick no matter what?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Saw his IQ and poise in flashes tonight but not ready for the NHL. Low key wish we picked Tkachuk still but Olli has a high floor so we got that going for us

lawrence

May 19, 2012
thought he was excellent tonight for a 18 year old. Plays were high percentage safe plays, and at times, his end to end rush reminds me of Duncan Keith taking it out of his zone. Kid is a beauty.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have Juolevi ahead of Sergachev but Juolevi being ahead of Sergachev is definitely not a consensus. However, I think you are mistaken about Juolevi's ranking during his draft year.

Juolevi ranks as 6th in the final rankings
http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

Juolevi definitely was not a top 4-5 pick before the world juniors. I don't even think he ever cracked the top 5 which was a general consensus throughout the entire year. A lot to do with Juolevi's rise is without a doubt from the WJC gold medal win.

First of all, according to the final TSN rankings you posted, Juolevi was the highest ranked Dman and here are some quotes:

It's an intriguing draft from the perspective of how subjective it is beyond the Big Three of Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi. It's a draft that seems to have "layers" or "clumps" of prospects to pick from.

For example, the first layer beyond the Big Three is a four-man grouping that includes three different types of wingers — Tkachuk, who is strong from the top of the circles down; Dubois, who has a strong 200-foot game; and Nylander, whose skill and hockey sense are considered elite — and the one defenceman Juolevi, who's viewed as the best all-around blueliner in the draft.

Outside of Juolevi, who had nine of 10 votes as a top-10 prospect, consensus wasn't easy to come by on the defencemen. Five of 10 scouts viewed Sergachev as a top-10 prospect.

TSN clearly believed that Juolevi was the consensus top Dman and he was in the same grouping as Dubois and Tkachuk.

This sportsnet article talked about Juolevi being a possible top 5 pick: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/scouts-like-juolevi-chychrun-nhl-draft/

Second of all, I remember reading or hearing that Juolevi had overtaken Chychrun before the WJC. I can't find any links or anything that says he was a possible top 5 pick at the time, so I take back that statement if you like as it doesn't matter.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
sergachev is already physically dominant as a defensemen thats a great asset

u can grow but u cant
magically have a 130+ iq like someone who makes decisons like olli does

the lidstrom comparrison hooked me from april i just cannot see a more of a pay off to a player than the smartest guy in the league who just needs to get professional skating and conditoning to unlock his true potential.

especially at 5th overall

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
First of all, according to the final TSN rankings you posted, Juolevi was the highest ranked Dman and here are some quotes:

TSN clearly believed that Juolevi was the consensus top Dman and he was in the same grouping as Dubois and Tkachuk.

This sportsnet article talked about Juolevi being a possible top 5 pick: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/scouts-like-juolevi-chychrun-nhl-draft/

Second of all, I remember reading or hearing that Juolevi had overtaken Chychrun before the WJC. I can't find any links or anything that says he was a possible top 5 pick at the time, so I take back that statement if you like as it doesn't matter.

Please keep looking for that top 5 before the WJC article I'd like to read it.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
When did he say that? He said it's another weapon for Canucks haters to use, not anyone who agrees with the article is a Canucks hater.

He's clearly taking shots at people who aren't exactly overly giddy about the pick, when they may have wanted someone else or think someone better was left on the board. That doesn't make them haters on the management, it means they have an opinion.

So I countered by asking, what is someone that blindly likes whatever management does, which is the opposite of apparently hating anything you don't agree with.

Juolevi isn't 'better' than Sergachev, nor is Sergachev better than Juolevi. You can't even come to that conclusion right now.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
No reason at all to rush this kid into the bigs, especially if Stecher develops. That would make four dmen under 25 on the team.

Just let him develop in London and maybe even a year in Utica. Captain the WJC team too

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not even remotely ready.

He didn't do anything stupid positionally last night but was physically timid and looked incredibly nervous with the puck on his stick. Was dominated in puck battles. Did make some nicer long passes in the third period but wasn't a great debut - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Will say again that I'm very disappointed that he's being sent back to the OHL (where he's already excelled and won everything he can win) instead of being stepped up a level to play in the SEL against men and start playing a higher-tempo game.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Why would a Finn go to Swedish Elite league though? :naughty:

I agree though. He has basically done all the things at the OHL level and playing against men would start injecting those correct habits into his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese