Prospect Info: LD Olli Juolevi - London Knights - 5th Overall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why would a Finn go to Swedish Elite league though? :naughty:

I agree though. He has basically done all the things at the OHL level and playing against men would start injecting those correct habits into his game.

Ha, sorry, the Finnish league.

But yeah, he's already done almost everything he can at that level, won a championship, excelled at the WJCs ... going to a mid-level European men's league to start refining pro habits would have been the perfect next step IMO. You could see the trouble he had with the pace of forecheckers last night, and another year in junior where he can outthink those guys with ease won't help on that front.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I attended the Ottawa 67s home opener, which was "guaranteed win" day, and they lost to the Barrie Colts (attending with my 3-year old, I watched maybe about 10% of the game so by the end I was cheering for Barrie to win to get free tickets).

So I just used them for the Feb. 20 game when London is in town... I've never really
seen a Canuck junior prospect play live before, so it should be interesting for the 5-10 minutes I'm not chasing after kids.

I expect Tkachuk (assuming he is sent back) to score like 7 goals, though.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He looked like the speed of the game was a bit much for him. Wasn't making smart passes and he didn't look comfortable out there. Maybe he gets better as the preseason goes along but right now it looks like he needs to go back to London.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Not even remotely ready.

He didn't do anything stupid positionally last night but was physically timid and looked incredibly nervous with the puck on his stick. Was dominated in puck battles. Did make some nicer long passes in the third period but wasn't a great debut - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Will say again that I'm very disappointed that he's being sent back to the OHL (where he's already excelled and won everything he can win) instead of being stepped up a level to play in the SEL against men and start playing a higher-tempo game.

Yeah it doesn't sound like this was even considered, which is weird. It's an excellent option to have.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Ha, sorry, the Finnish league.

But yeah, he's already done almost everything he can at that level, won a championship, excelled at the WJCs ... going to a mid-level European men's league to start refining pro habits would have been the perfect next step IMO. You could see the trouble he had with the pace of forecheckers last night, and another year in junior where he can outthink those guys with ease won't help on that front.

I think another year in the OHL won't hurt him. While the level of competition would be higher in the Finnish Liiga, the Hunters have an excellent program in London. In London he will get top minutes, PP, PK and a NA style of play which should boost his confidence. In Liiga he would get a higher level of competition but likely a lesser role on the team. The Finnish rinks vary in size; they are generally smaller than the standard Euro rink, but larger than NHL size. For a defenseman the smaller rink means the forecheckers are on you quicker and the angles are somewhat different.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
I thought Juolevi played pretty smart in his defensive zone, he made good reads all night and did a good job of taking sticks away and boxing out infront of his goalie. He did look timid but what 18 year old in his first NHL game wouldn't? He's one of the smartest 18 year old defenseman I've seen since Doughty. I'd lean towards giving him a few regular season games and see how he does before sending him back down to London but would totally understand if Lidster wants to get the defensive pairings set to develop chemistry from the get go. He was undoubtedly a step behind physically.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I thought Juolevi played pretty smart in his defensive zone, he made good reads all night and did a good job of taking sticks away and boxing out infront of his goalie. He did look timid but what 18 year old in his first NHL game wouldn't? He's one of the smartest 18 year old defenseman I've seen since Doughty. I'd lean towards giving him a few regular season games and see how he does before sending him back down to London but would totally understand if Lidster wants to get the defensive pairings set to develop chemistry from the get go. He was undoubtedly a step behind physically.

What stood out to you about his "smartness" to earn such heady praise?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think another year in the OHL won't hurt him. While the level of competition would be higher in the Finnish Liiga, the Hunters have an excellent program in London. In London he will get top minutes, PP, PK and a NA style of play which should boost his confidence. In Liiga he would get a higher level of competition but likely a lesser role on the team. The Finnish rinks vary in size; they are generally smaller than the standard Euro rink, but larger than NHL size. For a defenseman the smaller rink means the forecheckers are on you quicker and the angles are somewhat different.

To the bolded, he's already done all that to pretty much the maximum success possible from both a personal and team perspective.

And if he can't play a significant role in the SM-Liiga at this point ... he simply isn't a very good pick. He might not be a #1 guy but he should be getting #4-5 minutes at the very least at that level. Which would be a huge stepping stone toward potentially sticking here next year.

I'll also add that IMO the forechecking on big ice in a men's league will still be AGES ahead of the forechecking against teenagers in the OHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow it's almost like we didn't pick top 4 and therefore didn't even have the option to do so.

I think that was more a comment on the frustration of our incredibly unlucky draft position this year.

To have the worst goal differential in the NHL and end up drafting 5th in a draft that had a top tier 4 players deep is extremely disappointing. Especially when you look at the reward a team like Winnipeg got for having a much better season than we did.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think that was more a comment on the frustration of our incredibly unlucky draft position this year.

To have the worst goal differential in the NHL and end up drafting 5th in a draft that had a top tier 4 players deep is extremely disappointing. Especially when you look at the reward a team like Winnipeg got for having a much better season than we did.

Not to mention that every fan expected a late 1st for Hamhuis and 2nd for Vrbata.

What a ****** return for arguably the worst season in club history.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Not to mention that every fan expected a late 1st for Hamhuis and 2nd for Vrbata.

Stecher might save it tho, if he turns out to be a star, jimbo needs some credit.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

In pro sports they say that if you start listening to your fans you'll soon be in the stands with them.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No reason at all to rush this kid into the bigs, especially if Stecher develops. That would make four dmen under 25 on the team.

Just let him develop in London and maybe even a year in Utica. Captain the WJC team too

So 2 more seasons in London (including this one) and then starting a third season in Utica.? That's never been a bad route for a D-man by NHL standards. If he proves to be too good for the AHL, he goes right up. Forcing your way onto an NHL roster at 20 years old is the sign of a very good player with the likelihood of having a long and prosperous career. This would mirror the patient plan Linden is quoted as saying the Canucks were going to follow with Olli.

I'm not sure this will be a plan approved by much of the fan base, but fan opinions should have no impact on a competent NHL management team. On the other hand if the Canucks have a second dismal season in a row, it would not be surprising to see the newest toy inserted into the lineup as floundering management team would do in order to try and hold onto their tenable employment positions.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd keep Juolevi around as long as possible.
This is his 1st pre season, the best place for him to learn what it takes to make it in the NHL, every day he's there should be good for his development.

Last nights game was the 1st game at this level for him, prospects can grow a lot in just few games there and can see huge difference between games 1 and 3-4.
Then most likely send him down for OHL and challenge him to develop into elite 2 way defenseman, he has the IQ and skating for it.

I still say it in 12 months he wins a roster spot and has Maatta like rookie season, top4 D-player at the end of season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So 2 more seasons in London (including this one) and then starting a third season in Utica.? That's never been a bad route for a D-man by NHL standards. If he proves to be too good for the AHL, he goes right up. Forcing your way onto an NHL roster at 20 years old is the sign of a very good player with the likelihood of having a long and prosperous career. This would mirror the patient plan Linden is quoted as saying the Canucks were going to follow with Olli.

I'm not sure this will be a plan approved by much of the fan base, but fan opinions should have no impact on a competent NHL management team. On the other hand if the Canucks have a second dismal season in a row, it would not be surprising to see the newest toy inserted into the lineup as floundering management team would do in order to try and hold onto their tenable employment positions.

The other alternative is to go "the wild and crazy route'....trade Edler to Winnipeg for Jacob Trouba and then pair him with Juolevi or Stecher.....after all, it couldn't go any worse than the Jared McCann experiment of last season could it?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The other alternative is to go "the wild and crazy route'....trade Edler to Winnipeg for Jacob Trouba and then pair him with Juolevi or Stecher.....after all, it couldn't go any worse than the Jared McCann experiment of last season could it?

Trouba wants to be a RS D. We are full on that side, we used the open slot for gudbranson. The only way it works is if there is some extra trades to move Tanev. Edler+ for trouba, Trouba takes Tanev's spot, Tanev traded for a forward I guess. Rnh anyone? Or a LS D.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

...I can't believe you were the first to actually get it.

I'm not slagging Juolevi, he's a solid prospect. But we needed one of the NHL ready guys more than anyone else.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Just be glad we got that close. It took a 10 game losing streak to save us from drafting in their preferred position of 10-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad